Thinking about cancelling my Sky internet monthly debit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
'm paying about £17 to Plusnet. That doesn't include free calls and call charges are high, but I don't use my landline for outgoing calls

Those high call charges aren't summat daft like 3 quid a minute are they Colin?:smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Those high call charges aren't summat daft like 3 quid a minute are they Colin?:smile:
Not quite, but still steep...

PlusNet tariff list said:
Call set up fees
A call set up fee of 22p is applied to chargeable calls unless stated otherwise on this page.

These are the standard rates for calls to UK landlines, UK mobiles and non geographic numbers. UK rates include calls to the Channel Islands.

Number Rate at all times
01, 02, 03 13.50p per minute
All mobile networks 15.00p per minute

Service numbers

Service numbers are defined as calls to non-geographic numbers such as Premium Rate services, Directory Enquiries and calls to Internet Services. The charge for calls to service numbers beginning 084, 087, 09 and 118 consists of a 9.58p per minute access charge from Plusnet, plus a service charge set by the company you called.
For example: five 2-minute calls to normal landline numbers would cost you 5 * (22p + (2 * 13.5p)) = £2.45.

It doesn't bother me because I have 500 minutes a month on my mobile plan and normally only use about 10-30 minutes of that so I never need to make calls from the landline.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Oh, and you can get a pretty good mobile deal from them too

Maybe I could get a mobile phone and get rid of the landline. Like I said earlier,it's hardly used. I must get about 1 or 2 incoming calls a month. When i'm asked for my phone number either for business purposes or when signing up to accounts to buy stuff online they tend to ask for a mobile rather than a landline number.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Maybe I could get a mobile phone and get rid of the landline. Like I said earlier,it's hardly used. I must get about 1 or 2 incoming calls a month. When i'm asked for my phone number either for business purposes or when signing up to accounts to buy stuff online they tend to ask for a mobile rather than a landline number.
But you still need to pay line rental to get the broadband unless you do the internet over the phone too and you would probably use too much data for most affordable mobile plans.

Just make the calls on the mobile and keep the landline for the internet connection like me?

classic33

Leg End Member
If you read back, I’m a Zen customer. Their offices are in Rochdale. My attempt at cross border humour passed you by
Call centres in Aberdeen & Durham, Head Office in Rochdale.

Added
Same building(and some of directors) of the NHS appointment service.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member

In my view there is little point to having a landline for calls. We have Sky internet and the call charges are, understandably, huge. Our broadband is, including landline rental, £25/month. I have a Tesco mobile sim only £5/month and get 250mb, 100 minutes and 100 texts. This more than covers my needs.

I simp!y do not understand why people feel the need for more data. Public wifi is available everywhere. My phone logs in to wifi everywhere I go especially places I visit regularly.

For example this month we were on holiday in Portugal and I like to be sure I won't run out of data. I upped my pack to £10 and got 3gb of which I've used 422mb in 18 days.

Buy a decent low cost smart phone - Motorola or Huawei - for £150/200 at most. Get a Tesco or O2 sim only pack and away you go. The rest is nonsensical advertising hype largely swallowed hook, line and sinker by a gullible audience.

Top Bottom