Thinking of buying this, Good or bad idea?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
It's a scaled down child's bike.... is that what you're after?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Before deciding whether it is good value - how old/tall are you? This is a 'younger persons' bike - 26" wheel, 41cm frame. 25" inside leg.

(obviously clicked the replybox at the same time as Cubist!)

g00se

Veteran
Looking at Josh's profile, he's 15, so it might be the right size...

The spec doesn't look great - have you looked at Isla Bikes (www.islabikes.co.uk) for youngster's bikes - though they may be a bit too small on there.

You might want to look at this thread from another site too concerning that website:

http://www.whycycle.co.uk/whycycle_forum/read.php?1,6298,6298#msg-6298

Best bet would be to go to a good, local bike shop - they'd be able to get the best size and set up to last you a while before you grow out of it.

g00se

Veteran
Hi,

Well, I'm 5'9" and my inside leg is 32". That bike is for someone with an inside leg of 25" so that's 7 inches too small for me!!! If you were to ride it, your knees would be up around your ears :smile: You need an adult bike.

OP
OP
£

£Josh D

thanks, its sillybecause on th website it is listed as gents :L could u point me in the right direction on what model of bike to buy with £300, i like Felt but they dont do any bikes for that price?? thanks :smile:

PpPete

Legendary Member
5' 10" & still growing..... you definitely do not want a child's bike. I suggest that at the very least, if you want a road bike, you limit your search to bikes with 700C wheels

Dawes Giro 300 on same site looks a better bet - if they have the right size for you.... but the advice to go to LBS and get something that fits you properly is good.

Given your budget I'd look at Decathlon if you have one close, or even [whisper] Halfords Carrera range[/whisper]

OP
OP
£

£Josh D

can i get a bike with shimano components for £300, i forgot to mention this is my first road bike, i have a diamond back mountain bike at the moment :biggrin: thanks

£Josh D said:
can i get a bike with shimano components for £300, i forgot to mention this is my first road bike, i have a diamond back mountain bike at the moment :biggrin: thanks

Only second hand IMHO.

Basically you want a reasonable entry frame with carbon forks if at all possible - might be worth a look at eBay.

Trek,Cannondale,Giant and Specialized etc are all worth looking at

g00se

Veteran
Hi,

Check out that first thread I posted from the other website - I'd steer clear of that online seller if I were you.

The 48cm is the frame size. Annoyingly, sizes differ for different manufacturers but 48cm sounds too small for you.

When you say road bike, do you mean a proper road bike (drop handlebars, lightweight etc) - or would a hybrid-style bike suffice (road size wheels but more relaxed geometry and flat handlebars)? These tend to be a little cheaper.

Top Bottom