This commute I did not enjoy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Woke up today to a flurry of snow on the ground, maybe an inch or so.
Due at work for 8am, left at 7, I find that on leaving that half hour earlier I miss most of the heavy traffic.
The plan was to check out the main roads, take the bus if I have to.
Had to wheel the bike out of my housing estate, found out the Marathon Winters, great on ice, have not much grip on snow slush.
Main road going to town was gritted: well done South Lanarkshire Council!
Unashamedly, took the middle of my lane all through the dual carriage way, this morning you really did not want to ride in the gutter!
Have to say the traffic, mostly white vans and taxis, was quite patient with me, then again, the lane next to mine was empty.
At one point, looking at what's behind me on the ASL (as one does :whistle:) I see the most enormous Chivas Regal distillery truck going my way :eek: ... the driver was actually very nice, letting me turn left, overtaking giving plenty of room .... now, I am practically riding without using my brakes in case I slide ... decide to skip the park, take the main road (round the Gorbals baths, for the Glasgow people).
To my great dismay that road had not been gritted: it belongs to a different local authority: shame on Glasgow City Council!
It was a nightmare of semi melted snow debris on top of ice filling deep potholes and stayed so for the last couple of miles to my work.
That was the most uneasy ever I felt on my commute, in spite of the still scarce traffic.
On a lighter note, I got beeped at only twice on my way in (one was a taxi, ha ha!) and only once on my way home, but this latter one (Scottish gas van) also swore at me, so he counts for 3 :laugh:

HovR

Über Member
Sounds like an adventure - I like a bit of snow, keeps you on your toes! :laugh:

None down here though, just cold and damp. Our council pre-gritted the roads, meaning all the water flicked up on to my chain is nice and corrosive. ;)

OP
OP
Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Snow Studs ! You do generally need an MTB for these though. Ice/snow/mud - awesome.
I've got Marathon Winters, Fossy: they were great on icy conditions, not so good on the snow slush ... or maybe I'm just a bit of a numpty :blush:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got Marathon Winters, Fossy: they were great on icy conditions, not so good on the snow slush ... or maybe I'm just a bit of a numpty :blush:

I know you have Winters, but Snow studs are better in snow/all round - sorry ! Winters better for tarmac, but snow is different - bit like mud !

jim55

Guru
i chickened out and took the car (again) ,my ss is in bits and thats got 28mm tyres which id imagine to b better on roads right now,so iv only got my road bike ,which is on 23mm slicks which i dont really fancy on ice

edindave

Über Member
You survived! Successful commute any day. You didn't fall off - even better!
Hopefully the gritters will be out today/tonight on those other roads and you'll be sorted. :thumbsup:

Sounds eventful Pat; I just had a laugh at drivers on my commute. An estate car pulled out of a school straight into the side of a people carrier (hard thing to miss). I was going to stop to offer to be a witness but the driver of the people carrier looked in a foul mood and tbh I couldn't be bothered dealing with that first thing on a Monday morning. I'm feeling a bit guilty now the estate car driver might have needed support. A mile or so away on a quiet residential street a driver pulled out of a parking space and nearly had a crash. The car he nearly crashed into drove a bit sheepishly after then. There wasnt any room to overtake him but not having stopped earlier :blush: I was in no rush, the 4x4 driver behind was :rolleyes: He finally got 3/4 by as we approached a junction where he had to join a half mile queue. I was tempted to wave goodbye as I filtered through but I resisted the urge. Apart from feeling guilty about not stopping I quite enjoyed my commute.

snorri

Legendary Member
Oh, I see: I need ... N(3)+1 :crazy:
Sometimes a bike just cannae whack it, regardless of who is pedalling, and it's time for modal shift.
helico0473862.jpg
:thumbsup:

Top Bottom