Thinking of giving it up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What everyone else said and definitely read and follow Cyclecraft or while you are waiting for it The Theory of Big. It may be counter-intuitive and it may take a little courage and a bit of a thick skin to implement it but it really works. Whenever I see cyclists having the sorts of problems you recount its because they are sending out signals that they do not think they belong on the road and need to keep out of the way of the more important motorised traffic.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Can you tell me a bit about yourself, please? Where, roughly, in Manchester are you? Approximate age and previous cycling experience?
Stick with it, your confidence will grow. To build up your confidence and get used to the traffic, try a few shortish, left-handed circuits and then as your confidence increases then you can try right hand turns. The name of the game is not speed but enjoyment! Are there any roadside pubs or cafes nearby? Get yourself something to drink, sit and observe road behaviour - no pubs or cafes? Try a bench or a bus shelter!
Try to get out in the quieter part of the day and then you can gradually try cycling in the busier times
Do not worry too much about average speed - it will improve!.
Most cyclists on here are a good bunch and you can learn a lot! There are drama queens on here who are scared of their own shadow but still cycle - one wonders why.
Just think, next Spring, you can sample the delights of the Penines, Peaks and West Yorkshire Moors so stick with it,

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Ive been cycling for about three weeks now, and in that time I've been abused and nearly killed several times.

I see loads of stories on here about people getting abuse or being knocked off, and I'm starting to wonder if it's really worth it.
I do about 4000 plus miles per year and probably only get abuse maybe once or twice.

As your experience and confidence grows you will find it much more enjoyable and you will find that your not in conflict with other road users all the time.. I would stick with it ,the benefits are tremendous.Good Luck

nick.b

Ive been cycling for about three weeks now, and in that time I've been abused and nearly killed several times.

I see loads of stories on here about people getting abuse or being knocked off, and I'm starting to wonder if it's really worth it.

dont ride in the gutter, If im cycling and there isnt safe room for a car to pass me ill cycle slightly right of the centre of my lane so that there is no way for them to pass, if there is safe room ill shift to the left to give them plenty of room but imo, never be less then 2ft from the edge of the road and people will just force there way past.

if they have to wait a few more seconds to pass safely then thats what they have to do when they pass me.

Adopting a more "Confident" riding style will help alot but as for the abuse from fat bastards in transits, you'll just have to learn to laugh at them.

hope you dont give up, 8 weeks + and youll see a big gain in speed and therefore fun while cycling.

GL.

OP
OP
dharma66

dharma66

Regular
Thanks everyone. I'm still in two minds.
The incidents I've had have fallen into two main categories.
I live at the top of a hill. So whichever way I go, it's uphill back home, and I'm very slow uphill. There are a couple of roads that are 40mph limit, and quite wide, but have bollards that narrow the road. People just squeeze by at these points, without slowing. I've had to hop onto the pavement several times as articulated wagons have been within a few inches of me as they squeeze through at terrifying speed.
The other main issue is the right hand turn at the top of the hill. It's a busy road, and there is just no way I can get across a stream of traffic still doing 40 (though the limit has dropped to 30 at this point) to get to the right hander. So I have to dismount and cross the road at an island as a pedestrian pushing a bike. Whenever I cross here without my bike, there is no problem. But every time I cross with the bike, I get a torrent of abuse from several drivers. Even when I'm just standing on the pavement waiting to run across in a gap, people gesticulate and mouth obscenities. I don't have the wheel in the road or anything, just stood waiting to cross.
I am really enjoying cycling at weekends when I can get out at about 7 AM, but in the evenings on weekdays, I've been stunned at the level of hatred that emanates from people driving. Even though I've only been cycling a few weeks, I've always been one of those drivers who gives an extra yard to cyclists, and perhaps naively I thought everyone else would do the same.

I'm actually starting to think I should just not bother cycling in the week, and keep it to early hours at weekends. I'm just doing it fitness, not for transport - I have a 100mile daily round trip commute, so won't be doing that by bike any time soon! I really wanted to get out 3-5 times a week, but may just have to accept that not really feasible just yet.

I really ought to get Cycle Craft. Is it the one on amazon? I found something there I think, but it looked a bit odd, so I didn't buy it.

Globalti, thanks for the invite, but there is no way I can ride 35-40 miles yet. My absolute upper limit is 11, at 8-9mph average, and then I'm shot. Also, to be honest, a big part of the appeal of cycling is that it can be done solo. I'm really not a group activity kind of person.

