Things you've missed seeing when cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
I realised I started to notice far more if I reduced my effort by a few mph.

Back in 2001 I rode Lejog, one of my first tours in an organised group, I rode the first few days as I had always done, not 'eyes balls out' but not dawdling either. Conversation during the evening meal when we were reminiscing the days ride I quickly realised that others had noticed far more than I had done.

Lejog had been a life affirming tick box for me, something that I had always wanted to do and I had finally got round to doing. I questioned why I had come all this way and here I was missing much of it; I may as well stayed at home! It also dawned on me that I cared more about enjoying the experience than being first at the campsite, plus I had chosen a group tour to meet new people and potentially make new friends.

So, I rode slower, noticed far far more, made some new cycling buddies who I still cycle with to this day and embraced cycling at a more leisurely pace; OK the latter may also be embracing that I can't go as fast anymore but he ho, every cloud....

Last edited:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Hanworth park house hidden in the trees . I never knew it was there then one day my mate said cut across the park by the big house . I was baffled .

HPH+historic+03.jpg

Longford-11.jpg

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
As a photographer I always though I noticed everything along my morning rides, but then when I actually started bringing my camera along and composing images along the way I realised how much I had been missing - all the details and minutiae of the landscape, streetscapes, seaside. Statues, scrollwork, plaques, little kiosks, architectural details, the often intricate Victorian ironwork on public benches, old letterboxes with the ciphers of Queen Victoria and Edward VII on them, the sinuous curve of a lane through the hedgerows etc. The more I rode, and the more images I shot, the more marvellous my every day route became. I showed some of my images to my editor once - he was a cyclist himself - and he sighed over the beauty of where I was privileged to take my daily rides and wished he had so picturesque a commute himself. It made me laugh. This was springtime. He was riding into work along the Potomac, through a landscape full of cherry blossoms and monuments. And he envied me?
Anyone just passing through where I take my morning ride would probably see nothing but a drab, faded old English seaside town. There is so much out there that is beautiful and picturesque, if we only take the time to look.
Beautiful route he has, in spots. The cherry trees were a gift from the mayor of Tokyo, btw, in 1912. I think there are a couple thousand of them.
You might also look at this thread, for more mailboxes
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/t...her-interesting-geographs.215788/post-5173268
That's just the current post, it's a long running thread.

OP
OP
T

tallliman

Guru
Managed to see the ventilation shaft that started this thread today....also saw a pillbox that I'd missed before!!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Not so much going slower. You don't realise how much you are looking down and missing things on an upright bike. There's loads of stuff I'll see on the recumbent as your vision is much more forwards and up. But talk to friends on their road bikes and they missed it. They were too busy staring at the road and nothing more than 12 feet off the ground.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Since my mate Chris got his new shorts a few weeks ago, I do get to miss seeing the hairy Grand Canyon. I am pleased about that as if he did not get new shorts I would have need to get fitter so I could stay in front all the time.

Top Bottom