Think I'll open a cycle spares shop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
No cable inners, I've got about 4 full sets (as well as pretty much everything you've listed)

Alan O

Über Member
I've built up a few vintage bikes over the past couple of years, and there are plenty of parts to be had on eBay. The problem is it's hard to know what combination of components will work best, but as there's so much going cheap I just bought a load of stuff with the intention of choosing what works best and reselling the rest - chainsets, derailleurs, stems, handlebars, brakes...

The trouble is, I didn't really get round to the second part of the plan - the reselling bit. I have sold things I genuinely don't like and will never use (like a Biopace 52/42, which is no good for my old legs these days) and I've given away a few bits where there's clearly a better home for them than mine.

But with the parts I have left, I can't help thinking I should keep them on the off chance I might build another vintage bike or two next year :rolleyes:

And it brings me to another thought I've often had... Looking at the silly low prices that good old bikes (with good old components) go for on eBay, I'm convinced there's profit to be made by buying and stripping them and selling the components. But I just can't bring myself to what I see as an act of destruction.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No cable inners, I've got about 4 full sets (as well as pretty much everything you've listed)
Another look this morning turned up three gear inners and brake cable plus outer, a fancy dan bottle cage I once thought might not look quite like a pile of shyte once it was on the bike but sadly did, and a Tiagra rear mech that I can't for the life of me ever remember buying or taking off a bike, but I must have done because it has been used.

There's also a Cannondale CAAD2 all alu frame up their, but I did know I had that.

robgul

Legendary Member
Or at least I could. Clearing out the garage loft today I found four brand new inner tubes, still boxed, three stems, a seatpost, a chainset, three pair of pedals and a headset. I'd forgotten I had them.

Huh - you're just an amateur in the "cycling stuff" stakes - I need to take stock and flog some things (I have some luggage items on the For Sale section) - I have at least 10 tyres, 20+ innertubes, 5 or 6 chainsets, 5 pairs of pedals, at least 7 stems ... it goes on .. and don't forget the two multi-drawer boxes with all sorts of bits and pieces. At the moment down to only about 7 bikes from a peak of 16 a few years ago.

Rob

Top Bottom