Mr_hippo, I'm 46 years old, 280lbs, in Middleton M24, and last cycling experience was as a child 35 years ago, when most of the people in our neighbourhood didn't even have cars, and the roads were perfectly safe to play football in!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Dharma, don't give up! You live very close to me and I can tell you Manchester is actually quite a good place to ride if any of the stories you read here on the forum are anything to go by. Do you drive a car? If you do then I reckon you have most of the knowledge you need to ride a bike on the road, you just need to have the confidence to apply that knowledge even when you don't have a tin box wrapped around you. If we could find the time to hook up for a short ride together then perhaps I could give you a few pointers that may help you enjoy cycling in traffic a bit more. I actually love riding in traffic, my commute for 10 miles of busy urban road is actually the highlight of my working day although I did spend 15 years as a delivery van driver so may be somewhat hardened to the push and shove of city traffic. I can honestly say, I don't get abused, threatened, beeped, squeezed, nobody tries to kill me, I don't get run off the road and I don't have fear of roundabouts like the M60 one at Heaton Park!

46 is no age at all, I am 39 and don't expect to lose my cycling ability any time soon. If you haven't cycled for such along time then perhaps you shouldn't expect it all to slot into place in such a short time, after all, How long does it take to learn to drive? And that is with an instructor.

Stick at it and if I can help at all I will :thumbsup:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi dharma66,
it sounds like you don't really want to give up your rides, you just feel pressured by the environment (heavy traffic).
This thing about riding the uphill road to your house, I would forget it for now. I had a similar bit on my commute, for a few months I just took the pavement. With time comes confidence, now I take the road and actually ride in the middle of it, if they want to pass me they can go in the other lane ^_^
I can see the new riders on the block: they take the pavement as I used to, one has to start somehow!
If you find a really scary lorry behind you and you are on the road, stop when it's safe, let it pass.
I still do that sometimes. Never mind what the experienced riders say, one does not read cyclecraft and wake up next morning ready to ride a busy dual carriage way, especially not at our age!
The other thing, about dismounting and crossing on foot with your bike, don't see why drivers should be angry: I do that too, downhill, (rarely now that I know a few ways to go round the crossing) not because I cannot signal and manouvre, but because I don't trust the traffic to stop for me, slow as I am.
You need to find your comfort zone. Good luck!

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Just a little bit more perspective... As another fitness (good weather) cyclist Im upto about 3000 miles in the past 2 years, with only 1 pretty close pass, due to my gutter-riding and no verbal/road rage at all from drivers. Ive had a couple of shouts to/from irresponsible dog owners on cyclepaths but nothing serious. Ive probably had hundreds of waves and smiles from people im sharing the road/paths with and its overall a very positive experience not to mention doing wonders to my previously couch potato fitness. :smile: I know none of us are immune to bad people and situations, but that goes for anything.

I agree with the reading more about road positioning and cycling defensively with something like cyclecraft. Joining up with some other cyclists might help you learn more too :smile:

I think some of these issues are more prominent as a new cyclist until your speed improves enough to be part of the traffic flow rather than a moving obstacle, if you get what i mean. I know I had difficulty cycling on roads up hills and tended to just cycle (illegally) on the pavement because I was ridiculously slow due to being heavy and figured Id rather take the chance of a fine and made sure I gave pedestrians absolute priority.

I dont know Manchester at all (although my mums from there :smile:), but googles bicycle maps seem to think that theres a lot of traffic free routes around there, maybe you could use them for the bulk of your fitness riding. http://goo.gl/maps/DHFg0 the green routes might be worth a look.

Crankarm

Guru
Do what's right for you. It's your life and your skin. If you don't feel comfortable cycling then don't. No one with half a brain will think less of you. Anyway it's nobody's business except yours. If you like cycling and can hack it on the roads then perhaps choose the quieter times to ride which you already seem to be doing.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thanks everyone. I'm still in two minds.
The incidents I've had have fallen into two main categories.
I live at the top of a hill. So whichever way I go, it's uphill back home, and I'm very slow uphill. There are a couple of roads that are 40mph limit, and quite wide, but have bollards that narrow the road. People just squeeze by at these points, without slowing. I've had to hop onto the pavement several times as articulated wagons have been within a few inches of me as they squeeze through at terrifying speed.
The other main issue is the right hand turn at the top of the hill. It's a busy road, and there is just no way I can get across a stream of traffic still doing 40 (though the limit has dropped to 30 at this point) to get to the right hander. So I have to dismount and cross the road at an island as a pedestrian pushing a bike. Whenever I cross here without my bike, there is no problem. But every time I cross with the bike, I get a torrent of abuse from several drivers. Even when I'm just standing on the pavement waiting to run across in a gap, people gesticulate and mouth obscenities. I don't have the wheel in the road or anything, just stood waiting to cross.
I am really enjoying cycling at weekends when I can get out at about 7 AM, but in the evenings on weekdays, I've been stunned at the level of hatred that emanates from people driving. Even though I've only been cycling a few weeks, I've always been one of those drivers who gives an extra yard to cyclists, and perhaps naively I thought everyone else would do the same.

