This bikes older than me and I ride it too

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arch684

Veteran
The oldest bike i own is a 1970 bsa that was the year i got married

I still own, and sometimes ride, the bike my father bought the same week as I was born in 1949. I did spend a bit of money restoring it.
Higgins.png

Sorry you beat me hands down ! My earliest bike is the BSA dating from the mid 60s, 9 years younger than me. It must be hard to find bikes more than 60 years old. Ones that were left have probably gone to Africa . I also agree with the previous comments that you have a nice looking cycle.

Last edited:

Bobtoo

Über Member
My son is 19 and his newest bike is 28. This week he's commuting on my Super Galaxy, which is 14 years older than he is.

lukAs98

Its not unusual for people to ride older bikes than them. I ride a 1980s schwinn world sport on a daily basis and am currently restoring a 1951 Royal Enfield. I'm 17 so that means the Royal Enfield is 47 years older than me!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 52

arch684

Veteran
Its not unusual for people to ride older bikes than them. I ride a 1980s schwinn world sport on a daily basis and am currently restoring a 1951 Royal Enfield. I'm 17 so that means the Royal Enfield is 47 years older than me!
Yes but it gets harder the older you become.I'm older than your 1951 royal enfield

Apologies for a late reply, but I have been swanning about in the heat of France watching some foolish bike race or other. The bike in the picture is a 1949 Higgins Ultralight. Fred Higgins is better known for trikes, but did make bikes too at his shop in Croydon. He was renowned for excellent brazing. My father was in the Royal Signals (hence the colours) and raced for his regiment in Army events in the 50s. In the early post-war years components were hard to come by, but the original, possibly pre-war, Stronglight chainset survived. The Gnutti headset is also original. It originally had Resilion brakes, but these were upgraded to GB at some time. The GBs are hopeless, so I dread to think what the originals were like. The hubs are also Resilion, but the original steel rims did not survive. The original Brooks saddle was replaced in the restoration by a new one, but I still use the original on a winter bike. They do soften a bit after 65 years, but still perfectly OK. I ride it on a single fixed, which is what I remember my father using, but he also towed a pram-chassis trailer with two boys in it! (One of them was me, of course.)
The bike was restored by Argos at Bristol (excellent) and built up by Chris Hewitt of Harpenden (also excellent).
As for the shoes, well they are mine and I have had them since 1979, when I bought the Viking Vision (Irish Viking era) which wears the original Brooks.
The striking thing about the Higgins is, well, it is indeed very light. It is also very narrow. It looks like new. Probably its most interesting feature is the stem, which is possibly the only original Higgins made stem to survive, but we are not sure about that. It does have the last of the fancy 531 transfers that Chris Hewitt was given by Fred Higgins' widow after his death.

Thanks for your interest.

Top Bottom