This bikes older than me and I ride it too

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And this is how it looked when I got it back from Chris Hewitt.
019.JPG

As I mentioned above, this is, I believe, the last of the original distinctive Higgins 531 transfers.

029.JPG

I will confess that riding it has not been a big part of my recent past. I have other bikes, you see. Sadly (perhaps) I have never had the heart to get rid of a bike and as a result have a shed full of bikes from various eras. I am currently riding a 1965ish Viking Severn Valley as my Bianchi Sempre is in for Campagnisation of the bottom bracket. (No, BB30s don't last long.)
The difference between the Higgins and a modern bike like the Bianchi is huge. The carbon bike makes a big thing out of rigidity, while the Higgins goes to the opposite extreme. My father mainly raced criteriums on it, and he valued the flex of the frame as he felt it gave him acceleration. Being lugless, it flexes like an elastic band. It is also very, very narrow. The bars seem half the width of a modern bike, but again, I guess that is about racing in confined spaces.
The fixed gear seems quite hard to deal with. 50 years ago I rode fixed all the time (couldn't afford gears!) but the legs are not quite so flexible now. My father was a good 3 inches shorter than me, so the bike is a bit cramped for me. And as for the brakes! Pulling on the levers is no more than a suggestion. The only real braking is by resisting with the pedals.

U

User42423

so I saw in another thread and it got me thinking

mythste said:
You're only as old as the bike you ride, this weather is perfect for browsing for N+1 :angel:
Hmm i am a lot older than the bike i ride.:B)

Never mind all that, who's riding a bike older than themselves then...cant be many takers here?

I have twenty cycles to use, and 3/4's are older than me. My everyday hack is 33 years old. But my oldest is only 119 years!

OP
OP
Gatters

Gatters

sheesh who would have thought it, they're fantastic. however did they come to design that dursley Pederson...and who in their right mind bought it lol...I mean before thee of course :smile:

U

User42423

sheesh who would have thought it, they're fantastic. however did they come to design that dursley Pederson...and who in their right mind bought it lol...I mean before thee of course :smile:

The Dursley story is somewhat complicated. The man who designed it was a Dane called Mikael Pedersen. Apparently, he didn't like the faults of a traditional diamond frame, so set about improving.

Top Bottom