1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Think I'll slow down a bit

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by neslon, 11 Jan 2008.

1. neslon

neslon Well-Known Member

The thing about black ice is that you can't see it. Still, it was pitch black (0700 this am), and was probably going too quickly for the roundabout given that there was frost & ice (it was above 0 when I left the house). I turned left, the bike didn't & in a second I'd lost it. Luckily (absolutely true) the bus we both slid under had come to a standstill.

No injuries other than gravel rash on left elbow & mammoth bruise on left calf. Bike OK, GoreWear jacket torn apart :eek: .

Seriously folks, take care when its icy, you never can tell when you are going to lose it, & when you do, its unstoppable.

2. I slid on black oil.:eek:

3. Maz

Maz Guru

uf. that was a close one neslon. Very scary.
    I sometimes wonder if the accident would be worse if you ride clipless, like I do, feet not unclipping in time etc.

4. CarnageAX

CarnageAX New Member

I thought this was a problem too but when I fell off (duh) my feet came free and I was able to get one down to save my knees; call it a knee-jerk reaction!

Clipless forever...

5. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Bloody hell - glad you were (more or less) ok.

Had a bit of a skid myself today, but escaped with a minor top tube/crotch meeting rather than a full on fall.

6. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

both?

no brainer to be very very careful on anything other than straight ahead when there's ice

hard luck if your first inkling is on a roundabout though, nut you've said the obvious

7. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Neslon - keep safe man !!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Black ice is probably the most difficult road condition to experience as it's almost impossible to see in advance. Glad things turned out not to bad Nelson, but it shows all of us that in the winter care is needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

everyone learns there's ice the hard way but once you do know it's about it is predicatable, funny how the brain switches into spot the bloody ice mode

10. longers

longers Veteran

Glad you're ok, Jackets can be replaced, you can't.

11. goo_mason

goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

I think my 5-falls-in-one-icy-journey in December taught me a lesson - it was worse today and yet I managed the 20-mile round trip without mishap.

Yes, it was 15 minutes slower than my usual time, but ultra-cautious is the name of the game (as is getting off and walking down the grass verge on ice-covered sloping paths, since I found out last time that no matter how you inch down these astride the bike with one foot on the ground, you can still fall off and snap off your mudguard and rear-light bracket ;)

Hope everyone else made it home in one piece. Hope you feel less sore & bruised soon, Neslon.

12. Don't think there is any ice around on todays commute.:biggrin:

13. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

christ's sake fella, what you doing up that early, and for a commute to boot?

14. gambatte

gambatte Middle of the pack...

Lucky for me that apart from the first 100yds the route I take is always thoroughly gritted

15. thewrinklyninja

thewrinklyninja Active Member

I did similar this morning, but with my car. Following the road. Turned the steering wheel, car kept going forwards until it met a lamp post. Car is now written off. My winter just keeps getting better and better