thinking of getting a helmet after what ive seen!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dogfood

Regular
I think at the very least i would have needed stitches, as the road didnt seem to spare the rest of my body.

TVC

dogfood, I'm afraid this argument will still not be settled long after the Israelis and Palestinians are holding joint street parties. You simply can't persuade those who refuse to believe there is any benefit to wearing a helmet, or those who just argue against them for fun and to wind people up.

You can't make a bloody minded cyclist wear a helmet any more than you can stop a fat lass eating chips.
wink.gif

Sambot

[quote name='The Velvet Curtain' timestamp='1301939784' post=.

You can't make a bloody minded cyclist wear a helmet any more than you can stop a fat lass eating chips.
wink.gif

[/quote]

Tidied.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
@Dogfood

On the basis of your assumption anyone partaking in a "risky" activity should be removed from the right to use the NHS. This is wrong on several counts.

1. Define risk. As I have already said the risks are very, very low. You're fine to wear a helmet, that is your choice, but please dont slag off those that choose not to. IIRC you're something like 5 times more likely to suffer a severe head injury in a car.

2. Other "risky" activities we subject ourselves to through choice include eating poor quality foods, smoking and drinking alcohol. Should these people be forced to pay for private healthcare? They carry far more in the way of risk of disease or injury than cycling. You want to see A&E on a friday night through the weekend.

3. The point is we've paid our taxes, its not means tested because there are just too many variables. We're entitled to treatment if something does happen.

4. Are we really qualified to say what a helmet has contributed, given the very spurious nature of some of the research (esp that used by BHIT and Headway)? Personal anecdotes should always be taken with a pinch of salt, and even when a doctor says it "saved your life" you have to weigh up if this is just a bedside manner to put your mind at ease after a really rather shocking incident.

5. As I said earlier - turn your concerns into something positive and make your voice heard on road safety measures. Educate yourself on other countries and how their roads and safety measures work. This is the most important thing, its no good sitting back and whinging at others on a forum, YOU have to take positive steps and let the authorities know that you're not happy with the way things work.

Even if a helmet is or was proven to have stopped an injury the sad fact would be that it would have been far better to have prevented the behaviour that lead up to the crash in the first place rather than dealing with the result.

Bman

Guru
One thing's for sure. If we get the legislation then most of this bickering will stop. :rolleyes:

No it won't. Cyclists and pedestrians will continue to be killed. So, what next? Full Face helmets? Body armor?

How about we go after the cause and not just try and mitigate the problem.

Sorry, I know your post was in jest, but this debate is starting to annoy me now.

So yes, it is your choice to wear a helmet or not, but only if you decide to live in somewhere apart from the UK which has a free NHS, cos why should I or anyone else have to contribute to your medical expences,or funeral. Pro-choice, wot a joke, maybe you have already fallen too many times on your head

Once again..... ill informed and emotive tripe.... the only joke (sadly) is that you eally appear to believe this!

Given the example of the pedestrian (3 times as many pedestrians will be admitted with serious head injuries as cyclists)- why should we contribute to the cost of his care when he chose not to wear a helmet?

Why do we allow people to walk around without helmets?

Thornhill's paper on head injuries shows alcohol to be a factor in 60% of all hospital admissions for head injuries. WHy should we bear the costs of their head injuries. Do you support pub helmets?

Now add the falls, and other causes

Less than 6% of head injuries are cycle related - why are you objecting for some obscure reason to treating these patients yet willing to acceptthe costs of the other 94% which would also be preventable if helmets were worn?

What a weird concept you have of saving money on the NHS?

so wot you are saying is that my head would have been perfectly fine ,yesterdayif i wasnt wearing my helmet, when i hit the road,even though my helmet is caved in and i received multiple bruising on my legs, back arm, and hip, together with no fingertips on my hand where obviously i cant wear a helmet. Purile argument from self conscious people. Like i said go live in a different country if you cannot be bothered to make even basic attempts to protect yourself

So....

If I provided evidence that head injuries occurred - you would unequivocally support the use of a helmet to prevent these?
If I provided medical evidence that the helmet prevented injuries - you would unequivocally support their use?
If I provided endorsement for RoSPA or similar you would endorse the product fully?

Would you consider an argument against such a protective helmet a puerile argument?

Clandy

I think at the very least i would have needed stitches, as the road didnt seem to spare the rest of my body.

So we've gone from 'If I hadn't been wearing a helmet I'd be DED!' to 'If I hadn't been wearing a helmet I might have needed some stitches'. Just out of curiosity, how many broken bones did you suffer, and how many stitches were required, in the rest of your body?

Jezston

Über Member
so wot you are saying is that my head would have been perfectly fine ,yesterdayif i wasnt wearing my helmet, when i hit the road,even though my helmet is caved in and i received multiple bruising on my legs, back arm, and hip, together with no fingertips on my hand where obviously i cant wear a helmet. Purile argument from self conscious people. Like i said go live in a different country if you cannot be bothered to make even basic attempts to protect yourself

If you are not willing to take on the information given to you freely, and retort by throwing back insults at those who have been polite to you, then I have no interest in engaging you in discussion until you are willing to apologise.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The Undead continue to walk among us. "If I hadn't been wearing a helmet I'd have been..."

Helmet Nazis remind me of those mums with high pitched voices who want every male approaching within 50 metres of a school or children's playground arrested as a suspected paedophile, the danger they see is contained only in their own self-righteous minds.

dogfood

Regular
Once again..... ill informed and emotive tripe.... the only joke (sadly) is that you eally appear to believe this!

Given the example of the pedestrian (3 times as many pedestrians will be admitted with serious head injuries as cyclists)- why should we contribute to the cost of his care when he chose not to wear a helmet?

Why do we allow people to walk around without helmets?

Thornhill's paper on head injuries shows alcohol to be a factor in 60% of all hospital admissions for head injuries. WHy should we bear the costs of their head injuries. Do you support pub helmets?

Now add the falls, and other causes

Less than 6% of head injuries are cycle related - why are you objecting for some obscure reason to treating these patients yet willing to acceptthe costs of the other 94% which would also be preventable if helmets were worn?

What a weird concept you have of saving money on the NHS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom