This commute I did not enjoy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
Oh, I see: I need ... N(3)+1 :crazy:
I added an extra bike last year, a cheap MTB of EBay then added Ice Spiker tyres to cope with conditions beyond the capabilities of my Marathon Winters. So now I have four bikes, a sunny day commute road bike, my main commuter bike, my old hybrid commuter with Marathon Winters and a MTB with Ice Spikers, so I cannot use the weather as an excuse:smile: .

Col5632

Guru
Well i thought i would take the bike this morning, thought it can't be that bad and with no ice tyres i set off (you can tell where this is going) and within 0.5 mile of my house i was on my backside on a busy road, turned round and took the car, do ice tyres make a massive difference?

BSRU

A Human Being
Well i thought i would take the bike this morning, thought it can't be that bad and with no ice tyres i set off (you can tell where this is going) and within 0.5 mile of my house i was on my backside on a busy road, turned round and took the car, do ice tyres make a massive difference?
Yes, riding on ice with ice tyres is similar to riding on slick tyres in the wet, that is not riding flat out or putting your knee down on corners.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My 'off' this morning has made me think twice about commuting in all weathers, maybe i need a MB just incase the weather is like today :ohmy:

N+1 and all that. I wouldn't have ridden before I equipped the MTB with studs. They are sensational, but they do have limitations.

Teuchter

Über Member
Looks like there's going to be a run on cheap eBay / Gumtree mountain bikes! Planning this myself as well - of my four bikes (3 road bikes, 1 three speed roadster), none are capable of carrying spiked tyres.

My rides into Glasgow yesterday and today weren't too bad but I'm sticking to main routes. Not seen any gritters so far though. My wife takes the bus to work and on mentioning the ice to the driver this morning, she was told that he'd been driving since 5am (this was 7.30) and he hadn't seen a single gritter. Thinking of applying for a council tax refund from Renfrewshire Council if they don't pull their fingers out!

Robson3022

What about when you get to sections where there is no Snow. What effect does it have on riding with studded/spiked tyre's?

teekay421

My rides into Glasgow yesterday and today weren't too bad but I'm sticking to main routes. Not seen any gritters so far though. My wife takes the bus to work and on mentioning the ice to the driver this morning, she was told that he'd been driving since 5am (this was 7.30) and he hadn't seen a single gritter. Thinking of applying for a council tax refund from Renfrewshire Council if they don't pull their fingers out!
I totally agree with you - I commute through the southside and East Ren have done zero gritting - the main roads are OK but treacherous black ice everywhere and on the pavements. I reckon they're fearful of using their supplies if not sub zero forecasts overnight. I'm really keen to get a second bike for these conditions. One day.

Top Bottom