thinking of getting a helmet after what ive seen!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
Surely the premise is the same where ever you ride "go over the bars and your head will hit the ground". I you somehow manage to land on your shoulder or another part of your body instead then the wearing of a helmet or not has no bearing on that outcome.

Wearing a helmet, IME, is a severe impediment to preventing yourself hitting the ground with your head.

Sam

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
How do you work that out?

Wearing a helmet, IME, is a severe impediment to preventing yourself hitting the ground with your head.

Sam

Clandy

Again, for those who may have missed it: Here is the Snell B90 a/c Standard for cycle helmet testing. The Snell standard is the 'gold' standard for cycle helmets, superior to the European standard. Only one helmet manufacturer makes helmets to the full Snell standard: Specialized.

http://www.snellhelmets.com/standards/pdf/b90astd.pdf

Cycle helmets are tested:

'
a. For each impact against the flat anvil, the impact energy shall be 100 J for all testing regardless of headform size or weight. Given an ideal frictionless mechanical test facility, this impact energy represents a 2.2+ meter drop of a 5 kg headform and supporting assembly.

b. For each impact against the hemispherical anvil, the impact energy shall be 65 J for all testing regardless of headform size or weight. Given an ideal frictionless mechanical test facility, this impact energy represents a 1.3+ meter drop of a 5 kg headform and supporting assembly.
c. For each impact against the kerbstone anvil, the impact energy shall be 58 J for all testing regardless of headform size or weight. Given an ideal frictionless mechanical test facility, this impact energy represents a 1.2 meter drop of a 5 kg headform and supporting assembly.
d. If the impact energy for any test impact exceeds the energy specified by more than 3%, that impact shall be declared invalid.'

I'm pretty sure ANY impact when falling from a bicycle or being hit by a couple of tons of motor vehicle is going to exceed 100J. So if people are happy wearing their polystyrene placebos, that's fine by me, but don't pontificate at me and tell me I must share the fantasy that helmets save lives.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
@Ravenbait - you're not my german friend Tina are you, Sam, because you don't half look like her, in that previous photo I mean, not the big eared freak in your avatar - apologies if that is you!? :smile:

Ravenbait

@Ravenbait - you're not my german friend Tina are you, Sam, because you don't half look like her, in that previous photo I mean, not the big eared freak in your avatar - apologies if that is you!? :smile:

No, I am not your German friend Tina. Sam is actually my real name -- I know it's not exactly de rigeur to use one's real name on fora, but that's just the way I roll. I don't really look much like that any more -- I've grown my hair out.

Wish I did have ears though. It would be awesome.

Sam

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
How heavy do you think helmets are? Surely by that token any form of hat would be detrimental and motorcyclists would be far safer mot wearing helmets and a crash at much higher speeds would increase inertia.
Your autonomic nervous system and sense of proprioception do not extend into the helmet. It's an excess of size and weight for which your body has not evolved to compensate.

Sam

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
It's an excess of size and weight for which your body has not evolved to compensate.

That's an interesting point actually. If cycling threatened the future of the human race due to head injury then presumably we'll evolve into helmet headed creatures, similar to below although the thatch would be more substantial. Or something. Just a question of sitting around for a few million years to prove the point.

4662436764_d804371733.jpg

Ravenbait

How heavy do you think helmets are? Surely by that token any form of hat would be detrimental and motorcyclists would be far safer mot wearing helmets and a crash at much higher speeds would increase inertia.

I know how heavy helmets are. I have two of them because I am required to wear one in order to race. Both are substantially heavier than the cotton cap I wear by preference.

There are arguments that suggest motorcyclists would indeed be safer not wearing helmets, but we're not talking about motorcyclists, who travel at speeds up to 70mph and wear full-face, hard-shell helmets. We're talking about cyclists, and plastic hats designed to prevent a stationary fall from standing height.

You made your choice. I made mine. I accept your choice, please extend those of us who made a different one the same courtesy.

Sam

zacklaws

Guru
I'm pretty sure ANY impact when falling from a bicycle or being hit by a couple of tons of motor vehicle is going to exceed 100J. So if people are happy wearing their polystyrene placebos, that's fine by me, but don't pontificate at me and tell me I must share the fantasy that helmets save lives.

Well if its going to exceed 100j and your wearing a helmet then you can discount that first 100j as it will be absorbed by the helmet hopefully and then you only have to worry about the rest of the "j" above that. But without a helmet, then you only have to worry about all the impact and if its just more than 100j, then its possible you could end up seeing more more than stars which could have been preventable and not by just riding with your wits and defensively.

Its all down to damage limitation, what's the point of a soldier wearing a kevlar helmet with today's high velocity weapons, they only give certain protection. I always felt better for wearing mine and never thought "What"s the point"

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
In a far corner of Alabama a species of helmetoids (Trailer Trashus Mulletaris) has recently been discovered. Mainly inhabiting the Trailer Park areas and dieting on KFC bargain buckets and moonshine they are already bike-ready with springy big hair providing plenty of natural shock absorbtion. Can't get em out of them V8 GMCs and on a bicycle though.

gallery_3629_9_2054.jpg

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
+1
Well if its going to exceed 100j and your wearing a helmet then you can discount that first 100j as it will be absorbed by the helmet hopefully and then you only have to worry about the rest of the "j" above that. But without a helmet, then you only have to worry about all the impact and if its just more than 100j, then its possible you could end up seeing more more than stars which could have been preventable and not by just riding with your wits and defensively.

Its all down to damage limitation, what's the point of a soldier wearing a kevlar helmet with today's high velocity weapons, they only give certain protection. I always felt better for wearing mine and never thought "What"s the point"

Clandy

I do hope you wear full body armour 24/7. After all, you can never be too safe.
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom