Thinking of getting a Single Speed...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

As the title says, I'm thinking of getting myself a single speed.

I currently have a Genesis Tour deF that is fully mud-guarded and racked for panniers and it is great for when I do my longer rides, go camping and chase Duke of Edingburgh groups across the countryside. However, it is a bit of a lump for when I need to dash into town, hook up with mates or if I feel like something a little less serious. For this I am thinking of a single speed. Budget is between £350 and £400 absolute max.

Ideally I'd like a retro look, steel frame, freewheel (46 or 48 gear to 16t freewheel) bull bars with TT style brake levers and caliper brakes and be able to get tyres up to 30 or better 32mm on. Some deep-ish rims and a funky paint job would be the icing on the cake. I've done a bit of digging and come up with a few options:

1. One of my local bike shops has a Claude Butler Lombard St in stock, and in the right size too. At £400 it is right at the top end of my budget, has a few nice anodised alloy bits, the right type of handlebars and brakes, but it's paint is not exactly inspiring and I am very dubious if I can go much fatter that 27 or 28mm tyres.

2. A rival bike shop has the Charge Plug range, but not in my size at the moment, new stock not due for several weeks either. Again, style and bars look good and there is plenty of clearance for wider than usual tyres, but brake levers are not to my taste and nor is the silver colour scheme. I'm also not very aware of this brand or its reputation, but £330 is going to leave me a bit left to buy other bits.

3. States Bicycle Co. I've seen a few of these on eBay. Some of the colour options look great but, again, it is not a brand I am familiar with so am a little dubious.

4. Restore an old frame. I've seen a couple of Genesis Flyers and One Days on various sites and in various states of repair. Prices with this option may well spiral out of control as I recon buying all the bits to complete a bike will probably go over my budget, but at lest I get the options I want as well as the fun of the build. I am also aware though of how there might be problems of getting hold of very old parts if they are no longer produced.

Advice please. Anyone had experience of the States, Claude Butler or Plug bikes? Are there any other, similar models anyone can point me in the direction of? Any advice on a frame build?

Thanks,

J

Profpointy

Legendary Member
get a fixie. A single speed's neither one thing or t'other. Or just set you're current bike in one gear and don't change gear.

Pish-taking aside, there is a real magic in riding fixed. Hard to explain, you have to experience it. Somehow (even !) I can climb steeper hills than I'd have expected to without gears - somehow the fixieness helps keep going - and I like low gears on a geared bike.

Had a go on one only once 30 years back and understood. 25 years later, bought one - middle aged, unfit, hilly city - and loved it

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I've no experience of any of the bikes, but here's my 2p worth.
I'd go fixed rather than single speed, for the reasons prof points out above.
I'd go for as cheap as you can, or with the things you want. I bought a bike and by the time I had changed the saddle and bars to the ones I'd liked and sprockets to the gearing I wanted I'd have been better just buying the bits and building what I wanted in the first place, lol.
Good luck and enjoy the search.

OP
OP
J

JimboJames1972

Thanks for the input guys.

I gave fixed a few goes on a mates bike a little while back and it terrified me! I guess some practice will/might make perfect, and allow me to appreciate the magic of a fixie, but that previous experience is my reason for tending towards a freewheel. It seems though that many of the "off the shelf" bikes come with a flip-flop rear hub so I might be able to get the best of both worlds.

If anyone has any experience of the models listed above, or can offer advice on a good alternative, p,ease get in touch,

Thanks again,

J

andyfraser

Über Member
I find riding fixed adds an extra level of fun and control that I don't get from my geared bikes. Each to their own I guess. :smile:

SSmatty

Have a look at Edinburgh Cycles.
They had their single speed / fixie (Revolution Track I think) marked down from 400 to 250 a little while ago.
Similar spec to what you're looking for and a bargain.

OP
OP
J

JimboJames1972

Ok, so I've pushed the boat out....

I've managed to get my hands on a Genesis Flyer frame. It looks to be in a pretty good state too, and good old Reynolds steel, so pleased with that. I've also come across a local(ish) company that is willing to shot blast the old paint off and power coat it (a nice sky/baby blue and orange to match the retro Gulf race car colour scheme is on the cards) for £65 all in. Well pleased with that!

That will take a week or so.

Wheels, drive train and some bull horn hamdlepars with TT style brake levers are also on their way so I should have it built soon :-). A buddy has a set of unbranded carbon forks that might end up on it, we will see. Pics to follow,

J

OP
OP
J

JimboJames1972

image.jpg
Frame back from paint:

Build to start soon....

J

Lonestar

Veteran
Fixies great but converted my Audax to single speed,now converting it back to geared bike when I can be bothered.

I've got a Charge Plug 2010 and Charge Plug 2013.

OP
OP
J

JimboJames1972

First real ride was tonight with some of the Felixstowe Cycle Club. I gave it a few shake down rides first, just to make sure everything was bolted down well, get the seating and handlebars right etc. I also upped the gearing a bit - now at 48:17.

Rides were all fine, no dramas. The main ride tonight was 24 miles done in just over 1h20. Average speed was 19mph I think. To be honest, that pace was right at my upper limit, but I can safely say that the bike works :-)

J

braaivleis2003

Jimbo your bike looks really nice. I've just checked and your gear ratio is 76 inches. Many hills in your area? My Genesis Day One disc is a 46 18...69 inches, did my first long ride today on it 31 miles and there were some long steepish hills. ( Derbyshire ) Had to stand and pedal and was quite tough getting up but managed. Slight inclines and flats and its very comfortable. Chainring,crank looks good, where did you get that from? Enjoy your ride :okay:

Top Bottom