thinking of getting a helmet after what ive seen!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Surely the premise is the same where ever you ride "go over the bars and your head will hit the ground". I you somehow manage to land on your shoulder or another part of your body instead then the wearing of a helmet or not has no bearing on that outcome.
So on what other occasions do you wear a helmet, apart from cycling? Driving, running, walking (particularly when it's icy), climbing ladders or stairs for instance?

As all those activities result in accidents from time to time, which may well involve a head impact. Surely you are consistent in your approach to safety and don't neglect to protect your head when you are not cycling?

Jezston

Über Member
I find that a bit of a dumb statement, after being involved in a crash where I lost a lot of skin from a few places from my ankle to my shoulder and my head coming into a very hard contact with the road and other than suffering slight concussion there was no injuries to my head and all because I wore a helmet. The speed was recorded on my Garmin at 27mph and dropped to zero in just a couple of seconds, on looking at the helmet afterwards it was completeley smashed to pieces on the side that made contact with the ground. If I did not have a helmet on, I know I would have suffered a serious head injury, but you think I would not, because a helmet will not prevent a serious injury.

Likewise we have had two very severe crashes in the past resulting in serious head injuries in the club from riders without helmets, resulting in the only rule we have in the club being brought into force, no helmet no ride.

And your saying a helmet will not prevent injury, I wonder if there was people around with that philosophy in the medieval days saying, "that suit of armour will not prevent a serious injury". Lets just hope that if the day comes, that you change your mind about your views, that you are in a fit state to be able to do so

That's a bit of a rude reply, especially considering you appear to have missed my point.

Again, my point is don't RELY on that bit of plastic on your head to keep you safe. You still need to RIDE SAFELY. Don't get casual, don't stop being vigilant, don't forget to pay attention to what's going on around you like death could potentially be around every corner because you are wearing a cycling helmet and that makes you safe.

I'm not saying they are useless, I am saying people need to be aware that they aren't as effective as they think they are, and that how you ride is still more important.

EDIT I'm talking of helmet use more from a commuting perspective. I would speculate off-road riding is a different kettle of fish because you are much more likely to fall off, and much less likely to get hit by a bus.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
In a car I wear a seat belt, when I walk I am aware of my surroundings. Of course there is a chance I may trip over but reaction time is far greater when walking than cycling and so I stand a much greater chance of falling safely (break-fall, roll out, etc) If I go onto a building site I wear a hard hat and steel toe caped boots to stay safe and comply with the law.

Had enough of this topic. I'll continue to wear a lid and risk the gravitational and evolutionary dangers inherent therein.

So on what other occasions do you wear a helmet, apart from cycling? Driving, running, walking (particularly when it's icy), climbing ladders or stairs for instance?

As all those activities result in accidents from time to time, which may well involve a head impact. Surely you are consistent in your approach to safety and don't neglect to protect your head when you are not cycling?

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The College of emergency Medicine recognises the limitations of cycle helmets but strongly recommend there use.

They are the proffesional association that A an E doctors etc belong to. I emailed them about it a year or so ago and the above was the gist of the reply I had from them.

Clandy

In a car I wear a seat belt, when I walk I am aware of my surroundings. Of course there is a chance I may trip over but reaction time is far greater when walking than cycling and so I stand a much greater chance of falling safely (break-fall, roll out, etc) If I go onto a building site I wear a hard hat and steel toe caped boots to stay safe and comply with the law.

Had enough of this topic. I'll continue to wear a lid and risk the gravitational and evolutionary dangers inherent therein.

You are more likely to suffer a head injury when walking than when cycling, and seatbelts don't protect the head.

I find that a bit of a dumb statement, after being involved in a crash where I lost a lot of skin from a few places from my ankle to my shoulder and my head coming into a very hard contact with the road and other than suffering slight concussion there was no injuries to my head and all because I wore a helmet. The speed was recorded on my Garmin at 27mph and dropped to zero in just a couple of seconds, on looking at the helmet afterwards it was completeley smashed to pieces on the side that made contact with the ground. If I did not have a helmet on, I know I would have suffered a serious head injury, but you think I would not, because a helmet will not prevent a serious injury.

Likewise we have had two very severe crashes in the past resulting in serious head injuries in the club from riders without helmets, resulting in the only rule we have in the club being brought into force, no helmet no ride.

