This gives a new meaning to "washing cycle"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
It's from April last year, but a quick forum search didn't turn up anything:

http://www.techly.com.au/2015/04/20/cycle-way-clean-laundry-bike-washing-machine/

Some of the comments are a bit negative, saying "how can you save power, when you have to eat more to do all that cycling?". However, if you're stuck inside in the UK Winter (yes, I feel for you lot, right now! :laugh:), then this is as good a way as any to do the washing, I guess. Plus, these commenters are missing the point that sometimes it's beneficial to expend (a little) more energy than you put in through food: it's called "exercise". :rolleyes:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
But would you take it for a spin?

Globalti

Legendary Member
That's so low-tech. It would be more effective if it was connected to the water suppy and drainage and controlled by a processor, which told the rider how much effort was needed. So for example a one-hour training session could finish with a mad sprint to spin the clothes, followed by a gradual warm-down in which the clothes tumble gently to unclog. Who knows, the makers ought to be able to add a frisson of excitement to the programme:

"GF's naughty undies being washed; gentle washing only to conserve strength for later!"

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
This popped up on my Faceache.
http://www.offgridquest.com/gadgets/exercise-and-wash-laundry-at-the-same-ti
2.jpg

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It was on here year ago. It was a thread that I started. I found the story on flipboard.:okay:

also
Chinese designers come up with exercise bike that washes your clothes as you pedal
Household chores is one reason give by would-be exercisers to skip off the sweating, but what if you could manage both at once?

The Bike Washing Machine, invented by engineers in China, replaces the front wheel of a stationary exercise bike with a washing drum

The designers, based at Dalian Nationalities University, China, say cyclists would be able to save electricity by washing clothes as they exercise.

The pedalling motion spins the drum, churning the clothes and making sure the soap penetrates the fibres.

Any extra energy generated by the cycling is stored for another wash later, in case you’re too tired.

Once the soaping phase is done, the water is replaced and a rinse and spin cycle can be carried out.

In densely populated China, the designers say the Bike Washing Machine could be ideal for those living in small spaces who might otherwise have to choose between a washing machine or exercise equipment.

What’s more it could be cheaper than paying for electricity, or come in useful in countries without reliable power supplies.

On Tuvie, a design sharing site, the designers said: 'Riding a bike is a popular exercise, washing laundry is something that you might do on daily basis or at least once a week, unless you keep buying new clothes and underwear, so why not combine them into a single useful equipment/appliance?

Could give a whole new meaning to going to a spinning session though.
and
A FULL CYCLE WASH
A LOCAL couple are utilising natural resources and preserving the environment after they created a way of running their washing machine using a bicycle.

Pat O’Brien and Tina Carolan run the Kylemore Natural Energy centre just outside New Ross and such is their expertise at being self-sufficient that they haven’t had electricity supplied to the centre for around 13 years and instead rely on all natural energy to run their home.

From growing their own vegetables to running an electric vehicle from solar energy the couple are paving the way in terms of respecting the earth and harnessing natural resources in a very positive way.

However, their latest invention is sure to create a lot of interest – especially from people interested in fitness and well-being – as it involved redesigning a bicycle and the working mechanism of a washing machine so that the bike runs the latter.

“We thought this would be a great thing to do,” said Tina, who is a former fitness instructor.

“Especially nowadays when there is so much in the news about obesity levels, people being overweight and the need to adopt a healthier lifestyle,” she added.

Pat set to work creating the mechanism through which the machine could be run off the bicycle and after trial and error eventually worked out a system that allows Tina to literally pedal her way through the washing each day; something that she is very happy about.

“I think it’s great because for me it’s a means of getting exercise while at the same we’re getting the washing done and it’s all completely without the need for electricity,” she said.

“It’s a different way of thinking,” she added.

“It’s adopting the idea that you don’t need electricity to wash your clothes but a lot of thought had to go into it before it came right.”

In addition to the fitness benefits of running the washing machine from a bicycle Tina also said in practical terms it helps with bills.

Top Bottom