Thinking night travel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
While I try to keep a 360 view during the day, I am wondering when traveling on rural roads how to be better prepared for the four legged creatures that may be near those roads. I am thinking of trying to be firmly off the road with just enough space from cars and even in the grass when cars are approaching. Also thinking of having a trailer behind me. Not sure if too much of a load to keep my rear baskets and trailer.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Don't you think you might be over-thinking the issue? I know from your other posts that you live in the USA where you have additional forms of wildlife to that which we are used to in the UK., but still.......

I am a motorbiker as well as a cyclist, and must admit that the thought of a collision with a deer, fox, or even a rabbit on the road spooks me. It can have fatal consequences, or worse (and yes I do mean worse than death - the thought of being spoon fed and having it wiped off at the other end for the rest of my days, and a burden to someone, is to me worse than death). However, all activities have risks, and we just have to accept that and get on with it. Either that or wrap ourselves in cotton wool and live a miserable existence to a ripe old age!

My advice FWIW is to just get out on your bike and enjoy it. Take sensible precautions like using good quality lights on the road at night and avoid busy, narrow, fast roads. Wildlife is the least of your problems! Unless of course you are talking about bears; in which case - good luck.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd stick to the road rather than the grass. The grass may be hiding some of those for four legged animals you are trying to avoid.
There's also the chance of the no legged creatures in the grass.

Make certain that your trailer has a working rear light on it. It will give a better indication of where the rear of your vehicle actually is.

Edited to correct for auto correct, which seems to be playing up at present.

Last edited:

cwskas

Über Member
While I try to keep a 360 view during the day, I am wondering when traveling on rural roads how to be better prepared for the four legged creatures that may be near those roads. I am thinking of trying to be firmly off the road with just enough space from cars and even in the grass when cars are approaching. Also thinking of having a trailer behind me. Not sure if too much of a load to keep my rear baskets and trailer.

I like to ride at night and my main concern at first was hitting a skunk! However, I am more comfortable now. I have a good light, I love to ride on nights with a significant moon since it is very pretty and increases my chance of seeing what is coming.

@mayfieldga , it's probably a good idea to let people know where you're located as the advice can be very different.

Now, are you actually talking about touring at night or just riding your bike at night?
Personally, I can't imagine touring at night - I'd see nothing unless I was in the land of the midnight sun.

If it's riding generally at night a bit more info would be helpful such as the types of roads and the levels of traffic. And the reasons.

I've cycled at night (commuting) but that was on dedicated cycle paths that I knew very well. I've rarely cycled at night when touring except in emergency and it's not fun. (The one exception was on the Natchez Trace Parkway because it is so, so quiet and the surface is pristine).

You talk of animals but my worries would be traffic and road surfaces. In a monochrome world (as it often is at night) holes, cracks, puddles, gravel can be very difficult to see. As is the edge of the road. Last minute avoidance depends very much on traffic.

I can't imagine taking to the verge to avoid traffic on a regular basis. I have done it but that was daytime, in exceptional circumstances.

Maybe come back with a bit more info for better advice.

At a minimum, really, really good lights are vital. Practice will help with skills and confidence.

I like to ride at night and my main concern at first was hitting a skunk! However, I am more comfortable now. I have a good light, I love to ride on nights with a significant moon since it is very pretty and increases my chance of seeing what is coming.
@cwskas , you know I 😍 you but you're missing out an important piece of info - your bike!!^_^ or should I say trike!
There's a big difference in your stability and mine if hitting a pothole in the dark or being hit by a jumping animal.
Falling off at night is a big fear of mine, laid out on the road at the mercy of drivers with lights broken or pointing in the wrong direction.

OP
OP
M

mayfieldga

So not that worried about the larger four legged animals. Now there may be a difference as I will be traveling between small towns with lots of woods.

OP
OP
M

mayfieldga

It's like a trailer. I won't be going fast as I will be using a single speed. Speed will not be an issue, with light, will not have a problem with potholes. I will have plenty of light and distance. Am thinking about having two lights though one spread center and to the right with another perhaps more to the left.

cwskas

Über Member
@cwskas , you know I 😍 you but you're missing out an important piece of info - your bike!!^_^ or should I say trike!
There's a big difference in your stability and mine if hitting a pothole in the dark or being hit by a jumping animal.
Falling off at night is a big fear of mine, laid out on the road at the mercy of drivers with lights broken or pointing in the wrong direction.

How correct you are. I do have that advantage. I also am riding a familiar road with fine shoulders and normally almost traffic free in the early mornings before sunrise.

OP
OP
M

mayfieldga

If I am touring say for months/year, then for during the heat of the summer, I am then planning to travel at night and rest during the day. I am preparing for a long term need to use my bicycle and trailer as home, resting when I can. I am preparing for much space between towns with no light. yep the jumping animals are an issue here. Trying to prepare for that. I am in middle Georgia and will be also riding toward coast southeast Georgia and even through Florida during the winter. May need understanding safety trying to move slowly through either smaller towns and rural. From the discussion, seem to think smaller towns when having a choice.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Fit at least one red light, at the extreme outside as possible, to the rear of your trailer. Don't rely just on those on your bike. You want to make known where the rear actually is as much as your width on the road.

If I am touring say for months/year, then for during the heat of the summer, I am then planning to travel at night and rest during the day. I am preparing for a long term need to use my bicycle and trailer as home, resting when I can. I am preparing for much space between towns with no light. yep the jumping animals are an issue here. Trying to prepare for that. I am in middle Georgia and will be also riding toward coast southeast Georgia and even through Florida during the winter. May need understanding safety trying to move slowly through either smaller towns and rural. From the discussion, seem to think smaller towns when having a choice.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3dU&doctype=journal is a useful resource for anyone thinking about long distance touring.

I've not come across many accounts of people touring at night to avoid heat. Certainly, folks leave early, take a break at midday and ride into the evening, but at night? I've not come across many. One cyclist in Australia who attempted that was hot by a kangaroo and his bike was so damaged it needed to be welded by a local farmer.

Other than animals and traffic any kind of repair (think puncture) is a lot more difficult in the dark. Stores may not be open and there's the general lack of contact with people. Being off grid can be nice for a while but we all need human contact. At night, in the dark that's far more difficult.

It's not clear if you are planning to stealth camp during the day? That's rare! The chances of being seen are much, much higher. The normal for stealth camping is to leave at first light, not to set up camp.

If you're thinking of the occasional night ride, that's one thing. If you're considering a significant time on the road travelling at night I'd strongly urge you to consider alternatives. Early morning departure, midday break, evening finish.

OP
OP
M

mayfieldga

I see those possibilities with store light the way it is today and a supply of patch, tube, pump, can patch I don't see punctures as a problem. Oh yes stealth camping during the day would be more difficult; however travel during the day may also present its problems during the mid ninety heat. Where I live there are more woods and less people offering many unseen places for rest. However near the coast and in florida there are milder temperatures, so traveling during the day may be better then. the early morning mid day break and finish late in afternoon does offer much potential. That may be a wonderful alternative. Will try to work with both ideas.

Top Bottom