And your saying a helmet will not prevent injury, I wonder if there was people around with that philosophy in the medieval days saying, "that suit of armour will not prevent a serious injury". Lets just hope that if the day comes, that you change your mind about your views, that you are in a fit state to be able to do so

A dangerous precedent to take and an unwelcome one, what the hell did we do before helmets??? There have been a slight rise in cycling head injuries since the introduction of helmets, so how do you square that with your club rule? Presumably you all wear helmets in your cars, no? Please explain why not. You are sending out a message to all would be cyclists that riding a bike is dangerous, it is not and never has been.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Seatbelts don't protect your head????? Maybe not against something flying through the windscreen but they also stop you going through it and getting hurled around like a rag doll if a car rolls.

I also have a feeling the walking v cycling stats are rather like the old "red cars have more accidents" believe. More people walk than cycle so of course there will be be a greater over all injury rate. (Out of interest do you know if these stats include all types of walking such as mountin walking, gorge walking, tight rope walking, or just a gentle stroll along the pavement (that may be littered with cyclists!)

You are more likely to suffer a head injury when walking than when cycling, and seatbelts don't protect the head.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Says enough as far as I am concerned :smile:

The College of emergency Medicine recognises the limitations of cycle helmets but strongly recommend there use.

They are the proffesional association that A an E doctors etc belong to. I emailed them about it a year or so ago and the above was the gist of the reply I had from them.

Clandy

They could say the same thing about child pedestrians, children playing at home, children running in the playground… I do wish doctors would stick to being doctors and stop trying to be the nation's nannies.

Clandy

Seatbelts don't protect your head????? Maybe not against something flying through the windscreen but they also stop you going through it and getting hurled around like a rag doll if a car rolls.

I also have a feeling the walking v cycling stats are rather like the old "red cars have more accidents" believe. More people walk than cycle so of course there will be be a greater over all injury rate. (Out of interest do you know if these stats include all types of walking such as mountin walking, gorge walking, tight rope walking, or just a gentle stroll along the pavement (that may be littered with cyclists!)

Ever heard of whiplash and rotational brain injuries? People in car accidents do suffer serious head injuries. The fact is you can also suffer serious head injuries while walking, and that is where most head injuries occur. So, why aren't you wearing a helmet every time you walk somewhere?

martynjc1977

Veteran
The College of emergency Medicine recognizes the limitations of cycle helmets but strongly recommend there use!!

These people should be more worried about the effect of alcohol related head injury than a few cyclists who may or may not benefit from a helmet.

Banjo

They could say the same thing about child pedestrians, children playing at home, children running in the playground… I do wish doctors would stick to being doctors and stop trying to be the nation's nannies.

I asked a direct question by email and had it answered. Hardly nannying IMHO.

Of course its much easier to listen to those that agree with your point of view wether they be A and E proffesionals or bricklayers .All are entitled to an opinion , how much weight you attatch to each opinion is entirely for your judgement.

Banjo

The College of emergency Medicine recognizes the limitations of cycle helmets but strongly recommend there use!!

These people should be more worried about the effect of alcohol related head injury than a few cyclists who may or may not benefit from a helmet.

I think alcohol related injuries are A and Es biggest nightmare ,doesnt mean they cant have opinions on other causes of injury .

They used to say the majority of accidents happen at home so as its stopped raining Im off out on my bike away from this dangerous place :biggrin: I will wear my helmet but would stromgly defend others freedom of choice not to.

Clandy

I asked a direct question by email and had it answered. Hardly nannying IMHO.

Of course its much easier to listen to those that agree with your point of view wether they be A and E proffesionals or bricklayers .All are entitled to an opinion , how much weight you attatch to each opinion is entirely for your judgement.

'Head injury' includes: broken jaws, broken noses, lost teeth, black eyes. None of which a helmet will prevent. Doctors include all of those in their helmet 'argument'.

The truth is most doctors haven't got a bloody clue as to whether or not cycling is dangerous, but if asked 'will wearing a helmet prevent injury', they will respond in the positive because they think that's right, not because they have researched the evidence. Likewise if you ask a doctor 'will wearing a hair shirt stop me getting sunburn?' he will say 'Yes'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom