Thinking of Taking up Guitar - Any tips ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Do I need a left handed guitar - as a left hander ?
Not necessarily - I saw a band during the week with a left handed bass player who just used a normal one upsidedown and then took over the lead guitar from the right handed player and used that upsidedown as well.

Big John

Guru
I'm left handed but I've got a right handed guitar.....a Vantage acoustic, which I've had since God's dog was a pup. The plec guard is in the wrong place, admittedly, but I have it strung normally i.e. right handed. My lad bought me one of these electronic tuners and what a godsend that is. If you take it up then stick at it. I've been 'twanging', as the wife calls it, since I was about 14 and I play it every day. The guitar is a great way to chill out and relax.

DRM

Guru
I wouldn’t bother with an Acoustic, get yourself an electric, it’ll be much easier to learn on, also get a headphone amp, they’re about 2” x 1” charge it up put the earphones in and off you go, Justin guitar is a fantastic website to learn with, and the majority is free, Andy guitar is good too, but it’s a bit less free content, but both will get you going, the thing with both is they have songs of all genres to learn, have a look at the Harley Benton range from Thomann they really punch above their price tag, one of their mid range Stratocaster copies would be a really good guitar, the reviews compare with some of the less expensive Fender Stratocasters, but will cost about £115 as opposed to about £550, but go to the shops and try some guitars out, you will know what feels right in your hands, I’m left handed but mine are right handed, as fretting with the left hand just seems right
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_st_20mn_ca_standard_series.htm
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_st_62_rw_sb_vintage_series.htm
https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/prod...MIv-6k-tu4-wIVCbrtCh09DQz_EAQYASABEgLgUfD_BwE

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I wouldn’t bother with an Acoustic, get yourself an electric, it’ll be much easier to learn on, also get a headphone amp, they’re about 2” x 1” charge it up put the earphones in and off you go, Justin guitar is a fantastic website to learn with, and the majority is free, Andy guitar is good too, but it’s a bit less free content, but both will get you going, the thing with both is they have songs of all genres to learn, have a look at the Harley Benton range from Thomann they really punch above their price tag, one of their mid range Stratocaster copies would be a really good guitar, the reviews compare with some of the less expensive Fender Stratocasters, but will cost about £115 as opposed to about £550, but go to the shops and try some guitars out, you will know what feels right in your hands, I’m left handed but mine are right handed, as fretting with the left hand just seems right
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_st_20mn_ca_standard_series.htm
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_st_62_rw_sb_vintage_series.htm
https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/prod...MIv-6k-tu4-wIVCbrtCh09DQz_EAQYASABEgLgUfD_BwE

I really want acoustic! - sorry should have said up thread.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have never seen the point of left-handed guitars!

When you think about it, the left hand used on a right-handed guitar generally has to do more complicated things than the right hand so I would have thought that would suit left-handed players. (Obviously if they had learned to play on a conventional guitar!)

We don't have (or need) left-handed pianos etc.

icowden

Veteran
When you think about it, the left hand used on a right-handed guitar generally has to do more complicated things than the right hand so I would have thought that would suit left-handed players. (Obviously if they had learned to play on a conventional guitar!)

I'm going to take a slight issue with that, in that the right hand on a guitar can be doing some complicated things in terms of picking the strings (assuming you aren't just strumming) whilst the left hand may be doing simpler positions. Depending on your "handedness" and what you want to play you may or may not find it more or less difficult to use a right handed guitar. That said, 99% of all the tutorials, videos etc are going to be showing you a right handed guitar and technique, so you will find it much harder to translate that to a left handed guitar.

We don't have (or need) left-handed pianos etc.
Tru dat :-) But many instruments actually favour left handedness. Most string instruments have the right hand doing bowing and the left hand doing the fiddly stuff. French horn is left handed by nature. Piano lefties will find it easier to do boogiewoogie, walking bass and ragtime keeping that rhythm going in the left hand.