I'm actually starting to think I should just not bother cycling in the week, and keep it to early hours at weekends. I'm just doing it fitness, not for transport - I have a 100mile daily round trip commute, so won't be doing that by bike any time soon! I really wanted to get out 3-5 times a week, but may just have to accept that not really feasible just yet.

I really ought to get Cycle Craft. Is it the one on amazon? I found something there I think, but it looked a bit odd, so I didn't buy it.

Globalti, thanks for the invite, but there is no way I can ride 35-40 miles yet. My absolute upper limit is 11, at 8-9mph average, and then I'm shot. Also, to be honest, a big part of the appeal of cycling is that it can be done solo. I'm really not a group activity kind of person.

Mr_hippo, I'm 46 years old, 280lbs, in Middleton M24, and last cycling experience was as a child 35 years ago, when most of the people in our neighbourhood didn't even have cars, and the roads were perfectly safe to play football in!

When I started riding again after a long lay off I struggled to do my 2.5 mile commute to work and back. Coming home is uphill and I could hardly speak and would be soaked in sweat by the time I got home.

Plenty of people took the pi$$ and I remember feeling much more intimidated by cars.

Now about 4 years later I am 4 stone lighter and do regular 100 mile plus rides and over 4000 miles per year..If your not happy in traffic yet build your confidence up at quiet times on quiet roads first. gradually your fitness and confidence will go up and your weight will come down as a bonus. My attitude is bollocks to what anyone else says/thinks.

Licramite

Über Member
well the people round your way sound a delight, chuck bike in the back of car - drive to a nice quite country track (get an o/s map and you will find loads and cycle off road on tracks and trails, - no traffic, few people and lovely scenery, thats my favourate cycling.

Lozatron

Web forums are a bit like the media - you rarely get the good news (ie the majority of what goes on) but the horror stories get all the attention and are therefore mistakenly perceived as a true representation of what goes on.

Hmmm - this is all too true. I cycle a reasonable amount - 50-100 miles a week - commuting in London and at weekends. I'm ashamed to admit that I rarely post in this forum except when something horrible has happened...I bet a lot of other people are the same. Frankly, when things are going too well I'm too busy cycling to bother posting about it on teh interwebz...

Speaking personally, in spite of some scrapes, in the past four years cycling has changed my life - I've become much fitter, I've lost a significant amount of weight and I've found a sport I enjoy taking part in and a social group around that. Having spent my adult life believing "I'm not a sporty type" and accepting that I would be the jovial, rotund kind of person, my outlook has entirely changed.

I'm sure that this isn't true for everyone, different people have different reasons for cycling and the benefits it's given me in my life may not seem like benefits to you but...don't let people whining put you off. I *love* cycling and I whine about it more often than I talk about the good points...

lukesdad

When I started riding again after a long lay off I struggled to do my 2.5 mile commute to work and back. Coming home is uphill and I could hardly speak and would be soaked in sweat by the time I got home.

Plenty of people took the pi$$ and I remember feeling much more intimidated by cars.

Now about 4 years later I am 4 stone lighter and do regular 100 mile plus rides and over 4000 miles per year..If your not happy in traffic yet build your confidence up at quiet times on quiet roads first. gradually your fitness and confidence will go up and your weight will come down as a bonus. My attitude is bollocks to what anyone else says/thinks.

I can vouch for his attitude ^_^

sidevalve

Über Member
I'm 55 and have come back after a 30 year [ish] layoff and yes it is a bit of a shock at first. For one thing you now realize you a NOT invulnerable and falling off WILL hurt. However this will fade, you may always be a tad more carefull than in your yoof but you will find you are a bit wiser too.You are captain, crew and engine. You do as you choose, you don't have to race up or down hills. DO NOT give up. If you are only riding for pleasure / fitness then by all means buy a basic bike rack and take the bike out into the country [and ther is some bootyfull countryside around your area]. Finally the one really big advantage of a bike over ALL other methods of transport is, if you feel nervous then you can just hop off and walk it [you will get no medals for being brave]. After all walking keeps you fit too.

snorri

Legendary Member
Don't give up dharma66.:smile:
There is little I can add to the good advice in previous posts on this thread, but I would just say don't be embarrassed or ashamed about simply avoiding any parts of the road network that cause you stress. I think many experienced cyclists will take less direct routes rather than place themselves in potential danger.
It may be that you are as yet unable to differentiate between areas that are downright dangerous, and areas which a confident cyclist could navigate in relative safety.
Keep cycling on the quiter routes in the meantime and your confidence will grow.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom