Things you've missed seeing when cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As I rode away from the cafe stop I visit most often, I looked left into the trees for no particular reason and saw a ventilation tower for the railway tunnel that runs near where the cafe is. I must've been past this 50 odd times but never noticed this. A bit more googling revealed there's another one I've missed on Saxelbye hill.

It made me think; what are the buildings/landmarks etc. you've not noticed for years on a regular route?

Brandane

Legendary Member
what are the buildings/landmarks etc. you've not noticed for years on a regular route?
I'll let you know once I've noticed them! :okay:

winjim

Smash the cistern
My regular route takes me through the village of High Bradfield, just outside Sheffield. It was part of the TdF route. It's on the side of the Loxley valley so as you pass through it in one direction all your energy and attention is focussed on the climb. As you come the other way you need to concentrate on the descending left hand bend into the village. I must have been cycling up there scores of times and driven up to the pub quite a lot, but it wasn't until I went for a walk up there with the baby in the sling that I noticed the absolutely mahoosive Saxon motte & bailey just behind the church. It's in some trees, but honestly the thing is huge.

Here it is, taken from the crest of the climb up from Damflask reservoir. Can you spot it?

1200px-High_bradfield_village.jpg

airborneal

When riding in Spain with my Brother in law, he was leading. As we rode over the top of a hill [only about 13mph] a stray dog ambled across the road in front of him. I shouted to him but no reaction. At end of ride I said poor dog as it was obviously a stray, he had no idea what I was talking about ! Fortunately my camera picked up all the action.

OP
OP
T

tallliman

Guru
That motte is a good spot through the trees, makes sense why that wasn't spotted!

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
My regular route takes me through the village of High Bradfield, just outside Sheffield. It was part of the TdF route. It's on the side of the Loxley valley so as you pass through it in one direction all your energy and attention is focussed on the climb. As you come the other way you need to concentrate on the descending left hand bend into the village. I must have been cycling up there scores of times and driven up to the pub quite a lot, but it wasn't until I went for a walk up there with the baby in the sling that I noticed the absolutely mahoosive Saxon motte & bailey just behind the church. It's in some trees, but honestly the thing is huge.

Here it is, taken from the crest of the climb up from Damflask reservoir. Can you spot it?

View attachment 398610
Is it a Saxon one? Or a Norman one built by Saxons? I only ask as I recall a couple of years ago cycling in Herefordshire and in an estate agent's window there was a Saxon motte castle for sale! The blurb said it was one of only three in the country, I've wondered where the other two were, although of course it could just be estate agents speak. Good spot whichever one it is.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Is it a Saxon one? Or a Norman one built by Saxons? I only ask as I recall a couple of years ago cycling in Herefordshire and in an estate agent's window there was a Saxon motte castle for sale! The blurb said it was one of only three in the country, I've wondered where the other two were, although of course it could just be estate agents speak. Good spot whichever one it is.
The sign in the village has it as a 'Saxon settlement'. I've just looked it up and Historic England reckon it's 12th century.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1013217

Although confusingly there appears to be another smaller one on the other side of the village which I've also never noticed:

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1017612

I'll have to look out for that one next time I'm up that way.

hoopdriver

Guru
As a photographer I always though I noticed everything along my morning rides, but then when I actually started bringing my camera along and composing images along the way I realised how much I had been missing - all the details and minutiae of the landscape, streetscapes, seaside. Statues, scrollwork, plaques, little kiosks, architectural details, the often intricate Victorian ironwork on public benches, old letterboxes with the ciphers of Queen Victoria and Edward VII on them, the sinuous curve of a lane through the hedgerows etc. The more I rode, and the more images I shot, the more marvellous my every day route became. I showed some of my images to my editor once - he was a cyclist himself - and he sighed over the beauty of where I was privileged to take my daily rides and wished he had so picturesque a commute himself. It made me laugh. This was springtime. He was riding into work along the Potomac, through a landscape full of cherry blossoms and monuments. And he envied me?
Anyone just passing through where I take my morning ride would probably see nothing but a drab, faded old English seaside town. There is so much out there that is beautiful and picturesque, if we only take the time to look.

Top Bottom