Thinking of giving it up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doctornige

At it for a year now. No problems at all. Only been yelled at once because I positioned myself badly at a junction. You get used to the odd close pass and braking driver. If you chill about it then it doesn't escalate.

Just remember to ride sensibly and do your shoulder checks.

Licramite

Über Member
I hate cycling in traffic.
and yes theirs no medals out their, if I,m going up a hill slow and wobbly - I get off and push , I just class that as a downhill hill (only sensible people go down on that one !)
yes crossing a busy road on foot not bike,I always respond with politeness to scowls ect.
I cycle in country lanes and if a car comes from behind I will happily stop in a pull in place/gateway to let him pass, often I will stop if the are coming to let them pass, - the lanes are narrow my way.
I always check behind on overtaking a car (I would say another cyclist but I don,t overtake other cyclists) , and if ones coming I stop and let it go
cars win in a fight so I don,t fight them.
why do it if its stressful , find a place were theirs no traffic, - canals are good, country side is better.

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
nil illigitime carborundem or dont let the b,stards grind you down.

I started cycling again last year after a 40 year break and it was a big shock, one year later I feel comfortable on the road. Most motorists, and a lot of us are motorists and cyclists, are decent people.

Please dont give up as you will miss a great sport/pastime.

RAYMOND

Join a club,safety in numbers.
Or take a different route.
Or just give back what they give and if you catch up with them at the lights blow a raspberry at them.

OP
OP
dharma66

dharma66

Regular
More thanks to everyone.

Things are improving.

I read The Theory of Big, and tried a few of the pointers in there, specifically about road positioning. I've also started changing my riding position at what I consider danger spots, such as narrowings for central islands.

So, for the last two rides, I've moved maybe 8" (20cm) further into the carriageway as my basic position, putting my wheels maybe 18" from the curb, rather than ten. Where the road narrows, a couple of times I've looked and there was a car a bit behind, in that position where we would be due to meet at the narrowing. Rather than move over to try to ride 4" from the curb, I've moved out a touch to claim the lane, and sat up high. Both times the driver slowed a few mph to allow me to clear the island and move back in a little, before passing me with good clearance. This even worked with a wagon towing a fairground ride, and I'm sure it was the same bloke who has previously blasted past me at various points on my journey.

It kind of makes sense that by cowering against the kerb and by trying to make myself look small, it was interpreted as an invitation to pass. By claiming the road and looking big and confident, people seem to accept it and give way.

I've also slowed down a bit, which has made me feel more in control, and therefore more confident. Because I'm not gasping for breath and wrestling the bike the whole journey, I've actually managed to admire the scenery more, observe the road better, and generally feel much more like I belong on the road as a first class citizen.

This is from my two most recent rides after reading this thread, and the article mentioned. They were both in weekend traffic, though not at 7AM, but rather at mid afternoon. Tomorrow I will find out if the same techniques hold up in weekday traffic.

I think whatever happens, I have to find a way to continue. As mentioned, the benefits are just too great. Three weeks ago when I started, I could just about about crawl up the road leading back to my house in the very lowest gear, after having previously done no more than coast down it. Today I rode up it on the 5th cog and middle chainring without even realising until I got to the top, and that's after 11 miles.

So, a massive thanks to everyone for the encouragement and the practical advice.

It's really nice to be waving 'thanks' to drivers for giving me space, rather than constantly cursing under my breath.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
So, for the last two rides, I've moved maybe 8" (20cm) further into the carriageway as my basic position, putting my wheels maybe 18" from the curb, rather than ten. Where the road narrows, a couple of times I've looked and there was a car a bit behind, in that position where we would be due to meet at the narrowing. Rather than move over to try to ride 4" from the curb, I've moved out a touch to claim the lane, and sat up high. Both times the driver slowed a few mph to allow me to clear the island and move back in a little, before passing me with good clearance. This even worked with a wagon towing a fairground ride, and I'm sure it was the same bloke who has previously blasted past me at various points on my journey.

It kind of makes sense that by cowering against the kerb and by trying to make myself look small, it was interpreted as an invitation to pass. By claiming the road and looking big and confident, people seem to accept it and give way.

Sounds as though you have got 'it'. It's easy for us experienced cyclists to forget what it feels like to be a beginner. We all know how the traffic moves, the psychology and body language involved and have the certainty that we can claim our place on the road without coming to grief.

As a newcomer, until you have the confidence and some experience that this is the way it works it’s easy to see why the roads are such an intimidating place.

