Thinking of Taking up Guitar - Any tips ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At the ripe old age of 59 I am considering taking up guitar

I did try once in my early 20's - but found it really difficult - any tips -?

Do I buy a guitar and use an online video - or would I be best finding a tutor and let them supply a guitar ?

What sort of music would you ultimately be looking to play?

Do I buy a guitar and use an online video - or would I be best finding a tutor and let them supply a guitar ?

I would get an acoustic off ebay for £30 and learn a few basic chords to start with. Then as much time you can spend practicing so your fingers strengthen up (much like the old legs in cycling). Not easy to start with but within a week you are switching chords easier and a song book awaits. Good luck :okay:

This might be handy if you can nab one secondhand.
https://www.guitarworld.com/features/best-acoustic-guitars-for-beginners-beginner-acoustic-guitars
I've had a Tanglewood for 15 years ... great value and nice sound.

Alba Zeus

Über Member
Started to learn acoustic at the start of lockdown. Used Andy Guitar on YouTube. He has a paid app but his tube stuff is good to get the basics.

Grew up during the Oasis years so a load of their songs are easy to pick up for beginners,

Wonderwall
Cast No Shadow
Talk Tonight
Live Forever

All super easy to get down. I have about 20 songs under my belt now, can sing whilst playing (for me the hardest part) & have moved onto to finger picking stuff.

Main thing is, stick with it. The old practice makes perfect is key to learning guitar. Even if you pick it up for only half an hour a day its better than 4 hours once a week, IMO.

Kajjal

Guru
Get a decent guitar to begin with as the cheap ones are very difficult to play and can drive you mad. This does not mean spending a fortune and there are plenty of good second hand guitars. After than it is down to practice, few people are naturals and most it just takes time. The online guides such as justinguitar above are very good. Good luck 😁

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I’d start with air guitar and progress from there.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The thing that affects most beginners is sore finger tips. Get a decent guitar, it's got to be something that inspires you makes you want to play, and light gauge strings.
Eventually you'll develop callouses and it won't be so painful.
I've always played six string from my teens and recently took up bass during lockdown. I enjoy that more than guitar. Not so hard on the fingers.
For starters it's just a question of learning the chords.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Cheers folks.

A few more probably daft questions:-

Do I need a left handed guitar - as a left hander ?

My hearing isn't what it once was - I wear hearing aids and need subtitles when watching TV - would this be a hindrance.?

How do I know if a guitar is suitable/good for a beginner?

Are lessons worth it - or is it just practice ?

Do I need a left handed guitar - as a left hander ? Not neccesarily. Example: Gary Moore.

My hearing isn't what it once was - I wear hearing aids and need subtitles when watching TV - would this be a hindrance.? Nope.

How do I know if a guitar is suitable/good for a beginner? If you find something half-decent, it's good for anyone, beginner or not.

Are lessons worth it - or is it just practice ? Although I am completely self-taught, it's possible lessons would help more. They definitely will if you intend to learn to red music as you learn.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, you'll need a left handed instrument. I should go to a good music store so you can try a few and be guided by their staff.
As long you can hear the notes you should be okay. My hearing is not good a differentiating tones but I can manage.

Top Bottom