Third Chain In A Year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I was only getting 1200 to 1600 miles out of 9 and 10 speed chains, 7 speed should last longer in general. I say should....but like most things in life now, quality just isn't there like in the past.
I was only 10.5 stone but could never get great mileages...but I used to attack hills out the saddle, continually push push push, which puts a lot of strain through the chain, hence (I assume) the lower mileages achieved.
Personally I never get too excited about chains, it's a consumable, not particually expensive and no big deal in the scheme of things. I also learned, any amount of cleaning or lubricating regimes did little or nothing to extend chain life in any meaningful way.

Logically, its the hills which knacker the drive.

The extra force required to get up a hill is bound to create greater friction between the chain and cogs and therefore, the wear will be greater.

The chain will begin to slip over the rear cogs under load which is potentially deadly (especially if you are out of the saddle going hard).

Worst case is when the small chainring becomes shark toothed and sucks the chain up into itself (chain suck). The whole things comes to a sudden and grinding halt.

A new freewheel, crankset and chain costs me about £50 all in and takes about an hour to change.

It's no big deal.

Reactions: gbb
But like I said before, I can't find a setup with replaceable rings for my bike.

If you can link me to a pair of square taper cranks and three rings to suit, I'd go for it.
see above - my three most used bikes are square taper triples.
I appreciate that supply is limited at the moment - and brexit hasn't helped with sources of more traditional bits. If you found a source abroad (I used to use Rose a lot) a big order of spares might be worthwhile.
I stocked up with lots of chainrings from them for Deore and Alivio chainsets - one of my Alivios is still going strong after I sorted a problem on the middle ring by just replacing it - other two rings were fine.
Hopefully the situation will improve soon.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Spa Cycles probs have a Stronglight Triple crankset for £70 on offer. Good hard rings will be £16 a piece maybe, and mesh with Shimano stuff. My hack mtb get-around is set up with this gear, and it’s really tough / cost effective. Cheap rings seem to eat chains in dirty conditions imho. Lay out a bit more initially.
Consider an extra long and wide front mudflap. Make your own or eg FLAPS. Mines a RAW copy from damp proof membrane. Rivet on. Less mud. Cleaner chain.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Consider an extra long and wide front mudflap. Make your own or eg FLAPS. Mines a RAW copy from damp proof membrane. Rivet on. Less mud. Cleaner chain.
I've made a mudflap with ABS roofing hip support tray. I also used the same material to make a cowling which skirts the underside of the crank.

They reduce a lot of the mud, but not all of it.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've made a mudflap with ABS roofing hip support tray. I also used the same material to make a cowling which skirts the underside of the crank.

You can make mudflaps from old plastic milk bottles and old plastic pop bottles as well, I've also used old washing up bottles as well.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur

Oh well, you literally have it covered then.
Maybe you’re searching for unobtainium?
There is no answer to some things.
Dutch do a derailleur half chainguard in various flavours for around €20 for your triple. You could fashion one from green hosepipe.
You could make a continuous oil bath from pop bottles and old toothbrushes, I guess. But... Where does the fiddling end and the just-getting-on-with-it begin?
”Dragon”? Is that a necessary adjunct to the story, really? Is this the person putting a roof over your head? You put it out there, so I’m just asking. In an age where we have enough ordure to deal with beyond our front door, isn’t it time we made a respectful peace behind them?

Spa Cycles probs have a Stronglight Triple crankset for £70 on offer. Good hard rings will be £16 a piece maybe, and mesh with Shimano stuff. My hack mtb get-around is set up with this gear, and it’s really tough / cost effective. Cheap rings seem to eat chains in dirty conditions imho. Lay out a bit more initially.
higher geared than his original but I can recommend this, even though it has gone up £3.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s109p2000/SPA-CYCLES-XD-2-Touring-Triple-Chainset
OK for 8 speed it says.
In normal times in addition to the better rings they would sell spare cheaper ones (similar quality to those that come with it) for about £6 as I recall.
I use mine on a self-built bike I upgraded from 7 speed to 9 speed.
The future is I think replaceable rings - lay in stocks - easy to swap a single problematical ring and ride on.

DRM

Guru
higher geared than his original but I can recommend this, even though it has gone up £3.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s109p2000/SPA-CYCLES-XD-2-Touring-Triple-Chainset
OK for 8 speed it says.
In normal times in addition to the better rings they would sell spare cheaper ones (similar quality to those that come with it) for about £6 as I recall.
I use mine on a self-built bike I upgraded from 7 speed to 9 speed.
The future is I think replaceable rings - lay in stocks - easy to swap a single problematical ring and ride on.
I've fitted one of those on an old Raleigh MTB, thats now become a do it all utility bike, the quality of it is exceptional for the cost, it looks really good on the bike

I've fitted one of those on an old Raleigh MTB, thats now become a do it all utility bike, the quality of it is exceptional for the cost, it looks really good on the bike
yep - i think it's got a really classy simple look - not too surprising as I gather that it is effectively a Sugino. The chainring bolt behind the arm was a bit concerning at first but in practice hasn't been a problem. I think Spa's cheapo spare rings used to maybe come from ones spa had taken apart for folks who decided to go for the upgrade to tougher rings from the outset. I have some cheapo spares but the bike fitted chainset now has two of Spa's better rings on it. I find the gearing ideal for a fastish day-ride and general purpose bike.

Top Bottom