third party liability insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Check your legal cover on your home insurance policy.
Ask on LGFSS?
Otherwise LCC, British Cycling, Cycling U.K., Wiggle, ETA (maybe) offer as part of various paid policies.
Personally I’d get one of the cycling specific policies if unsure, level of cover varies so check
National Clarion also offer cover with membership, one of my cycling mates a CUK (CTC) member is changing to National Clarion , because CUK has changed its membership pricing structure for over 65’s .
Before Drago makes any comments. You no longer have to be a fully paid up lefty to be in the National Clarion .^_^

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
National Clarion also offer cover with membership, one of my cycling mates a CUK (CTC) member is changing to National Clarion , because CUK has changed its membership pricing structure for over 65’s .
Before Drago makes any comments. You no longer have to be a fully paid up lefty to be in the National Clarion .^_^
I don't think @samsbike is over 65 though

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I don't think @samsbike is over 65 though
My cycling chum changed to the Clarion because CUK no longer offers a concessionary rate for over 65’s and the standard Clarion membership fee is less than the standard CUK rate . Hope that clears up the confusion over age.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
You may find that palaver and your massive £2 Fridays annual membership fee may be the best cycling value you ever get.

well, except the more we go down this road, the closer we get to compulsory insurance for cycling in general.

It's genuinely a slippery slope. In the caving world it's good to have 3rd party insurance but primarily to protect organisers and club committee members and such who feel vulnerable to being blamed even on trips they weren't on, but before long it becomes a condition of access, and it's a never ending battle to hold back a need for "certification". Admittedly for caving abroad "rescue" insurance, which you do need, and elderly member of our club couldn't be covered. He was over 80 so you could see their point, but if this also applied to 3rd party cover for the UK - likely a condition of access, he'd have been excluded.

Once you have insurance, people are more likely to claim, courts are more likely to award, and so you need insurance more than ever. It's quite insidious. I saw a very good paper on this - more about the "liability culture" it leads to and how this excludes or discourages participation and volunteering, more and more.

Sorry, off topic for the OP, but maybe needed saying

BC and possibly CUK won’t provide you with legal cover if you crash into another member of the same organisation (be it in a group or riding solo)…so make sure you don’t
(I don’t know if this applies to the 3rd party liability or just solicitor cover so read Ts & C’s carefully)
CUK are entirely happy to pay out for a member-on-member crash. (I have first hand experience!)

But like Vickster, I still advise not crashing into anyone :-)

(BC does have some limitation, but I think it's quite obscure ... a member can clarify ... )

vickster

Legendary Member
CUK are entirely happy to pay out for a member-on-member crash. (I have first hand experience!)

But like Vickster, I still advise not crashing into anyone :-)

(BC does have some limitation, but I think it's quite obscure ... a member can clarify ... )
It’s basically that their solicitors can’t represent two members against each other. Maybe CUK have two legal firms on retailer?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Does 3rd party liability usually have an excess? I don't think there's anything with BC (and they indemnify all claims)

It would be unusual and it might be that they are referring to a plocy including bike cover instead of TP only. Not worded very well on the site. Either that or I'm being dopey.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I am going to join Friday's but need to get third party liability insurance - is that something covered by my home insurance - or would I have it if I am affiliated to LFGSS?

thanks
@samsbike
Not sure if the rulz are still the same but when I was contemplating trying one of the fridays rides a while back it turned out there was try-before-you-buy option for an introductory ride without the insurance.
As it happened, I couldn't move the moon and tides to allow my participation anyway, but after some of the rather hostile and downright obnoxious replies from some fridays members(?) I kind of lost enthusiasm for the idea anyway. You might want to read this before spending unnecessary cash to join a ride with such unwelcoming people? www.cyclechat.net/threads/manchester-blackpool-7th-june-2019.248841

Wobblers

Euthermic
The issue with insurance on the FNRttC is a long and painful one. For many years Simon (Dellzeqq on here, if you can remember back to the old times.. ), who organised the rides never insisted on third party insurance. The problem is that the rides became too popular. They were always CTC (as it was then) rides and thus were supposed to be for CTC/CUK members only. But while the rides were small, a blind eye could be turned. Once 100 people (or more, sometimes!) started showing up, that was no longer tenable.

The biggest issue is that of the liability for the organisers. A surprising number of people contribute to making the FNRttC work - all volunteers. They risked losing everything should something happen. Simon decided to go down making the FNRttC into the Fridays club affiliated with CUK as the least worst option. Reluctantly. That way everyone would have some legal protection.

It certainly makes those rides less inclusive than was the original intention. Sadly, it's necessary thanks to the civil liability quagmire we find yourselves in. It'd be nice if such obstacles weren't necessary - there was a good deal of thought to finding a better solution. Not to be alas. Anyone who could come up with a better solution to the liability puzzle would doubtless be welcomed with open arms.

Full disclosure: yes, I am currently a Fridays member (though I've not done any of the rides for .... rather too many years...)

It’s basically that their solicitors can’t represent two members against each other. Maybe CUK have two legal firms on retailer?
Hmmm. Don't know! It wasn't apparent from the claim I was involved in, but I can see the sense in your "conflict of interest" line.

(There are lots of suitable legal firms around, so maybe when it does crop up, CUK just hire one of those on a 1-off basis. Speculation!)

According to current text on the website, First Timers CAN do *one* ride without your own insurance. But limited spots are available:

First Timers

Our own Affiliate Group insurance through Cycling UK enables us to offer a very limited 'try before you buy' option. You may come along on your FIRST (one, and one only) Fridays ride with no third party insurance cover of your own, and be covered by ours. After that first ride, you must obtain insurance cover of your own by taking out membership with one of the above three cycling organisations.

(You must still pay your £2 Fridays subscription to join your first ride, regardless of insurance status.)

However, we limit the number of 'try before you buy' riders to 10 on each ride. If all these places are taken when you try to register, you will need arrange your own insurance (as above) before you can ride with us.
https://www.fnrttc.org.uk/insurance

Top Bottom