Third Chain In A Year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
21 (3 x 7).

I do a lot of changes and over the last six months, I've got very good at being in the right ratio at the right time whilst avoiding the combinations which would increase wear (big to big, small to small).

Prior to that, I was a bit of a numpty.
In that case a 0.75/1 chain checker should be fine.
I wouldn't use a 0.5/0.75 checker - pretty sure they are for 10 speed and above - you'll be changing chains like no-ones business.
You could always do what I do - use the 0.75/1 checker in combination with the KMC 0.8 checker.

ps - you never answered my question about the crankset - whatever the old one was i hope the newly fitted one allows you to change single rings - i ask as i know some cheapo 7-speed ones don't.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
In that case a 0.75/1 chain checker should be fine.
I wouldn't use a 0.5/0.75 checker - pretty sure they are for 10 speed and above - you'll be changing chains like no-ones business.
I also have the Boardman Road bike which I bought in January on which I've clocked up only 150 miles I could do with a 0.5% checker for that.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
ps - you never answered my question about the crankset - whatever the old one was i hope the newly fitted one allows you to change single rings - i ask as i know some cheapo 7-speed ones don't.

Mine is one of the cheapo cranksets with non replaceable rings.

byegad

Legendary Member
My commuter bike Deore3x9 speed would go through a SRAM chain in 2500 wet and gritty miles in winter and about 3500-4000 miles in summer.

Drago

Legendary Member
The mileage you get from a chain is much the same as I manage. If you're heavy, a powerful rider, or a high gear grinder (Im all 3) then that's not an unsual life for a chain.

I also use KMC chains. Longer lasting than Shimano, cheaper than Wipperman.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
My commuter bike Deore3x9 speed would go through a SRAM chain in 2500 wet and gritty miles in winter and about 3500-4000 miles in summer.
The grit is the problem. Mixes with the chain lube and makes a very effective grinding paste.

Bugger...:shy:

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, theres your answer. Some of tha lads hereabouts are half my weight, so im never surprised when they get double or more the chain life.

Its also worth remembering that the wear rate isn't linear - the more it has worn, the fast it will wear.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
Its also worth remembering that the wear rate isn't linear - the more it has worn, the fast it will wear.
That's why I check every week. The more the chain wears, the more the cogs wear and the more the cogs wear, the more the chain wears.

Exponential growth is a proper git.

Top Bottom