Things You've Learnt From Fettling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
People can't help having a go first even though they haven't the faintest idea what they're doing.

There's a few staff at work that the above comment could be applied to.... Never mind, the regular weekend overtime earned putting right various cock-ups always comes in handy!

Globalti

Legendary Member
Years of owning bikes, a house and a proper repairable Land Rover have taught me that however simple you think the job, an unforseen complication will arise, which leads to my prime rule of fettling: never start a job late on a Saturday morning when car spares shops, proper tool shops and proper plumbers' merchants are about to close.

There are always the DIY sheds but you won't get free advice or suggestions for a better solution with your purchase.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Another thing I've learned from owning a house and all the stuff that goes inside it is that everything has been manufactured and so most things can be disassembled and repaired to a large extent. That TV show The Repair Shop is a good example because some of the craftsmen and women are so resourceful and often have to make spare parts using some fascinating techniques.

The first fitting of a new set of SKS mudguards generates more swears per minute than any other activity known to man.
Very true - I always allow a few hours - they are trouble free once fitted though. I'd never use any others.

Quadratica

Regular
Fettling has taught me how expensive bike shops are.

I paid £52 for replacing headset bearings in 2015. The next time they needed replacing I thought £52 + inflation...NO. So I bought bearings for about £6 online and VERY carefully removed old ones, making notes and taking pics of exact order of bits. Replaced bearings and all bits and hey presto works like new! I felt very pleased with myself.

12boy

Guru
I've only learned 3 things really
If I think I can do it I can. If I don't it doesn't happen. Such things as Marathon pluses on Brompton rims come to mind, as do reinstalling the clips on SA hubs that hold the sprocket on.
I find things go better and faster if I approach the job with the idea that it will take as long as it takes. Having many bikes I enjoy riding, taking the time to do it right just means I will enjoy a different lovely bike until it's done.
Part of taking the time is keeping things clean and greased when reinstalling them.
I've spent many a contented hour working on bikes when I approach it as a good thing in itself.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Don't even try to bleed HyRd hydraulic brake calipers. And that's from someone who can do Honda linked brake systems on a motorbike without too much problems.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
From today.

If something doesn't fit , check each component in turn to see if something is fitted incorrectly, or the wrong part. Don't try and force it.

Found 160mm rear disc rotor was catching caliper. After a few checks diagnosed that the IS / post mount adapter was for 140mm rotors not 160mm rotors. Trip to Lbs supplied correct 160mm adapter and we were in business.

Top Bottom