thinking of getting a helmet after what ive seen!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flying start

Veteran
please feel free to move if its in the rong place

well its was a lovely weekend i was in my lbs buying some spd peddles and shoes untill i was on my way back to the van i seen a lad on his bike get hit by a car he did have a hemet on but he looked in a bad way blood all over the floor made me think about riding with a helmet as i dont have one!!!!! the bike was totaly recked buy that is replaceabl!!

so now im sat on the sofa with the laptop and on sky discovery a fella called james cracknell did a race across america walking-joging-cycling-and swiming but when he was half way throw the cycleing he was hit be a truck the wing mirror hid the back of his head, it showed the remarkable fight back it makes me think how bad thing can be, so more money to spend on a helmet as i dont want some one to have to feed me because i cant lift my arms and think for my self!!!!:sad:

index.php

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
please feel free to move if its in the rong place

well its was a lovely weekend i was in my lbs buying some spd peddles and shoes untill i was on my way back to the van i seen a lad on his bike get hit by a car he did have a hemet on but he looked in a bad way blood all over the floor made me think about riding with a helmet as i dont have one!!!!! the bike was totaly recked buy that is replaceabl!!

so now im sat on the sofa with the laptop and on sky discovery a fella called james cracknell did a race across america walking-joging-cycling-and swiming but when he was half way throw the cycleing he was hit be a truck the wing mirror hid the back of his head, it showed the remarkable fight back it makes me think how bad thing can be, so more money to spend on a helmet as i dont want some one to have to feed me because i cant lift my arms and think for my self!!!!:sad:

What ever your personal choice it we will (and should) respect it.

However I would ask that you weigh up certain factors:
-Do you think human behaviour can help you stay safe?
-Cracknell's helmet was put beyond the physical construct of its design.

-The fact that in the main you really shouldnt worry about getting hit, you've seen a shocking sight but you're very unlikely to end up in the same position. There are approx 10 million cyclists using the roads today, probably around 3-5 million a day on average, only 104 cyclists were killed last year iirc, and a few thousand seriously injured. Those are pretty low odds, and they get lower the more cyclists there are (and we are shown to be increasing according to the press and the research, fuel and money being major factors, as well as health/fitness).

I would also ask that you turn that nervous energy you feel into positive action. Write to your MP, your council, ask them what they intend to do to increase safety for vulnerable road users. The more voices that speak up the better we can make things for everyone.

If you had witnessed this tragic case from last year would you now be wearing a helmet whilst walking?

Pedestrian suffers serious head injuries after being struck by car
A MAN suffered serious head injuries in a road traffic accident in Cheadle last night.

The pedestrian, believed to be in his early 20s, was hit by a car near the Brookhouse filling station in The Green, just before 9.30pm.

He sustained a head injury and multiple fractures, and was taken to the University Hospital of North Staffordshire, where he was due to undergo surgery last night.

A spokesman for West Midlands Ambulance Service said: "When crews arrived they found a man with with very serious injuries. A car had also suffered significant damage.

"The man, who was approximately 20, had a significant head injury and was semi-conscious. He also had multiple fractures.

"Doctors anaesthetised him at the scene. His condition was stabilised and he was taken under blue light to the University Hospital of North Staffordshire, with a doctor travelling with him in the ambulance. He was due to undergo surgery last night."

EdgEy

As a motorcycle rider, bicycle helmets have always seemed a little daft to me.
A strange compromise - a full face helmet would clearly offer more safety, but be too uncomfortable.
I can't see how much good a teeny little hat does.

I mean, this wing mirror example - nothing to stop the back of your head being hit where the helmet doesn't cover.

snorri

Legendary Member
a fella called james cracknell did a race across america walking-joging-cycling-and swiming but when he was half way throw the cycleing he was hit be a truck the wing mirror hid the back of his head,
Have you considered that wearing a helmet increases the risk of contact? In situations of low headroom, as in below a wing mirror, it could be that a helmetless rider would remain unscathed as the wing mirror passed close overhead.

Bman

Guru
I would also ask that you turn that nervous energy you feel into positive action. Write to your MP, your council, ask them what they intend to do to increase safety for vulnerable road users. The more voices that speak up the better we can make things for everyone.

Sig worthy.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
<pedantic grumpy old git mode/ON>

Whatever happened to even attempting spelling and punctuation?
At least a capital letter at the start of a sentence or paragraph. Or try using the spell checker.

Sorry.
<pedantic grumpy old git mode/OFF>

Arch

Married to Night Train
<pedantic grumpy old git mode/ON>

Whatever happened to even attempting spelling and punctuation?
At least a capital letter at the start of a sentence or paragraph. Or try using the spell checker.

Sorry.
<pedantic grumpy old git mode/OFF>

Good value though, helmet AND literacy debates in one thread!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I took a tumbling fall, rolled and cracked the back of my head on the pavement. When I saw the damage to the helmet I realised that without it I'd have been knocked out at least and possibly killed by the blow. So I always wear a helmet and so does my son.

Sambot

Like the OP I dont want to end up with my missus having to feed me and wipe my bum so a few quid for a lid seems like a sensible investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom