Thinnest angle grinder disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
clid61

clid61

Veteran
Start cutting on the inside of the main triangle, followed by the rear of the head tube, and the inside of the seat tube.
appreciated

If I was attempting that, I'd use a mini grinder with a 1.2mm cutting disc. Note, there are 2 sizes available, in the UK the common size is 115mm OD with 22mm bore, over here the common size is 105mm OD, 16mm bore. They are referred to as 4.5" grinders or 4" respectively. The UK size has the advantage I think, a little bit more depth for your money.

As mentioned already, where the tubes meet might be troublesome, daresay I'd think of something on the fly, but in cold blood I can't say what I'd do really. Good luck, and a few pics please - else it was all just a dream :laugh:

D

Deleted member 26715

He's making a true fat bike, not only fat tyres, but fat frame, although how he's going to get a crank long enough is still puzzling me

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have already posted a link to a 0.8mm cutting disc. Not sure why people are suggesting 2mm ones :wacko:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I have already posted a link to a 0.8mm cutting disc. Not sure why people are suggesting 2mm ones :wacko:
Too much wobble with a slitting disc IMHO if he wants a straight line. I’ve regularly cut stainless pipe for timber winch cable ferrules with 2mm diamond discs and a Makita 18v cordless. The OP can do what he chooses. The question you should ask is why is he bothering

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I did not experience any wobble when I cut pipe, albeit 3-4mm. My assumption is that is splitting a frame to create some wall art - I could be wrong though, it could be a DIY carbon frame mould.

D

Deleted member 26715

I did not experience any wobble when I cut pipe, albeit 3-4mm. My assumption is that is splitting a frame to create some wall art - I could be wrong though, it could be a DIY carbon frame mould.
I tend to use 1mm blades only as they are more easily available

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Wow, never knew they made them that thin. Not seen any over here, just as well as they sound like an accident waiting to happen. The 1.2mm ones feel flexy and fragile enough.
When I first started I loaded up with as much personal protection as I could find, but honestly no problems and would be happy to carry on using them.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I worked for my former father in law making wrought iron gates and railings, and other stuff. He treated the grinder with disdain, having seen a colleague peppered with shards. He would reach for a file or the saw first From what I learned, pay What you can afford for best discs, match the rpm to the motor, and make sure they are dry and in date. Oh, and keep the guard on! Many supposed Safety glasses are also not rated for flying abrasive disc.

Top Bottom