Thinking of doing the c2c for Charity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisb1357

Über Member
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post but myself and two other family members are thinking of doing the c2c cycyle route for a local charity which has help our family in the 2nd part of 2012.
I wanted to know do you think 6 to 7 months of training is plenty of time to get ready as we only cycyle to and from work at the minute. What sort of bikes are required for this?

Am sure i have other questions to ask soon but if you have any think we need to know about this

Many Thanks
Chris

Glenn

Veteran
Chris,

I did Whitehaven to Tynemouth in July last year for Help for Heroes. For my training, I commuted to work twice a week working up from a short ride to the full distance (32 mile round trip) for 3 months. For the vast majority of the route we took, a hybrid would be fine, although we all had hardtail mountain bikes, the only rough section was up the Boltslaw incline out of Rookhope.

I did a little write up of our route, if it is any help you can read it here http://wrracing.net/c2c/

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Thanks for that.

I'm planning on doing it early April - but in 2 days rather than 3 atm.

Currently I commute 10 miles each way 3-4 times a week plus other rides inc. a 40+ mile ride, totalling 100+ miles a week. In my case that'll continue and I'm hoping it should be enough.

Did the Whitehaven-Sunderland route this year with Roubaix Murry of this parish plus 2 others. One MTB, two hybrids and my Tifosi CK7 classic with mine and one hybrid on 700c x 23 road tyres. All road, apart from us following the book route, our navigator not having read the route 100% beforehand so we ended up taking the off-road route through the Whinlatter pass which, considering it was wet and misty was 'challenging', and we took the road route from Rookhope to Stanhope and then up Crawleyside Bank. so named 'cos you damn near have to crawl up the bastard! :eek:
My preparation consisted of regular 11.5 mile-each-way commutes and that was it really. We carried all of our gear, stayed overnight in pubs and enjoyed every minute. Get some hill practice in if you are not used to them, take at least three spare tubes each and one decent pump between you all, make sure your bikes are serviced before going and maintain a good sense of humour, aided by plenty of craic between you all.
Good luck :smile:

Top Bottom