Think I got scammed :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tatsumaru

I bought a bike online from the Everest website (this bike) and I wasnt sure if they had received my payment since I got an error message after I completed the online payment form. First I used the direct debit way of paying, but I got a error message so I used pay pal. I got another error message.

So I checked my bank account using online banking and it had said the money had been withdrawn (the exact amount of the bike) I also tried calling the number on the website a few times but it just rings no one answers.

Has anyone here ever bought a bike from Everest bikes?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I bought a bike online from the Everest website (this bike) and I wasnt sure if they had received my payment since I got an error message after I completed the online payment form. First I used the direct debit way of paying, but I got a error message so I used pay pal. I got another error message.

So I checked my bank account using online banking and it had said the money had been withdrawn (the exact amount of the bike) I also tried calling the number on the website a few times but it just rings no one answers.

Has anyone here ever bought a bike from Everest bikes?

Hate to say it but it sounds like you have paid twice. Get onto Paypal and your bank ASAP.If it is a genuine company no problem if not the sooner you deal with it the better.

Having looked at their website it certainly looks genuine with a phone number and address.Maybe just short staffed and not answering calls today.

Any Leamington Spa CCers that could check out this address for the OP. Everest Bikes
Warwick House
32 Clarendon Street
Leamington Spa
CV32 4PG

OP
OP
T

tatsumaru

Hate to say it but it sounds like you have paid twice. Get onto Paypal and your bank ASAP.If it is a genuine company no problem if not the sooner you deal with it the better.

Having looked at their website it certainly looks genuine with a phone number and address.Maybe just short staffed and not answering calls today.

Any Leamington Spa CCers that could check out this address for the OP. Everest Bikes
Warwick House
32 Clarendon Street
Leamington Spa
CV32 4PG

Yes possibly I called my bank and they said the payment went through, and thank fully I didnt pay twice :biggrin:

And your probably right they could be short staffed Il give it a few more days before I start to panic.

RedBike

There is a landline phone number and address on their website so I would keep trying to contact the company.
You also need to contact your bank to cancel the direct debit before the first payment is taken.

I've just had a look at the bikes on their website and to be perfectly honest I would look at cancelling the order for both bikes and starting a new "What bike" thread on here.

The five pictures of 'the bike' all have different parts in them so lord knows what you're going to get.

Banjo

Yes possibly I called my bank and they said the payment went through, and thank fully I didnt pay twice :biggrin:

And your probably right they could be short staffed Il give it a few more days before I start to panic.

It depends on how you set your paypal account up. You may have paid once through the bank and once through paypal if its connected to a credit card or different account. login and see if theres any recent Paypal payments gone out.

I've once managed to buy online from a company which I think had ceased trading. I'd also mucked up and paid twice due to an error when checking out. If you paid via credit card it will normally be refunded. My bank did refund the money but I did have to send a letter to them setting out the detail (and of course it did take a few weeks ISTR).

BSRU

A Human Being
Bad news, I checked the domain name, something I always do before using a new site and it looks like a Chinese scam:-
Domain name:
everestbikes.co.uk

Registrant:
Yixiang Zhang

Registrant type:
Non-UK Individual

Registrant's address:
Building 13, No. 14 Xue Yuan Road,
Hai Dian, Beijing
China

Registrar:
Fibranet Services Ltd [Tag = FIBRANET]
URL: http://www.freeparking.co.uk

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 01-Jun-2008
Renewal date: 01-Jun-2012
Last updated: 15-Jun-2010

Banjo

I just phoned the phone number on the website a chinese sounding guy answered with just a hello. I asked if it was Everset Cycles and he replied it was. I Made some excuses and hung up.

Not neccessarilly dodgy but will wait to see the outcome with interest.

LizardEye

Browsing round the site out of curiosity and this has to be the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

Hope you get your money back BTW

Cyclist33

I once bought 3 identical sofas by virtue of errors at the online "transact" stage... it was a genuine site and with a bit of help from them and my bank, the refunds were in my bank account 4 days later. It wasn't a big problem, just that the money, once transferred, takes a few days "in the aether" before it comes back to your bank account.

BUT! In this case, how can I be sure? I'm not the customer; you are. You should call your bank asap, and trading standards. See what you might be able to do. Cancel as many of the payments as you possibly can immediately. If you really want a 100 quid full-suspension bike, try Halfords or a high street bike chain that sells cheap models. Do it in person, don't buy it online. The clincher for me on the site you linked to was that it said "suitable for heights 5 foot zero to 6 foot 2, which is preposterous in bike sizing terms. No way two people 14 inches apart in height can safely ride the same bike.

What do you want to ride for? Is it commuting? Fun? Etc. It's definitely worth doing a spot of budgeting. If like me, your weekly bus commute would come to 15 quid a week, consider this: if you get a bike on finance (or save up) and pay 30 quid a month for a year, you can have a £360 bike for half as much as your annual bus fare would come to. It's quite a saving, plus you will actually be able to enjoy riding a bike at that value - whereas a £99 bike won't really cope with much.

Stu

Top Bottom