Think I could have had a fight last night.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
...Derren Brown when he was confronted by an angry man he said "The wall outside my house is three feet tall" or something similar, the bloke was immediately on the back foot and Brown continued chatting away about utter nonsense totally defusing the situation as the angry man just didn't know how to reply :thumbsup:

I didn't know that. However, I've used the same technique with the occasional motorist shouting at me. At the end of each outburst I'll reply something like: "it's a bit thundery", "Probably quarter past three", or ".. keep straight on till you reach the church then it's second on the left."

Seems to work although I've never known why.

GC

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
True, true, but what would you call an altercation at a garden centre?

Fencing?

GC

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Unfortunately not, perhaps I should invest in one :whistle:

It did cross my mind at the time, but couldn't think of what else to say. I read recently, could have been on here so it must be true, about Derren Brown when he was confronted by an angry man he said "The wall outside my house is three feet tall" or something similar, the bloke was immediately on the back foot and Brown continued chatting away about utter nonsense totally defusing the situation as the angry man just didn't know how to reply :thumbsup:

This is also simular to the drop your pants and swing your willy around method of defusing a angry man situation.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well I have to say I have a slightly different interpretation.

I really don't like it when people don't control their dogs -how do you know what happened prior to this? What if her dog had had a go at that father and daughter? (regardless of size, being bitten is no fun). Or their dog (which was leashed by the sounds of it) was attacked? I'm not saying it excuses his behaviour, but it could certainly explain a lot, and if I was in that situation I might not take to kindly to being asked to calm down either. I think I'd prefer to be asked "is everything alright?" -seems a bit more neutral.

Obviously don't know the situation, but it would have been interesting to find out what had happened prior to this.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
@Nigeyy, I agree, I have no idea what had happened before I arrived, the womans dog may have been running amok causing untold havoc, but I don't think you should be poking your fingers into someone elses face whilst screaming at them, I think a little self control was called for. Had the guy continued shouting I probably would have hung around to make sure things didn't escalate whilst basically minding my own business but this guy was starting to lose control.
I like "is everything alright?" though :thumbsup:

Top Bottom