Things You've Learnt From Fettling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Wear overalls or have specifice bike repair clothing. Chain oil & road grime mix is the most difficult substance to wash out and no matter how careful you are, it will get on whatever clothing you wear.

freiston

Veteran
A length of bootlace or sash cord can be useful for restraining a stubborn Schwalbe Marathon at one point when trying to fit to a wheel without resorting to the use of tyre levers. Cable straps also work just so long as you have cutters to hand afterwards.
In that sort of situation, I tend to use a toeclip strap. I haven't used toeclips for decades but I make sure that I have a few straps available. I sometimes use one as a front parking brake and I usually cinch one around my cape to stop it unrolling. They can come in handy in non-bike applications too.

Last edited:

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres are a b@stard to fit, and will happily chew up any misaligned brake block.

I found out the latter bit approaching a busy roundabout in the pouring rain the other night. Imagine my surprise and delight as I pulled the brake lever.

freiston

Veteran
My buttocks, as firm and tight as they may be, are not strong enough to crimp on a cable end.
Better stick to opening beer bottles with them then :tongue:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you've forgotten to do something like grease a bolt before tightening, then undo the bolt, grease it, then tighten up again. It's guaranteed that if you don't do it there and then, then you won't do it later. Next time you'll encounter the said component , it'll be corroded in place and you'll curse not correcting that minor mistake months or years back.

Top Bottom