Thinking about clipless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
So... I want to use my bike for more out and about 50+mile rides, currently my bike has standard flat pedals which do me fine. But after reading about clips less (one article claims 25% more efficient - is that true?) I'm thinking that maybe its time to upgrade.

Question is I'm a little lost - I have a road bike, mostly intrested in more efficient riding opposed to speed increases. But anything that makes a long ride easier or more efficient is good with me :smile: I know there are a few types, but for you standard road biking would one design be better than another?

On other issue I'm looking for an opinion on. I plan to use flat pedals though the week (on my commute) and fit clipless pedals when I plan on longer rides. Is this something anyone has done or considered?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I think 25% extra efficiency is way ott. For me the advantage of clipless is the total connection with the bike. You can power up a hill without any risk of slipping.

Finnjävel

For me, they increase comfort as they keep my feet right where they should be. And make sure they don't slip. Not sure if they really help with speed really.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
You can get double sided pedals that have clips on one side and normal pedals flats on t'other. I'm about to try spd pedal but was put off getting double sided pedals because the spd part naturally hangs down, surely making things tricky for a clipless n00b.

Zakalwe

You can potentially use the full 360 degrees of motion in the cranks to apply power to the drivetrain, which is where the improved efficiency comes from, but figures and percentages are nonsense. You'll feel connected and that you're being more efficient which is nice. Your feet don't slip so you will be confident in giving it the beans whenever you like. You'll be able to wear specific cycling shoes which really are worth every penny due to comfort and stiffness in the sole. You might fall over when getting used to clipping in and out. You'll learn how to do it quickly. You'll never want to ride on flat pedals again once you do.

vickster

Legendary Member
You can get double sided pedals that have clips on one side and normal pedals flats on t'other. I'm about to try spd pedal but was put off getting double sided pedals because the spd part naturally hangs down, surely making things tricky for a clipless n00b.

I have these on my commuter, frankly they are an utter pita - they are never ever the right way round when I move off - always the SPD part upwards when wearing trainers and I can guarantee they'd be flat side up if wearing SPD shoes...!! I need to decide whether to go completely clipless (although not keen for commuting) or completely flat. I have SPDs on my other road bike but need to ride it more, flat pedals on the MTB which I really need to ride more!!

defy-one

If your riding involves little walking off the bike then get spd-sl pedals. Road shoes will have protruding cleats. They give a large surface area for your foot to push on and are very comfortable.
If you want to walk around on the same footwear then consider spd pedals. The shoe resembles a hiking/trainer and the cleat is much smaller. It is also recessed within the shoe,allowing you to walk around. Smaller area in contact but more flexible in use to a pure road shoe.
Ignore the purists and fit what best serves your need.

Cheshire Celt

Legend
Don't think about it, Do it.:whistle:

Deffo ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this

Lee_M

Guru
Do it!

I went for Look Keo on my roadbike when I first got it - took me about 2 minutes to get used to riding with them, a bit longer to put my foot back in after stopping at lights etc but it gets better with practice.
Just practice getting your foot out a couple of times before you set off

Also just put spd pedals onto my hybrid for commuting - less experience of them therefore, but I got double sided to make it easier on the way to work,

Whichever you pick you'll wonder how you ever managed without them

Sca1ey

The thought of switching to clipless is quite daunting but once you've got going it's fine, but just remember to unclip early until you get used to them.

Then one day you'll have a clipless moment and end up in a heap; it happens to everyone; don't worry about it, just accept it - you'll never go back to flats.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The thought of switching to clipless is quite daunting but once you've got going it's fine, but just remember to unclip early until you get used to them.

Then one day you'll have a clipless moment and end up in a heap; it happens to everyone; don't worry about it, just accept it - you'll never go back to flats.

No it doesn't

defy-one

Ok to most then :smile:
Me included. I was more concerned about the Defy than my cut knee. Luckily a small scratch on rear QR lever and a big dent in my pride!

Been fine since

Top Bottom