Third Chain In A Year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Nothing like grit for wrecking a drive train, that's why the MTB gets dry lube on the chain, as it's guaranteed to get gritty

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I just needed clarification. I've heard stories about bikes doing 5,000 miles between services but always had my suspicions.

My Apollo hack MTB must have getting on for a couple of thousand miles on it now in my hands, and I've got no idea how many miles with previous owners. I haven't replaced the chain, crankset or any sprockets on it. It is not ridden in crap weather though, and I'm fairly diligent about wiping off the road muck and giving the chain regular fresh lube.
I don't pedal standing up and I'm not a high gear ratio freak. I avoid "nasty" gear ratio conbinations, and I try to spread the wear between the middle and large chainrings. Most of the time I'm pootling around at a modest cadence and with a modest amount of foot pressure on the pedals. It doesn't skip under load yet. I have absolutely no idea what the chain wear percentage is, have never bothered to measure it.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
bad move lovacott - not cheap at all then unless it was given away.
My first replacement crankset was last year when the bike shops were shut. I went online and spent hours trying to figure out what I needed to buy.

I had no idea whether or not I had a square taper BB and I had to count the teeth on the original chainrings to work out what I had to buy as a direct replacement.

I've simply bought like for like spares online as I was not aware of any alternatives.

If you could recommend a 42-34-24 set up with replaceable rings, I'd be well up for it.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
My Apollo hack MTB must have getting on for a couple of thousand miles on it now in my hands, and I've got no idea how many miles with previous owners. I haven't replaced the chain, crankset or any sprockets on it. It is not ridden in crap weather though, and I'm fairly diligent about wiping off the road muck and giving the chain regular fresh lube.
I don't pedal standing up and I'm not a high gear ratio freak. I avoid "nasty" gear ratio conbinations, and I try to spread the wear between the middle and large chainrings. Most of the time I'm pootling around at a modest cadence and with a modest amount of foot pressure on the pedals. It doesn't skip under load yet. I have absolutely no idea what the chain wear percentage is, have never bothered to measure it.
I avoid the small chainring in general use and only use it on the extreme hills when I have to.

On the ten mile commute, I'd say I'm on the middle for six miles, large for three and a half miles and small for half a mile.

On the big hills, there is no getting around putting a bit of brute force into the pedals and this is where the damage gets done.

I'm prepared to pay out for drivetrain spares three times a year if need be. I just wanted an idea as to whether or not this was normal?

newts

Veteran
I hung my chains on a nail on the last change to check after the chain wear gauge said 0.5%.
2490 miles over 15 months
Chain wear was 3.5mm (0.23%) over the length of the chain, maybe i could gone another 1000 miles?
1618664045378.jpeg
1618664080608.jpeg

My first replacement crankset was last year when the bike shops were shut. I went online and spent hours trying to figure out what I needed to buy.

I had no idea whether or not I had a square taper BB and I had to count the teeth on the original chainrings to work out what I had to buy as a direct replacement.

I've simply bought like for like spares online as I was not aware of any alternatives.

If you could recommend a 42-34-24 set up with replaceable rings, I'd be well up for it.
I'd maybe look for a decent quality secondhand square taper Alivio 8 speed - 42 top , 22 bottom, middle is 32 I think. Check out ebay. Spare rings pretty easy to get hold of new - at least in normal times.

This one, though out of stock there of course as it's discontinued.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-Alivio-FC-M410-22-32-42-Square/dp/B000GGV1V0

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I'd maybe look for a decent quality secondhand square taper Alivio 8 speed - 42 top , 22 bottom, middle is 32 I think. Check out ebay. Spare rings pretty easy to get hold of new - at least in normal times.

This one, though out of stock there of course as it's discontinued.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-Alivio-FC-M410-22-32-42-Square/dp/B000GGV1V0

The cheapest I can find is £13.69 per ring when I have just bought an entire crankset for £21.99.

I have another due to be dispatched for even less.

1618671813084.png

On lower end bikes, the economics don't really stack up.

gbb

Legendary Member
I was only getting 1200 to 1600 miles out of 9 and 10 speed chains, 7 speed should last longer in general. I say should....but like most things in life now, quality just isn't there like in the past.
I was only 10.5 stone but could never get great mileages...but I used to attack hills out the saddle, continually push push push, which puts a lot of strain through the chain, hence (I assume) the lower mileages achieved.
Personally I never get too excited about chains, it's a consumable, not particually expensive and no big deal in the scheme of things. I also learned, any amount of cleaning or lubricating regimes did little or nothing to extend chain life in any meaningful way.

The cheapest I can find is £13.69 per ring when I have just bought an entire crankset for £21.99.

I have another due to be dispatched for even less.

View attachment 584410

On lower end bikes, the economics don't really stack up.
So You are spending £22 for one ring worn?
Your call anyway.
My rings cost far less than that, have paid as little as a fiver for some of my stocks.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
So You are spending £22 for one ring worn?
Your call anyway.
My rings cost far less than that, have paid as little as a fiver for some of my stocks.
But like I said before, I can't find a setup with replaceable rings for my bike.

If you can link me to a pair of square taper cranks and three rings to suit, I'd go for it.

Top Bottom