Teuchter

Über Member
It does look like you've made that leap. Regardless of all of the advice to take control of the situation and position yourself where you are more likely to be seen and where you can force other road users to give you the space you need, it takes a lot of confidence to start doing that. In a few months it'll be natural.

When I started regular cycle commuting 5 years ago (aged 34), I found the fitness aspect hardest - maintaining a steady cadence, fighting uphill and into the wind. It took about a month for me to start to notice an improvement. Don't be embarassed to get off and push up a hill, you're still benefiting from the rest of the ride and hiking up hills is good exercise itself!

A steep climb immediately followed by turing right across a busy road isn't pleasant in any cyclist's book. I'd say you're approaching it the right way by crossing on foot. The alternative is to stop by the kerb once you've cycled to the top then ride across when you have a gap in the traffic that allows you to cycle through that side of the junction. Not knowing the road, this may not be a good solution.

For what it's worth, I actually enjoy cycling in traffic. Once you have the confidence and can relax, you may come to enjoy it as well.

CycleDrew

Regular
Dont give it up. I was knocked off and had my bike pancaked by a van. Close shave makes you reassess your riding style.
No more darting about, patience with vehicles (especially big ones) and better awareness.
Is there something you can change that will make your ride that bit safer?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
It's really nice to be waving 'thanks' to drivers for giving me space, rather than constantly cursing under my breath.

This
whssign.JPG

On my 6.5 mile way in today I smiled and thanked lots of friendly drivers who overtook me sensibly or slowed down & waited for me to cycle through a few single track sections of road. And a few greetings to other cyclists too. There's just too much love getting spread about to give it up !

nick.b

if the area is that bad, you could always look up a place nicer but close by, pop you bike in the boot and park up somewhere where you can have a more plesent ride until you can do that hill, personally, id just stick by there guns, youll find if you go the same time each day many will be commuters and will get used to seeing a bike on that part of the road.

also, i only wear cycle kit that is very bright, most my gear is yellow with black shorts, makes it much easier for lorries to see you as they are passing you.

unfortunantly the abuse is horrible, nothing will stop that until they get used to sharing there road with cyclists.

Fubar

Guru
Hi dharma66,
it sounds like you don't really want to give up your rides, you just feel pressured by the environment (heavy traffic).
This thing about riding the uphill road to your house, I would forget it for now. I had a similar bit on my commute, for a few months I just took the pavement. With time comes confidence, now I take the road and actually ride in the middle of it, if they want to pass me they can go in the other lane ^_^
I can see the new riders on the block: they take the pavement as I used to, one has to start somehow!
If you find a really scary lorry behind you and you are on the road, stop when it's safe, let it pass.
I still do that sometimes. Never mind what the experienced riders say, one does not read cyclecraft and wake up next morning ready to ride a busy dual carriage way, especially not at our age!
The other thing, about dismounting and crossing on foot with your bike, don't see why drivers should be angry: I do that too, downhill, (rarely now that I know a few ways to go round the crossing) not because I cannot signal and manouvre, but because I don't trust the traffic to stop for me, slow as I am.
You need to find your comfort zone. Good luck!

I did this as well when I started out - stuck to the pavements and dismounted to cross the road, and generally only cycled on cycle paths. I eventually found that the road was safer than the cycle paths! I had a real fear of going on the road, but the final straw was one day on my usual cycle path (old railway track now tarmaced) when a family with prams refused to move to let me past so I had to walk through the mud to get past them - I'd had enough! Road cycling from then on. Generally drivers are fine and normally want to keep you from damaging their shiny motors, I've had a couple of close shaves but nothing to write home about and generally enjoy the ride! Ignore what everyone else says and go at your pace and cycle how it suits you. Regards, Mark

Linford

The most trouble I've actually had was with teenage pasengers, and teenage kids. As others have said, give the nod or a smile to others to diffuse a situation.

Give it a couple of days to settle your nerves. Certainly don't let any of the pillocks spoil it for you if you enjoy cycling.

Big boy

I have been cycling for quite a few years and have never been abused by a motorist.
I had problems during my motorcycle years but never on a bike.
If you ride as if you are invisible to motorists you wont go far wrong, i always wear a high viz waistcoat tthingy.
I have had a few cars trying to squeeze between me and narrow bridges etc, but now i try to wait and then ride in the middle so the even the old girl of75 will know she simply cant pass.

Top Bottom