Things You've Learnt From Fettling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Having nearly always built up my bikes myself, I'm finding it hard to come to terms with the new, complete bike. I have an urge to take it to bits and re-assemble it just to reassure myself. This is despite having discussed the components in some detail with Mr Hallett, who built it for me.

Bad Machine

In the garage .....
The time needed to identify the source of a creak, rattle or squeak is inversely proportional to its volume.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
So I consider myself a reasonably competent mechanic and will happily get stuck in with most jobs. So there I was the other day dropping the rear wheel out of the Kona so I could clean up a sticky piston in the brake calliper. I ended up pulling the wheel in and out a few times and each time cursing like mad and wishing I had three hands as I battled to get the axle past the rear mech, the cage and the disc in to the calliper all at the same time. Each time I kept seeing the small button on the SRAM Rival mech with a little padlock drawn on it. I fiddled with it once or twice, but couldn't make it do anything meaningful, so I just concentrated on the task at hand.

After packing up I decided to consult google to sate my curiosity and discovered that it's actually a nifty way of locking the mech cage in the forward position to reduce chain tension and negate all the problems I'd been having! Cunning really, but I wish I'd known about it before I embarked on my work. Ah well always next time.

Top Bottom