Things you've missed seeing when cycling

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by tallliman, 4 Mar 2018.

1. hoopdriver

hoopdriver Veteran

As a photographer I always though I noticed everything along my morning rides, but then when I actually started bringing my camera along and composing images along the way I realised how much I had been missing - all the details and minutiae of the landscape, streetscapes, seaside. Statues, scrollwork, plaques, little kiosks, architectural details, the often intricate Victorian ironwork on public benches, old letterboxes with the ciphers of Queen Victoria and Edward VII on them, the sinuous curve of a lane through the hedgerows etc. The more I rode, and the more images I shot, the more marvellous my every day route became. I showed some of my images to my editor once - he was a cyclist himself - and he sighed over the beauty of where I was privileged to take my daily rides and wished he had so picturesque a commute himself. It made me laugh. This was springtime. He was riding into work along the Potomac, through a landscape full of cherry blossoms and monuments. And he envied me?
    Anyone just passing through where I take my morning ride would probably see nothing but a drab, faded old English seaside town. There is so much out there that is beautiful and picturesque, if we only take the time to look.

2. Paul_Smith SRCC

Paul_Smith SRCC Über Member

I realised I started to notice far more if I reduced my effort by a few mph.

Back in 2001 I rode Lejog, one of my first tours in an organised group, I rode the first few days as I had always done, not 'eyes balls out' but not dawdling either. Conversation during the evening meal when we were reminiscing the days ride I quickly realised that others had noticed far more than I had done.

Lejog had been a life affirming tick box for me, something that I had always wanted to do and I had finally got round to doing. I questioned why I had come all this way and here I was missing much of it; I may as well stayed at home! It also dawned on me that I cared more about enjoying the experience than being first at the campsite, plus I had chosen a group tour to meet new people and potentially make new friends.

So, I rode slower, noticed far far more, made some new cycling buddies who I still cycle with to this day and embraced cycling at a more leisurely pace; OK the latter may also be embracing that I can't go as fast anymore but he ho, every cloud....

Last edited: 6 Mar 2018
    Brandane likes this.
  3. Cuchilo

Cuchilo Prize winning member X2

Hanworth park house hidden in the trees . I never knew it was there then one day my mate said cut across the park by the big house . I was baffled .

HPH+historic+03.jpg

Longford-11.jpg

lazybloke, Gravity Aided and winjim like this.
  4. Alan O

Alan O Über Member

For a moment there, I really thought you were going to say you missed the Zeppelin :laugh:

HLaB and winjim like this.
  5. Cuchilo

Cuchilo Prize winning member X2

I did by about 40 years ^_^

6. Beautiful route he has, in spots. The cherry trees were a gift from the mayor of Tokyo, btw, in 1912. I think there are a couple thousand of them.
    You might also look at this thread, for more mailboxes
    https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/t...esting-geographs.215788/page-122#post-5173268
    That's just the current post, it's a long running thread.

7. EasyPeez

EasyPeez Über Member

I love a ride up to the Old Horns at Bradfield. Especially on days like this - 51The Old Horns1.JPG

HLaB and winjim like this.
  8. Siclo

Siclo Senior Member

Several times I'd passed this, just catching the word cyclists, so I made an effort to not go flying down the hill

36517263462_3c7a59ef65_z.jpg

It's a lovely sign and led to a bit of research on the National Cyclists Union.

Gravity Aided and EasyPeez like this.
  9. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

As @Paul_Smith SRCC says you see more when you ride a bit slower

I feel sorry for some cyclist's who spend quite a lot of saddle time but are going hell for leather and miss so much

Siclo and Gravity Aided like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    tallliman

tallliman Über Member

Managed to see the ventilation shaft that started this thread today....also saw a pillbox that I'd missed before!!

11. OT That reminds me of a Billy Connolly sketch about Tasmin.

The explorer on his 1642 voyage found Tasmania, and Fiji and went to Papa New Guinea, Mauritius and New Zealand etc but he f@@king missed Australia :laugh:

coco2 and Cuchilo like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice