Thinking of joining club but few questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
You'll only discover the "unofficial" rides by joining a club, listening to the chat** and asking questions.

I would mostly agree with this, but to me these are the best rides, so much so that a lot of who are not members of clubs find out about them from Facebook,Strava etc, they are ridden by members from many clubs and non members who have left clubs (including me) who have become fed up with the officialdome of club riding, a lot caused by BC rules. When in a club in my younger days I can't remember any of the problems that seem to crop up nowadays, non members and members from other clubs would often ride on our club runs and be very welcome, much like the unofficial rides I sometimes attend now.

Last edited:

Stompier

Thanks guys. How come most of these things are on Sundays annoyingly i volunteer on Sundays.

Smaller clubs might well only ride out on Sundays. The bigger the club, the more likely they are to have a number of different rides or ride types on different days.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As a fellow type 1,do NOT keep it a secret. That's stupid advise. We both know how quickly a hypo can start and how quickly it can get serious.
Ensure at the very least the ride leader knows about it and ensure you carry plenty of ammo (jelly babies are best) if a hypo attacks.
Indeed! I was on a group cycling holiday on the Costa Blanca about 20 years ago. One very warm day the group set off on a strenuous route and we were just getting to the top of the 1,000 metre high Tudons climb when a rider at the front suddenly started wobbling all over the road before falling off unconscious! Fortunately, the riders with him sussed what the situation was, despite the rider not having told us that he was a diabetic. We were next to an army base at the time and managed to communicate to one of the young guards on duty at the gate that the rider needed to get to hospital ASAP. An army vehicle appeared and the rider was whisked off to hospital. They sorted him out and he turned up back at the hotel next day looking rather sheepish. After a day off he was back riding with us again, but was a lot more careful to eat and drink appropriately!

If this incident had happened about 20 minutes later we would have been on our high-speed descent towards Benidorm and it would not have had a happy ending!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The better groups ride starting later at this time of year (to minimise number of ice cancellations) which often means varying between Sat/Sun because of how many potential lunch stops have gone booked-only or carvery-only on Sundays.

Thanks guys. How come most of these things are on Sundays annoyingly i volunteer on Sundays
At my current club,the official run was on a Sunday but by word of mouth I heard about an off-shoot ride on the Saturday that wasn't advertised and it actually suited me better :okay: I also found out about other non official rides on other days. Once you get in there you may find something that suits you.

At my former two club's the Saturday rides were far more popular than the more official Sunday ride but those Saturday rides were advertised. Similarly though I found out by word of mouth about non official weekday and evening rides.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I would mostly agree with this, but to me these are the best rides, so much so that a lot of who are not members of clubs find out about them from Facebook,Strava etc, they are ridden by members from many clubs and non members who have left clubs (including me) who have become fed up with the officialdome of club riding, a lot caused by BC rules. When in a club in my younger days I can't remember any of the problems that seem to crop up nowadays, non members and members from other clubs would often ride on our club runs and be very welcome, much like the unofficial rides I sometimes attend now.

I agree the unofficial rides are the most fun and being retired I'd say 80% of my club riding is on Monday, Wednesday and Friday with the other retired reprobates. We are the core of the group but anyone who can hack it at pensioners' pace is welcome.

Our club unofficial rides are open to non club members but I think only 2-3 do turn out.

The issues you mention largely revolve around insurance which in my younger days, perhaps yours, wasn't even a consideration.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Thanks guys I guess I should just keep reaseching.

Indeed! I was on a group cycling holiday on the Costa Blanca about 20 years ago. One very warm day the group set off on a strenuous route and we were just getting to the top of the 1,000 metre high Tudons climb when a rider at the front suddenly started wobbling all over the road before falling off unconscious! Fortunately, the riders with him sussed what the situation was, despite the rider not having told us that he was a diabetic. We were next to an army base at the time and managed to communicate to one of the young guards on duty at the gate that the rider needed to get to hospital ASAP. An army vehicle appeared and the rider was whisked off to hospital. They sorted him out and he turned up back at the hotel next day looking rather sheepish. After a day off he was back riding with us again, but was a lot more careful to eat and drink appropriately!

If this incident had happened about 20 minutes later we would have been on our high-speed descent towards Benidorm and it would not have had a happy ending!
That’s bad and just proves people should tell about your medical condition. After all wouldn’t you tell your boss at work? So how is it any different. Sounds like he learned the hard way. Although saying that not everyone that is diabetic can recognise hypos. I’m lucky that I can. I say this becuse the occasional times I’ve felt it whilst cycling I always stop to check and this is ussually when eyesight wont focus and I get confused. We all feel them diffently or the same. At least he’s alright. I often test before I cycle as well. I haven’t haved any issues with my diabeties and severe hypos since 2014 (and well that’s a long story)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks guys I guess I should just keep reaseching.

That’s bad and just proves people should tell about your medical condition. After all wouldn’t you tell your boss at work? So how is it any different. Sounds like he learned the hard way. Although saying that not everyone that is diabetic can recognise hypos. I’m lucky that I can. I say this becuse the occasional times I’ve felt it whilst cycling I always stop to check and this is ussually when eyesight wont focus and I get confused. We all feel them diffently or the same. At least he’s alright. I often test before I cycle as well. I haven’t haved any issues with my diabeties and severe hypos since 2014 (and well that’s a long story)
I don't suffer from diabetes but have bonked really badly several times and ended up the same way. I ended up lying in the middle of the road on a circuit of Mull. I crawled to the verge and conked out there for a while until I got my energy levels back up. A few concerned tourists stopped to ask if I needed help, which was nice of them!

Top Bottom