Thinking of joining club but few questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

So I am thinking of joining a cycling club however have a few questions and would like to know your opinions if any of you guys are in any clubs.

1. Does it matter on the type of bike you have?
2. Do you have to be a certain age?
3. Who’s in charge of a club. Like a coach or ?
4, How do find a club near you?
5. Do they accept people with medical conditions as im Type 1 diabeties
6. Are most members nice have and have any of you had bad experiences.
7. Do they make you do some sort of cycling test before joining.
8. Anything else to know

I’m bassically looking to join a club to be a bit more social and also so I have another thing to do because I currently have a lot of free time.

Stompier

Do you have a particular club in mind? If so, those questions are so specific that you would probably be better asking them direct. Clubs vary massively in their aims and activities and so do people's experiences, so there is not going to be a single, general answer to any of those questions.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Each club will have a different ethos; mine's more about road riding with very few racing and a new MTB section. They're social through to more serious.

1. It shouldn't matter what type of bike, although the type of club will almost dictate that. It goes from the HSBC-sponsored Let's Ride through to racing clubs with the latest kit such as Rapha CC. My club's got riders on all sorts of bikes, hybrids through to the latest carbon - and in most cases there's no snobbery.

One thing to think about, seeing you're female, is whether they have a ladies section or even be a female-only club. Mine began a ladies section about 4 years ago when riders from several clubs wanted to form their own sub-group and have their own rides / kit / events to help women ride more. It's been a brilliant idea, with a greater range of rides and more partners joining as well.

2. Age-wise you'll probably have to be over 16, otherwise it's a junior club and there's lots of those.

3. If it's a British Cycling registered club there'll be a committee. The club secretary is usually the point of contact.

4. British Cycling's Clubfinder will help you find one: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubfinder

5. Diabetes should be fine, although I'd let them know when you join. That's a minor condition compared to some.

6. Most members are fine; those that aren't tend to find themselves out on their own. I've had a couple of bad experiences when considering joining a club; one local one didn't want new members and another said I was too fast for them :eek: . I've had a couple of riders be an issue in mine - I have my own way of dealing with them, usually up steep hills :okay:

7. No test, but most clubs will invite potential members on one of their shorter or beginner rides just to check. On a couple of occasions my club's had riders who couldn't ride more than a couple of miles slowly try to join their long weekend ride that's at speed. We've got beginner's rides for that purpose and a more social sister club.

My suggestion is to find a few clubs local to you, look at their website / social media pages and select one/two that are of interest. Make contact. I found mine because they rode on Saturday's and bumped into their riders a couple of times - they seemed (mostly) sensible.

You're likely to be covered under their insurance for up to 5 rides. After that you'd need to join and pay a membership fee plus insurance, usually through being a British Cycling or Cycling UK member.

Where are you based? There's probably CC members nearby who know of the different clubs, and may even be a member.

Last edited:
Nothing should matter but some clubs become a bit testosterone based but other groups are the exact opposite and you sometimes have to try a few to find the one that suits you. I've found clubs/groups on the web, the BC Club finder site is one resource or just googling and at them through word of mouth I've found out about other group who might not be on the web.

Seevio

Guru
1. Probably not
2. Depends on the club. May have to be over 18
3. Depends on the club.
4. Google search. Facebook. Ask on CC. Local club guide. Library. Ask at local bike shop.
5. Depends on club. Probably. How will they know?
6. Depends on club.
7. Depends on club. Probably have to demonstrate you no longer need stabilisers. This is usual achieved by showing up on the bike. You may need to be able to keep up with certain rides.
8. Best thing to do is find a local club and ask them. If you like what they have to say, join. If not, find another club and ask them etc.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Thanks suppose i should google and I’m 20 in the Reading, Berkshire area.

I forgot my friends mum said something about cycling clubs when I last saw them perhaps I should ask some people I know, :banghead:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
4. British Cycling's Clubfinder will help you find one: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubfinder

5. Diabetes should be fine, although I'd let them know when you join. That's a minor condition compared to some.
4. Also look on www.letsride.co.uk www.cyclenation.org.uk www.cyclinguk.org and probably Sustrans, Meetup, Facebook and so on - BC like to pretend other groupings don't exist but we do.

5. Only tell them if there's a risk you'll need care during the ride as a result. Otherwise, them refusing to let you ride would be discrimination so I wouldn't tell them (and don't for my illness), especially BC clubs with its recent past ("wobblies and gimps").
On a couple of occasions my club's had riders who couldn't ride more than a couple of miles slowly try to join their long weekend ride that's at speed. We've got beginner's rides for that purpose and a more social sister club.
It seems insulting to label the slower ride as "beginners" and iffy to refer them to a "sister". Many people get slower through illness. Maybe that's part of why some of its target audience avoids it.

You're likely to be covered under their insurance for up to 5 rides. After that you'd need to join and pay a membership fee plus insurance, usually through being a British Cycling or Cycling UK membe
Only insured on BC club rides if you are an invited guest, as I understand it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
If you don’t mind a journey, Abingdon Freewheeling offers a very different club experience. It’s a social riding club rather than sporting, offering group rides covering different distances and speeds. Doesn’t matter what you ride or wear.
Organise an annual cycle festival for all.

Last edited:

DCLane

It seems insulting to label the slower ride as "beginners" and iffy to refer them to a "sister". Many people get slower through illness. Maybe that's part of why some of its target audience avoids it.

Probably worse to you (?) is that it's the Ladies' ride used for this. And it's currently the most popular ride the club runs.

Both clubs refer to themselves as sister clubs. One's more social, the other longer rides - and many are members of both.

Stompier

Thanks suppose i should google and I’m 20 in the Reading, Berkshire area.

I forgot my friends mum said something about cycling clubs when I last saw them perhaps I should ask some people I know, :banghead:
Reading cc would be the most obvious choice - big club which should be able to cater for all levels or preferences.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
As a fellow type 1,do NOT keep it a secret. That's stupid advise. We both know how quickly a hypo can start and how quickly it can get serious.
Ensure at the very least the ride leader knows about it and ensure you carry plenty of ammo (jelly babies are best) if a hypo attacks.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As a fellow type 1,do NOT keep it a secret. That's stupid advise. We both know how quickly a hypo can start and how quickly it can get serious.
Ensure at the very least the ride leader knows about it and ensure you carry plenty of ammo (jelly babies are best) if a hypo attacks.
Please note that was not the advice for such cases. We don't know the OP. It's up to them to decide if they're at risk of needing care during a ride, not us and definitely not a ride leader. Blanket statements are unhelpful here.

Last edited:

DCLane

Top Bottom