Thinking of changing from standard Derailleur to Alfine 11

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I can only assume posts have been deleted..
Either that or @Yellow Saddle has gone stark raving mad!!:laugh:

I love the Alfine idea

I can only assume posts have been deleted..
Either that or @Yellow Saddle has gone stark raving mad!!:laugh:

I love the Alfine idea

I didn't say I don't like Alfine. I love it. If I were in the habit of owning multiple bikes or replacing bikes regularly, I would have had at least one internal gear bike. However, internal gearing is is nowhere nearly as efficient as a derailler and cassette, especially in certain gears. Even that is neither here nor there. I objected to the notion that a tensioner will add so much drag that you can go for higher gearing if you don't have a tensioner on there. That's patently absurd.

But, you're not the only one who thinks I'm mad. There's quite a few orderlies in white coats here who say the same. When I get out of here, I'll prove you all wrong.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I didn't say I don't like Alfine. I love it. If I were in the habit of owning multiple bikes or replacing bikes regularly, I would have had at least one internal gear bike. However, internal gearing is is nowhere nearly as efficient as a derailler and cassette, especially in certain gears. Even that is neither here nor there. I objected to the notion that a tensioner will add so much drag that you can go for higher gearing if you don't have a tensioner on there. That's patently absurd.
Yet not quite as absurd as picking efficiency percentages out of thin air while challenging others to cite facts.

Or asserting expert knowledge of derailleurs when one can't even spell them.

In theory, a clean and well-set-up derailleur might be more efficient than an internal gear hub, but we ride bikes in practice, not in theory, and I push a slightly higher gear comfortably without a derailleur and I'm not unusual in that.

Top Bottom