Another good test of how easy / hard you might find it to play the guitar is whether you play any other instruments. I have played piano extremely well for over 40 years so my fingers tend to be constantly in a curved position. I can't do flat barring on a guitar at all as my fingers just won't stay straight once I fold them over.

That said, anyone can learn some basic chords and accompany themselves for a few songs. Most pop songs can be dealt with by learning G, C, D major and minor, A major and minor , E major and minor and F. And lots of the time you don't need F!. You can also fake a B7 without too much difficulty. The capo is your friend when you want to play in a different key.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm going to take a slight issue with that, in that the right hand on a guitar can be doing some complicated things in terms of picking the strings (assuming you aren't just strumming) whilst the left hand may be doing simpler positions.
I don't think that fingerpicking is anywhere near as difficult as intricate left hand stuff. (Mind you, I am right handed so that might be part of it.)

So, you want an acoustic.

Makes like Tanglewood or Yamaha are generally pretty reliable, but there are plenty of others that are also good.

The main problem with cheaper guitars is that they leave the factory not "set up". That is to say that they are not adjusted for optimum playing perfection. They leave the factory ok to play (usually!) but not perfect. Rather like a lower cost bicycle leaves the factory with all the correct bits attached, but it probably needs a bit of "fettling" to make it perfect.

So some shops include a set up of a guitar as part of the purchase package. Others just sell you the guitar and leave you to find a technician/repairer to do the set up for you at a cost of maybe £40.

As regards right versus left handed playing, I believe Mark Knopfler is left handed but plays right handed guitar and he seems to get on alright with it! But Jimi Hendrix was left handed and played left handed. Whatever works for you, although it's always a bit difficult to find left handed guitars in shops. They may have a few, but nowhere near as many as right handed ones.

Other things to mention:
Buy a tuner. You can get mobile phone apps but I prefer "clip on" tuners that attach to the guitar by a little bulldog clip type fastener, and tell if each string is correctly tuned or not. And to start with, it will be or not, because new guitars often take a while to settle, and will likely go out of tune in different temperature or humidity. That's perfectly normal. Just learn to use the tuner, and to quickly get the instrument ready to play.

It's better to play for a few minutes every day, rather than, say, to play for an hour just once a week. In any case, holding down the strings will hurt your fingers to start with. So just playing for a few minutes at a time might be all you can manage to begin with. That's perfectly ok.

As has already been mentioned, there is tons of stuff on YouTube but, of course, it can't help you if you are going wrong, or just can't "get" something that the youtuber is demonstrating. It may be better to have at least a few face to face lessons at first, until you have mastered the absolute basics.

As regards hearing impairment, one of the members of a band I am in is 80+ and his hearing is pretty bad, but he still enjoys playing and can hear enough to get by. It's the chatting between songs that he can't make out a word of.......

I hope this has been helpful, and not just confused you even more!

The more I think about it, the more buying your first guitar is like going into a shop to buy a first ever bike. There are loads to choose from, in all shapes and sizes, at vastly different prices. Whichever one you buy may, in hindsight, not be a 100% wise choice, but it will get you started. Just as long as it's not such a pile of poo that you immediately become disheartened and give up......

Best wishes, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

GuyBoden

Guru
Lots of left handed players play right handed guitar, but if you pick a lot of notes, it's more beneficial to use your dominant hand for picking.

If you play a lot of legato (non picked notes) using your dominant hand as a fretting hand might prove more useful.

Right handed guitars can be setup to be used upside down, Jimi Hendrix.

Jimi-Hendrix-1967.jpg

Julia9054

Guru
I don't think that fingerpicking is anywhere near as difficult as intricate left hand stuff. (Mind you, I am right handed so that might be part of it.)

Oh it is. I am left handed and have bought a guitar and tried to teach myself on 3 different occasions in my life. Given up each time as i can’t get my right hand to do what I want it to.
Come to the conclusion that instruments with strings are not for me

Top Bottom