Thinking of getting a Single Speed...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

JimboJames1972

Yes, gearing is a little taller that many single speeds. But, like you said, not many hills around here :-) We get long, gentle inclines and this ratio seems to deal with them fine. The occasional (very occasional) steep bit is short and sharp so, if you get a bit of a run at it and are willing to stand on the pedals, they can be dispatched with little pain.

The reason I went taller on the gearing was through my experience with my CX bike - I ran 95% of the time on 44:16 (2.75 overall ratio, not sure what that is in inches) and found this pretty good for our bridleways and gravel paths, but just a fraction low for road cycling. My rear cassette dropped to a 14t cog as the next gear, that was good on our occasional downhills, but usually too tall for me to push for any great distance on the flat.

My new ratio of 48:17 on the single speed gives me 2.82 overall ratio, just a smidge over my old 44:16 ratio.

In practice, on the run tonight, I was perfectly comfortable to buzz along at 18-19mph when on my own. In the group I could stay with them at 22-23mph, but only just. This was at a cadence of 95-ish. Any more than this and my poor little feet were too much of a blur!

To be honest though, the rest of the group were all riding geared, and this type of riding is not what I intend the bike for. Tonight was really an extended shake down ride, the bike was really meant for short dashes into town, to the pub and more gentle training runs in the winter. The Felixstowe bunch have a separate Single Speed group that run on Tuesday nights; I'll be with them next week.

Glad you like the build, I loved doing it. Don't tell She Who Must Be Obeyed, but another frame is on order for another build. I think I'm hooked...

J

OP
OP
J

JimboJames1972

Sorry, cranks from Brick Lane Bikes. I think it t was their "Track" variety. It seems pretty good, to me at least.

I'm particularly happy with these cranks (170mm rather than the usual 165mm helps me push the taller ratios). I like the look and satin finish on them - retro look, but modern components and easy to source.

My chain tension does vary slightly as the pedal rotates though, tight spots and then more slack spots. The chainring itself is a forged alloy thing, and perhaps not the best quality. I'm thinking it may be slightly non-concentric? I plan to swap it out with a (steel?) alternative at some point and see if that changes anything.

J

Join Club

Tim Hall

My chain tension does vary slightly as the pedal rotates though, tight spots and then more slack spots. The chainring itself is a forged alloy thing, and perhaps not the best quality. I'm thinking it may be slightly non-concentric? I plan to swap it out with a (steel?) alternative at some point and see if that changes anything.

J

Join Club
More likely the chain ring isn't exactly bob on on the spider. Sheldon brown has an article on adjusting them here.
Scroll down to "Centering a chain ring". My chain does it, but since the "small adjustment, try it, small adjustment" procedure isn't my thing, I've just left it.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Lovely looking bike :becool:
After an error in ordering brake calipers I'm just awaiting replacements & then I can complete my build. Can't wait to ride it properly, took it for a quick test the other day, but had no brakes or saddle fitted, made stopping fun :whistle:

OP
OP
J

JimboJames1972

Thanks guys! I think I have had as much fun building, fettling and tinkering as I am riding :-)

I did my first ever 100 mile ride (and solo too) on Tuesday and used this bike for it. I've not really changed the bike much, just an brake caliper upgrade to Shimano and swapping out the saddle for my old Brooks.

Most of the ride was not too bad, despite strong head winds in the first three hours and torrential rain for the last hour. The last 20 miles were not pretty though - I was all done in, legs had no oomph left and traffic/road spray was miserable. However, the bike was perfect - comfortable, smooth and utterly reliable.

I plan to do another 100 mile soon. I'll use the same bike again, but I need to address either the gearing or my own ability to pace myself. Or a combination of both. On this last ride I think my taller gearing and the strong head winds at the start of the ride took more out of me than I appreciated. I tried to keep my power output moderate, but still needed to push into the wind. Usually I can buzz along at between 18 and 19mph and a cadence of 85ish at these speeds is comfortable for me when there are no winds to fight. On this ride though I was conscious of pacing myself so tried to keep the speed at a lower 15-16mph. This dropped my cadence to low 70s and I must admit that I did not find this longer, slower pedal stroke comfortable. If I swap to a 18t freewheel I should be a bit more comfortable next time.

Swapping gearing to make it specific for a given ride - does this fly in the face of the principals of single speeds though? Your thoughts...

Top Bottom