Thinking of giving it up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dharma66

Regular
Ive been cycling for about three weeks now, and in that time I've been abused and nearly killed several times.

I see loads of stories on here about people getting abuse or being knocked off, and I'm starting to wonder if it's really worth it.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
I see loads of stories on here about people getting abuse or being knocked off, and I'm starting to wonder if it's really worth it.
Web forums are a bit like the media - you rarely get the good news (ie the majority of what goes on) but the horror stories get all the attention and are therefore mistakenly perceived as a true representation of what goes on.

D

Deleted member 1258

+ 1 on what coffeejo said, people tend use the forum to sound off when they have had an incident and this gives a distorted picture of what goes on. I'm over 3000 miles so far this year and I've only had one incident. You might need to develop a more defensive cycling style, get a copy of CycleCraft by John Franklin and have a read that will give you some good ideas of how to stop most of the incidents..

Panter

Just call me Chris...
As above, it's only the negatives that make "the headlines."
For every negative story, there are thousands of "I had a nice, incident free ride" stories but obviously people don't post those as much.
On the other hand, if you're having that many problems yourself it would appear that you may be doing something wrong.
There is a book you can buy by John Franklin (think that's his name) called "Cyclecraft" which is a useful guide to safe cycling.
Personally though, I'd ask on here and see if you can tie up with someone for a ride out and get some tips.

Absolutely not worth giving up though, there's just too much to gain :smile:

EDIT: Cross posted with Dave R!

Ive been cycling for about three weeks now, and in that time I've been abused and nearly killed several times.

Your response might be a little hasty, but it might not. You may simply not like cycling very much. There's no law saying you have to.

I am not a very good cyclist - but forty years into my riding experience very few people have come close to killing me, nobody (I think) has tried to kill me and any (rare) and trivial amount verbal abuse I've received has been richly deserved or dished out by a road-rage barmy who would yell at anyone. Although I've had my 'lazy' years and age kept my mileage down as a child, I'm usually a multi-thousand-miles-a-year rider.

I've had maybe thirty unplanned dismounts in forty years and only a few of those have been really hurty.

Some people on these forums do get slightly squeaky about mean, nasty motorists and their horrid, horrid killy cars. This forum (like others) is not representative of reality. It is representative of a reality perceived by others like me who take their own views so seriously that they sit at a keyboard sharing them vehemently with people they have never met. The real world is much nicer.

I just love cycling. However, I do not love darts, fishing, American football, jogging, electronic fuel injection or aubergines. I can live with that.

I'll bet that you love things that others don't. You're allowed not to like some things.

Cycling is going through a bit fashion-led surge in popularity at the moment - in a year or so there will be a lot of quite nice bicycles hidden away like wedding-present fondue sets, never to be dusted down again. This year's lycra missile will have sold her bike for a hang-glider.

There's a lot out there that you do enjoy. If you don't like cycling, sell the bike. With cycling still surging, it will sell.

Well done for putting a toe in the water again. Better to have tried it again than to have sat there and wondered.

Sandra6

Veteran
When I first started cycling on the roads a lot I felt like every other car was trying to kill me, but I think it was more down to my perspective than their actual murderous intent.
I still get a number of close passes but I just accept it (after I've sworn at the disappearing car a few times obviously) .
Are you picking particularly busy roads? could you try a quieter route?
I only get abuse if I get shouty, so I try not to.

lb81

+1 on what has already been said.

I ride 200 + miles a week and rarely have any issues!

I find that often any problems with abuse are self inflicted.

I ride assertive and defensive but with a bit of humility to other road users by saying thanks if i hold them up a bit or by not always trying to get in front at lights etc and will generally try and filter with the general traffic rather than bumper carve my way through...

The only time i have had any problems is when i have been grumpy and got shouty myself or gestured when a drivers done something silly.

Im obviously not saying thats where your going wrong, just sharing my own experiences.

The most important part of cycling is enjoyment. If you dont enjoy it then there is little point in doing it, better use the bus etc. Equally if you do enjoy it then you shouldnt be scared of it and there is loads of resource out there to help you deal with it...

Good luck :smile:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The wonkers out there who give cyclists a hard time aren't really worth pondering over when you think about it. They're usually softies who wouldn't confront you face to face, instead they feel safe and brave enough because they have the advantage of a safe metal shell that can retreat from the confrontational situation at a moments notice. Jealousy also come into it as the abusing "fat boy" behind the wheel of his 4x4, white van etc secretly wants to be in your shoes but hasn't the balls to give it a go, so it makes him feel better by attempting to belittle you.
Perhaps because you're new to cycling you give off that persona and the bad/impatient motorists pick up on it? Time, patience and effort will make you feel safer and more confident on the road.:thumbsup:

Since I started keeping records 43,500 miles (6 years ago), iirc I've had 3 complete nutters (threatening me with their 2 ton weight) but I certainly wouldn't have gave up for them. Accident wise, I've had 1 Smidsy based accident and a couple of last minute smidsy (but no collision) and one alcohol fuelled accident, where I was at fault :shy: I could be wrong but I think that is a more realistic picture rather than picking up details off a forum where people only post the memorable bad news.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I had a wonderful 38 mile ride yesterday with no incidents or even close calls. I went through the middle of Norwich once and round the inner link road once too, in rush hour. The 'no incident' rides are the norm, where the numpty drivers are the rarity, which is why people mention them.
As Dave R said, have a peek at Cycle Craft which has a wealth of information in.

yello

Picking up from BB, you ought remember that it is your decision and you are allowed to give up cycling. Particularly if you feel intimidated by it.

It is natural to go through phases and I suspect most of us give cycling a break from time to time. Equally all new things can be unsettling until you get into the swing of it. So don't be too hasty with your decision but equally don't feel forced into giving it longer.

A compromise could be to take a break. Put the bike away and forget about it. IF your thoughts return to it then revisit it. If not, then it wasn't for you.

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
Accy has this spot on :thumbsup:

Most drivers are considerate and decent people just going about their business. Then you have the tw@t driver, the fat fag smoking moron who as Accy said feels he is safe in his car these are very rare.

Most of them are all mouth.

Top Bottom