Thinking about cancelling my Sky internet monthly debit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Maybe, but one call to Bt and my recent fault was fixed. :thumbsup:

You're lucky - it took BT and their cohorts at Openreach months to fix a problem with our internet, including missed appointments and being told nothing was wrong despite being unable to get a connection.
The guy who fixed it said it was pure luck that the fault occured when he'd had his box of tricks plugged in, or he'd have also closed the job off as no fault found due to "policy".

I'd swap, but the final connection into the house is with them regardless of who you pay each month

I'd swap, but the final connection into the house is with them regardless of who you pay each month
Different companies have different service levels with BT though. Some actually pay for better than BT provide as standard. Once again, I recommend Zen internet, service levels when something does go wrong, which, let's face it, is when you need it most, are excellent.

gavgav

Guru
For three hours so far this morning my internet has been on and off,mostly off. I've re-set it 3 times but no luck. This is about the 5th time I've had to put up with this is the last few weeks. I pay £33 a month for a crap service! If I go into my bank and tell them to stop the direct debit what will Sky do? Please understand that I might not be able to respond to replies for a while due to this crap service i'm getting/not getting!!:angry:
I have the same issues with BT , they are all as bad as each other!

Slick

Guru
You're lucky - it took BT and their cohorts at Openreach months to fix a problem with our internet, including missed appointments and being told nothing was wrong despite being unable to get a connection.
The guy who fixed it said it was pure luck that the fault occured when he'd had his box of tricks plugged in, or he'd have also closed the job off as no fault found due to "policy".

Yeah, I knew as I posted that, someone else would have a different experience. I can only post as I find though and in all the years of supply, they have rarely skipped a beat and any issues, fixed same day that weren't a major fault.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Yeah, I knew as I posted that, someone else would have a different experience. I can only post as I find though and in all the years of supply, they have rarely skipped a beat and any issues, fixed same day that weren't a major fault.

To be fair, we've been with them for years and this is the first serious problem we've had - however their handling of it was shocking.
According to the guy that finally fixed it (corroded connection on the telegraph pole outside) if their box of tricks doesn't say there is a fault it has to be closed off there and then as "no fault found" regardless of what the customer says - no further checks, nothing. As it was an intermittent fault (which resulted in the total loss of internet, sometimes for hours at a time) we got really messed around including two days off work for missed appointments where they simply failed to show up - no call, nothing.

13 rider

Guru
If there is a fault on the line it will be there which ever supplier you use . The only other option is if your street has a separate virgin feed which is completely separate to openreach (bt) network . You need to get sky to get openreach to check the line to rectify the fault . Then if not happy with sky customer service you can switch .Putting on my Hard hat on I am an openreach engineer intermittent broadband faults are a nightmare to fault because of their nature they are intermittent and any amount of electrical testing may not show any fault conditions

gavgav

Guru
If there is a fault on the line it will be there which ever supplier you use . The only other option is if your street has a separate virgin feed which is completely separate to openreach (bt) network . You need to get sky to get openreach to check the line to rectify the fault . Then if not happy with sky customer service you can switch .Putting on my Hard hat on I am an openreach engineer intermittent broadband faults are a nightmare to fault because of their nature they are intermittent and any amount of electrical testing may not show any fault conditions
I’ve always found the Openreach end of things fine, it’s the bit before you get that far!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Never had an issue with BT - relatively new house/exchange and top end fibre, but cheap it isn't. Phone Sky, complain, and if not fixed move companies. Don't cancel the DD.

Daddy Pig

Veteran
Would this be the same issue for the neighbours? If not, then would this likely be a cable into, or in the home issue?

Personally I use Vodafone broadband, high speed and around £24pm including the landline. I also get a much more stable signal having moved from BT, ping rates much improved.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member

It was difficult to fault the actual engineer (when one finally turned up) but the corporate approach was terrible.

As an Engineer myself (automotive), even if the fault code reader says NFF, if the customer is still experiencing the problem you start ruling out the obvious stuff, like connections. The fact that Openreach apparently forbid their engineers from doing so is pretty poor.

13 rider

Guru
It was difficult to fault the actual engineer (when one finally turned up) but the corporate approach was terrible.

As an Engineer myself (automotive), even if the fault code reader says NFF, if the customer is still experiencing the problem you start ruling out the obvious stuff, like connections. The fact that Openreach apparently forbid their engineers from doing so is pretty poor.
Yes I admit we are a terrible company to deal that's why I often don't admit working for them . often missed appointments are down to the provider informing the customer were coming before we have confirmed it with them . Openreach don't forbid you from doing some extras checks but we are under pressure to complete as many jobs as possible . My policy is check as much as you can and change part of the circuit to rule that out if you do return

13 rider

Guru
Would this be the same issue for the neighbours? If not, then would this likely be a cable into, or in the home issue?

Personally I use Vodafone broadband, high speed and around £24pm including the landline. I also get a much more stable signal having moved from BT, ping rates much improved.
The circuit works on a pair of wires in a multicore cable the fault could just be on 1 pair and therefore not effect your nearest neighbours

Top Bottom