thinking of getting a helmet after what ive seen!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I took a tumbling fall, rolled and cracked the back of my head on the pavement. When I saw the damage to the helmet I realised that without it I'd have been knocked out at least and possibly killed by the blow. So I always wear a helmet and so does my son.

My son, at 7, did a ramp jump on his new bike, just like Evel Kneivel he didn't stop and hurtled down a flight of concrete steps, teeth and blood everywhere, at nearly 13 he cycles everywhere, no helmet, still alive.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
If the choice is get a helmet or stop cycling, then get a helmet.
If the choice is don't wear a helmet or stop cycling, then don't wear one.

Whatever you want to do is fine, as long as you keep cycling!

Sambot

I'm new to cycle chat and have just seen one of the other threads on this topic, I hadn't realised it would be such a devisive subject!

I took a tumbling fall, rolled and cracked the back of my head on the pavement. When I saw the damage to the helmet I realised that without it I'd have been knocked out at least and possibly killed by the blow. So I always wear a helmet and so does my son.

I have had incidents where - had I been wearing a helmet - I might have reasonably concluded that the helmet saved my life.

tyred

Legendary Member
Have you considered that wearing a helmet increases the risk of contact? In situations of low headroom, as in below a wing mirror, it could be that a helmetless rider would remain unscathed as the wing mirror passed close overhead.
That is very true. Never wear a cycle helmet while getting into a car. I did and hit my head an unbelievable whack on the roof.

My brother fell off his Raleigh Chopper and banged his self up proper - broke off one of his gnashers, proper pizza face. He now has an IQ of 140. Who's to say that without the head injury that today he might have an IQ of 142 or even 144. The accident left him unable to tidy up after himself or piss straight for the rest of his life. Even now his wife has to wipe the toilet seat after he's been. Terrible.

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm new to cycle chat and have just seen one of the other threads on this topic, I hadn't realised it would be such a devisive subject!
Fair comment Sambot.:smile:
I don't want to try to persuade you either way, but there has been a lot said and written on this subject over the years and some would say the jury is still out.
The type of cycling, utility, leisure, mountain biking, off road , could also influence the decision.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Personaly I prefer not to wear a helmet, mainly because of getting hot and uncomfortable. I always just assumed that I was perhaps beeing a little foolish just for the sake of a non sweaty head and that the safest thing to do would be to wear one.
I also am fairly new here and I'm as surprised as the other FM at how intricate a subject this is. What i notice is that although there seem to be a fair few people here who are not helmet wearers when I am out and about it seems like most adult riders, especially commuters and the more serious looking cyclist with really good bikes and lots of kit are wearing helmets.
Just reading the little bit on this forum I think I already know better than to ask what the best thing to do is but I am curious about what other peoples reasons are for not wearing a helmet.

subaqua

What’s the point
as a kid i didn't wear a helmet, and the rubber things the TDF riders used to wear looked very uncomfortable. i have lost count of the times i fell off.

I wear a helmet now, mainly due to SWMBO wanting me to wear one as it makes her feel safer. She fell off as a kid and banged her head ( explains a lot :smile: ) , and likes the kids to wear one so to save any "I don't want to wear one as daddy doesn't " type arguments its easier for me to wear one.

wearing one and riding like a cockwomble thinking it makes you invincible is a bad thing

fungus

Veteran
<pedantic grumpy old git mode/ON>

Whatever happened to even attempting spelling and punctuation?
At least a capital letter at the start of a sentence or paragraph. Or try using the spell checker.

Sorry.
<pedantic grumpy old git mode/OFF>

+2 & what benb says
thumbsup.png

If the choice is get a helmet or stop cycling, then get a helmet.
If the choice is don't wear a helmet or stop cycling, then don't wear one.

Whatever you want to do is fine, as long as you keep cycling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom