Thinking of joining club but few questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Please note that was not the advice for such cases. OP could be well managed on a continuous pump or whatever. We don't know. It's up to them to decide if they're at risk of needing care during a ride, not us and definitely not a ride leader.

Somebody needs to know incase of accident or emergency. Even pump users are not free of hypos. It's not a cure for diabetes, simply a different way of delivering insulin.
Whether you speak as diabetic or non diabetic, your advise to keep quiet about it is both stupid and ignorant of its risks. As a diabetic, I think I know more about it than you.

rivers

How far can I go?
So I am thinking of joining a cycling club however have a few questions and would like to know your opinions if any of you guys are in any clubs.

1. Does it matter on the type of bike you have? Depends on the club
2. Do you have to be a certain age? As you're over 18, no
3. Who’s in charge of a club. Like a coach or ? Usually a committee
4, How do find a club near you? British cycling or Cycling UK websites are a good place to start
5. Do they accept people with medical conditions as im Type 1 diabeties Shouldn't preclude you. inform the committee and let them know what to do in case of emergency. carry emergency contact info on you, and as someone suggested jelly babies
6. Are most members nice have and have any of you had bad experiences. Like most things in life, some people are great and others not so much
7. Do they make you do some sort of cycling test before joining. Different clubs have different rules. All new riders in my club must join group 3 for their first ride. This is to learn the route and make sure they don't overestimate their ability. A group 3 rider will never be left alone as the last rider volunteer will stay with anyone who may fall off the back. Once you move up into group 2, it is expected that you if you are falling behind (we all have those days where the legs just say no) whatever subgroup 2 you have joined, you will soft pedal and wait for the next subgroup to catch up. If you don't know the route, you won't know where to go if any junctions or turns crop up while you wait for the next group. NB-- we cycle the same route most weeks, with different routes on offer periodically throughout the year
8. Anything else to know Have fun

I’m bassically looking to join a club to be a bit more social and also so I have another thing to do because I currently have a lot of free time.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Whether you speak as diabetic or non diabetic, your advise to keep quiet about it is both stupid and ignorant of its risks. As a diabetic, I think I know more about it than you.
And I think both that you know less about the Opening Poster's diabetes than the OP and that you are misreading my answer to "5. Do they accept people with medical conditions" as telling diabetics to do the exact opposite of what I wrote ("tell them [the ride first-aider] if there's a risk you'll need care during the ride"). I simply think one shouldn't tell a club about medical conditions on joining and probably never tell them about irrelevant ones, especially given BC's notorious ableism.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
And I think both that you know less about the Opening Poster's diabetes than the OP and that you are misreading my answer to "5. Do they accept people with medical conditions" as telling diabetics to do the exact opposite of what I wrote ("tell them [the ride first-aider] if there's a risk you'll need care during the ride"). I simply think one shouldn't tell a club about medical conditions on joining and probably never tell them about irrelevant ones, especially given BC's notorious ableism.

It matters not who's diabetes is of concern. Diabetes, well controlled or not is at best, an unstable condition requiring ridiculous amounts of attention to manage. It takes very little effort to cause low glucose levels which causes dizziness, confusion, and in serious cases a full on epilepsy type attack. Not something to be desired when on a bike.
Having some idiot deny a diabetic a ride as you say, would be a case of discrimination, but better that knowledge up front than having a hypo on a ride which the sufferer cannot take care of him/herself and no one else not knowing what to do.
Better safe than sorry.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It matters not who's diabetes is of concern. Diabetes, well controlled or not is at best, an unstable condition requiring ridiculous amounts of attention to manage. It takes very little effort to cause low glucose levels which causes dizziness, confusion, and in serious cases a full on epilepsy type attack. Not something to be desired when on a bike.
Having some idiot deny a diabetic a ride as you say, would be a case of discrimination, but better that knowledge up front than having a hypo on a ride which the sufferer cannot take care of him/herself and no one else not knowing what to do.
Better safe than sorry.

You are absolutely correct. I have no knowledge of diabetes but I am epileltic, had a heart attack in 2015 and a brain haemorrhage in January this year. Everyone I ride with regularly, and many others in the club, are aware of some or all of my medical history.

As I see it I would be highly irresponsible not to inform people around me in case there is an event of some sort. Secondly I am much safer if friends know of my medical history as it will help them convey the urgency of the situation should the emergency services be required.

I have no concerns over declaring my medical history in any situation where it might have the slightest relevance. There should be no embarrassment in doing so whatever the condition.

You are absolutely correct. I have no knowledge of diabetes but I am epileltic, had a heart attack in 2015 and a brain haemorrhage in January this year. Everyone I ride with regularly, and many others in the club, are aware of some or all of my medical history.

As I see it I would be highly irresponsible not to inform people around me in case there is an event of some sort. Secondly I am much safer if friends know of my medical history as it will help them convey the urgency of the situation should the emergency services be required.

I have no concerns over declaring my medical history in any situation where it might have the slightest relevance. There should be no embarrassment in doing so whatever the condition.
:ohmy: That quite a list, I hope its all under control:hugs:. When I was an epileptic in my teen/twenties I had the same policy of letting everyone that I rode with/ worked with know. Thankfully, its been about 20years since my last fit. This year I had a major op and was in chemo and that policy has come back into place. I am 99.99% sure nothing will happen but i the worst case I'd rather they know than things be delayed whilst they figure out what is happening.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Key phrase remains "relevance". There is no point me disclosing my medical conditoions because they will not cause an incident on a ride and paramedics don't need to know. By the time any of them matter (a week or so), they'll have my records or been in touch with my medical insurers. The main thing achieved by disclosure is discrimination by idiots.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@HLaB yes thank you it is all under control. I am fitter, healthier and stronger than I have been in perhaps 30 years!! My last fit was in 2011. I am truly riding better today than when I was 30.

Only mentioned these things because I deem it vital those around me know my history in case something goes wrong. Like you I am 99.99% nothing will happen.

I do also truly believe it is important to be open about both physical and mental health - I came close to depression during this year's recovery. Openness helps the individual and encourages others to think about their own health.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Thanks guys. How come most of these things are on Sundays annoyingly i volunteer on Sundays.

Also I would not not tell, i kind of think it’s a bit dumb now thinking. I know I asked it but I was asking if anyone got turned down because of it. I’m not a pumper user and I do injections. I also wear a medical id bracelet saying I’m type 1 diabetic. Hypos are a pain and dangerous if not recognised in time. But it would be common sense to tell them. Just Incase. I’m actually lucky that I rarely get hypos but occasionally do. You never know when you will. Also I guess if they didn’t allow of that it would be discrimatjon according to my diabeties from diabeties is classed as a unseen disability underneath equality act.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thanks guys. How come most of these things are on Sundays annoyingly i volunteer on Sundays.

I think most rides are on a Sunday from both a traditional and practical view. The majority of people will be able to organise themselves around a Sunday morning ride.

My own be club organises "official" rides on Saturday (1), Sunday (3), Tuesday training (3 groups at different levels on same route) and Thursday hilly training.

There are though many other rides through the week. For example the club pensioners, we prefer retirees, ride Monday, Wednesday, Friday and anyone is welcome. Another group starts rides at 6.00am Saturday and is popular with those with young families as they get home 10.00/10.30. As a retiree I could ride with official or unofficial rides seven days a week.

We are looking at introducing a short, fast ride with no cafe stop. This is for those short on time and others who want to up their speed and endurance. It's expected to run at 45/50 miles with an average of 16/17mph.

You'll only discover the "unofficial" rides by joining a club, listening to the chat** and asking questions.

** beware of pensioners' pace - it may not be what you expect! 😂

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Some clubs in my area do their main rides on Saturdays. The one I used to ride with was Saturday mornings for the main rides plus other rides either ad hoc or semi regular organised via the website.

Keep searching and you may find what suits you.

Top Bottom