Thinking of buying this, Good or bad idea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

g00se

Veteran
I think the best bet would be to look for older 2009 and 2008 stock that stores still need to offload. £500-600 is the usual minimum for a new, beginners road bike :biggrin: - so old stock and second hand may be the way to go. Though with the latter, you'd best have someone with you with a bit of experience of road bikes to make sure it's all kosher.

There's a review of the giro here and it's not very good:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/giro-200-09-34873

However, they have a review of a similar priced Claud Butler which they gave the thumbs up to:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/criterium-09-34867

And if you google that model, you can get the 2010 version for under £300 online.

the best thing would still be to try some in the shop though - just to get a feel for them as one model will feel very different to the next.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It definitely a better bike then the Giro you looked at.
The same bike is for sale at Tredz who to be honest with you I would trust rather more then a shop called Bikes and Prams. But others may have differing opinions.

Tredz sends out the bike ready to ride. All you need to do is straighten the handlebars and put on the pedals. Bikes and Prams will charge £9.99 for the same service. So you are only saving £10.00.

OP
OP
£

£Josh D

i would be saving £20 overall, which could be the money to change my rims to yellow, it is a local store and i rang up and they seem happy to help and nice people, i would go for bikes and prams :biggrin: thanks anyway, any other opinions/thoughts on this bike people?

OP
OP
£

£Josh D

thanks Kevin, but its £50 pound dearer and as a 15 year old, i cant raise that money easily, and personally, i much rather prefer the coulours/appearance of the claud butler, thanks alot anyway

KevinG

£Josh D said:
thanks Kevin, but its £50 pound dearer and as a 15 year old, i cant raise that money easily, and personally, i much rather prefer the coulours/appearance of the claud butler, thanks alot anyway

OK no worries.

You can pick it up for £299.99 right now, which I know is right at the top of your budget.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well if the store is local, that's great. Make sure you give it a test ride before you buy. Believe me, there is nothing worse then buying a bike then realising you are not comfortable on it.

And as someone has posted above if you can stretch your budget a little the Carrera Virtuoso has great reviews and looks ideal for you.

OP
OP
£

£Josh D

i know the carrera is better equipment wise, but as long as it is good enough for a first bike which i think the claud butler is and i have a bit of spare money to change my rims to yellow which i have wanted to do from the start, i am happy with the claud butler, instead of suggesting different bikes, could you review this bike and tell me what you think of it, whats good and bad etc? that isnt like a rude comment like i couldnt care less about the other bikes your suggesting, i have looked at them and taken them into consideration thanks :biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
As I said Josh, the best way to review a bike is to get down to the shop and cop a feel of it, sit on it and have a test ride. You will then know if the bike is right for you. To be honest with you. For £300 you are not going to get a great specced bike. However it's certainly better then the Giro. It has handlebar gear changers rather then downtube changers. For yourself being new to road bikes you will find these easier to change gear. Have you though about the second hand route. There are some very good bargains around at the moment.

potsy

Rambler
Not even got the bike yet and he's already colour co-ordinating it,no wonder you're on this one ian;)
I'd personally go for the Carrera too,but if you can get a test ride of the one you're thinking of and you like it then go for it.
Welcome btw,what part of Cheshire are you from?

OP
OP
£

£Josh D

no i like new things, and i like to be able to say i have kept it in great condition for like 18months or whatever instead of getting ones with minor scratches etc, i want it to be gleaming! thanks alot for your help, can you sell bikes on here cus i want to flog my diamond back mountain bike? :biggrin:

Top Bottom