Thinking of buying a cheap motorbike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi,
As the weeks have rolled along being stuck at home I've been watching lots of YouTube content. Somehow I've managed to get watching clips on motorbikes and it's reignited my interest in them. Ive got a full bike licence but it's been many many years since I've owned one.
I've been looking at the cheap Chinese bikes and although a little dubious about there quality and longevity they really seem to have come along way in the last few years with quality. I'm quite taken with the lexmoto assault 125. I don't want anything fast but would like something that can be used for light green laneing along the filthy lanes that abundant my area. It would also can in handy as a commuter back that would do more than 100mpg.
New they cost £1500 with a claimed good warranty and service back up.
I'm pretty tempted to take the plunge back into motorbikes again but still sitting on the fence as to what to do 🤔

Drago

Legendary Member
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, its @keithmac !!!

keithmac

Guru
They aren't bad bikes at all now (Lexmoto), as long as you keep it clean and chain well lubed you can't go far wrong.

Warranty parts are supplied next day most of the time and they are FAR nicer to deal with than some Italian firms with bikes at 3x the price..

The engines are well made, just keep an eye on the engine oil level (which is a weekly check/ general maintenance anyway imho).

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have got the Honda Innova. I think it is now called the Honda Wave. Its an excellent little bike that is cheap to run and made to keep up with modern day traffic. Well worth a look.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
They aren't bad bikes at all now (Lexmoto), as long as you keep it clean and chain well lubed you can't go far wrong.

Warranty parts are supplied next day most of the time and they are FAR nicer to deal with than some Italian firms with bikes at 3x the price..

The engines are well made, just keep an eye on the engine oil level (which is a weekly check/ general maintenance anyway imho).
As you may know, my new Lexmoto Isca has been sitting in the garage since last Saturday waiting for my finger to heal enough to get a glove on. I did consider the Assault which is 100 quid cheaper, but was put of by a YouTube video saying the knobbly front tyre felt a bit unsure on tarmac. If the quality matches the looks I'll be happy.

BTW Keith, I'm assuming 5/30 fully synthetic for those engines?

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi @keithmac.
You seem to be well up to speed with knowledge of Lexmoto bikes.. Am I right in saying the engines are of the such of Honda/Suzuki Origins. Do these bikes still rust devishly fast like the older ones did. Years ago i was your typical young idiot who enjoyed riding Yamaha 350 LC widow makers where the power came in at 7000rpm and sounded like a raspy chainsaw. As im supposedly more mature now, a thinking something like the Assault would be ideal. If it could plod along at 50mph all day long without feeling like the noise of the engine would fry my brain like a 2 stroker it would be ideal. Are these cheap bikes reliable "engine wise" Obviously now that I'm older i would like to think I'm more mechanically sympathetic, and appreciate an engine does need looking after as opposed to days of being a tearaway

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
@Smokin Joe.
I think the Isca is a really nice looking bike and looks a lot bigger than it is. What are thoughts on it. Have you had any issues or problems in your ownership. I agree the front tyre on the Assault does look a bit dubious. Ok in warm dry weather but in the wet it looks a bit iffy to me 👍

keithmac

Guru
As you may know, my new Lexmoto Isca has been sitting in the garage since last Saturday waiting for my finger to heal enough to get a glove on. I did consider the Assault which is 100 quid cheaper, but was put of by a YouTube video saying the knobbly front tyre felt a bit unsure on tarmac. If the quality matches the looks I'll be happy.

BTW Keith, I'm assuming 5/30 fully synthetic for those engines?

We run all the 4 strokes on Motul 5100 10w40 Semi Synthetic MA2.

Have a good look at service schedule as we do valve clearance inspection on 1st service.

keithmac

Guru
Hi @keithmac.
You seem to be well up to speed with knowledge of Lexmoto bikes.. Am I right in saying the engines are of the such of Honda/Suzuki Origins. Do these bikes still rust devishly fast like the older ones did. Years ago i was your typical young idiot who enjoyed riding Yamaha 350 LC widow makers where the power came in at 7000rpm and sounded like a raspy chainsaw. As im supposedly more mature now, a thinking something like the Assault would be ideal. If it could plod along at 50mph all day long without feeling like the noise of the engine would fry my brain like a 2 stroker it would be ideal. Are these cheap bikes reliable "engine wise" Obviously now that I'm older i would like to think I'm more mechanically sympathetic, and appreciate an engine does need looking after as opposed to days of being a tearaway

All their 125's will be happy all day long at 50mph.

We've sold a lot of Tempests and to be honest they are my favourite out of all their 125 line up but that's more of a road bike than a green laner.

Smudge

Veteran
@Smokin Joe.
I think the Isca is a really nice looking bike and looks a lot bigger than it is. What are thoughts on it. Have you had any issues or problems in your ownership. I agree the front tyre on the Assault does look a bit dubious. Ok in warm dry weather but in the wet it looks a bit iffy to me 👍

Any knobbly tyre, on any motorcycle, is going to be a bit iffy in the wet. They aren't even that good in the dry, simply because you have less rubber in contact with the road.
I've had dirt bikes though, and you just learn to live with knobblies and make allowances for them when on the road,

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Just had a quick look at Tempests.
Very nice retro looking bike.. Ive been watching a guy on YouTube called Spicy. He's done loads of reviews on Lexmotos and seems to know his stuff.

macp

Guru
I rode motorcycles for years too the yearning never goes away does it. My very last machine was a Gilera Runner 200cc. Bloody good fun as it could do very illegal speeds quite easily and handled really quite well. I must confess it was fun when lads on 125`s would take me on as it looked identical to the 125cc version ^_^

75019223_d.jpg

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I remember having a couple of the Suzuki 125tsx back in my day The amount of abuse i gave them was unreal. Very little attention to servicing and rode them all over Wales two up with the Girlfriend. The tyres on that were semi knobblies and never had any moments with them.

Top Bottom