Thinking of getting a single speed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

croyde

So I have been riding my Giant M1 26 ins wheels, using the front 48 cog with a 17 rear and not changing gear all week. Not too bad unless I have got the gearing way off and it's a heavy bike, about 15 kgs. Went on a 25 mile run yesterday as I was off work and even got up the steep bit in Richmond Park at the Robin Hood Gate and later back up that slope at Ham Gate. Couldn't get faster than 17/18 mph on the flat tho'.

Have to say I was knackered today and legs ache.

Am I ready?

I fancy the Langster but non of the stores have it in stock and want a deposit just to get one in so I can have a look. If I like it in the flesh I'll want to have a go but I have to see it first. I like the look of the Allez Elite so is the black Langster pretty similar and the 56 cm Allez fits me like a glove so would the same size Langster be OK.

Sorry for the amount of questions but the lbs have not been too helpful. Maybe I'll look to eBay or Gumtree as there is not much to go wrong with a ss.

Cheers.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Yup. If you can do that on a 15kg bike, you'll fly on a Langster. Or similar. Or indeed anything around the 10kg mark running on 23mm slicks at 100psi +/-. Go for it. Enjoy!

OP
OP
C

croyde

Thanks guys.

My local Evans had one in my size on the floor so they let me have it for half an hour. Boy is it light! Really enjoyed myself and got used to it's twitchyness, compared to my heavy solid Giant, very quickly and it was surprisingly comfortable over the bad road surfaces.

Returned the bike and was going to think about it but they knocked 10% off the price so I said yes. £405 and they are ordering one in to be picked up on Friday.

Good thing it's black which means between you lot and the garden shed the missus will never twig that I have 2 bikes. I'll just tell her I have got some spare drops if she ever notices that difference.

OP
OP
C

croyde

Well she saw me bringing it through the house yesterday after a 46 mile round trip to see a mate and she didn't twig.

Loving the Langster and did a quick 15 on it as soon as I picked it up last Fri and I flip flopped the wheel this evening to try out this fixed business. Took it slowly and thought all was ok until approached the massive speed bump and tried to freewheel over as I normally do and could not understand why my feet suddenly flew off the pedals.

I only did about a couple of miles as my young daughter was following but I think I was getting used to the idea but I would not be to sure about getting straight into the cut and thrust of London commuting traffic. During a high stress situation, ie crossing Hyde Park Corner, I'd be bound to forget and do something daft.

Going to keep practising and already like the way the brakes are not needed so often and the ability to stay on the pedals whilst stationary.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Ah yes, the speed bumps...always good for a laugh! You'll get used to those surprisingly quickly. The next one to look out for is when you're going round a corner and things are, for whatever reason, not entirely straightforward. One thing your brain will make you do is stop pedaling while you think the situation through...which is when Mr Bike will take over, completely wrong-footing you. 

None of which will detract from your enjoyment. You'll fill your pants a couple of times... but you'll have a great time!

crumpetman

[quote name='swee'pea99' timestamp='1280331037' post='1344089']
Ah yes, the speed bumps...always good for a laugh! You'll get used to those surprisingly quickly. The next one to look out for is when you're going round a corner and things are, for whatever reason, not entirely straightforward. One thing your brain will make you do is stop pedaling while you think the situation through...which is when Mr Bike will take over, completely wrong-footing you.

None of which will detract from your enjoyment. You'll fill your pants a couple of times... but you'll have a great time!

[/quote]

Yes, don't lean over too far either because you cannot position the pedals to be out of the way :smile:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If you ride a proper track frame with a high BB you shouldnt have too much a problem unless you lean pretty drastically :tongue:

colinr

Any bike sold as SS/fixed should be designed with enough BB clearance for normal riding.
I've never managed a pedal strike on mine anyway.

Femto

One of my mates has a Charge Plug. He saw me gawking at it last weekend and he said when I'm over for his housewarming, I can give it a go. Looking forward to that one. I may be slightly crazy for thinking about ss/fixed as I live on the edge of the pennines but I'm pretty strong, or so I'm told. :rolleyes:

By the way reddragon; would you go with SPDs on a fixie or some other type of clipless pedals? I'm used to spuds mind you...

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Freewheels are a cop out, keep it on the fixed side.

are you using clipless pedals too? I'd recommend it if you aren't.

+1 You can really tell the difference, especially if your currently wearing normal shoes that seem to bend like bananas round the pedals like my plimsoles did on the recent club ride

Femto, I use Look Keo, dont like them, but have them :tongue: But atm they are on my road bike, hence riding recently in plimsoles. Reddragon didnt think it looked very comfortable, hah.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
One of my mates has a Charge Plug. He saw me gawking at it last weekend and he said when I'm over for his housewarming, I can give it a go. Looking forward to that one. I may be slightly crazy for thinking about ss/fixed as I live on the edge of the pennines but I'm pretty strong, or so I'm told. :rolleyes:

By the way reddragon; would you go with SPDs on a fixie or some other type of clipless pedals? I'm used to spuds mind you...

SPD's work fine

Top Bottom