This is a helmet debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
A friend of mine is 87 and smokes around 45 fags a day. He is fit as a fiddle and is often seen locally walking for several hours a day before going the local pub most nights
Is this proof that smoking isnt bad for you?

tyred

Legendary Member
A friend of mine is 87 and smokes around 45 fags a day. He is fit as a fiddle and is often seen locally walking for several hours a day before going the local pub most nights

No, it means he has kept himself active and probably lives healthily in other ways and also doesn't have any hereditary heart problems in his family.

Rebel Ian

What interests me is not that you think that a helmet might save you (it might, it might not) but why you seem to be on a crusade to preach to others what they should do when it is nobody's choice but their own.

Midnight

I've got no way of quantifying the relative safety of riding around on my bike versus something more 'twitchy', but then since this is a helmet debate I don't need to, I can just shout at people that they are crazy, near-suicidal, for making different choices from me, on the basis of precious little. :rolleyes:

...so uninformed lectured are par for the course...

Pot calling the kettle...

...do feel free to chip in with a study about acorns falling from trees or something like that.

Or pink bicycles, perhaps?

OP
OP
david k

david k

Hi
What interests me is not that you think that a helmet might save you (it might, it might not) but why you seem to be on a crusade to preach to others what they should do when it is nobody's choice but their own.

Please show me where i have told people to wear a helmet?

What gets me is people say they prefer to wear a helmet and others jump on them to lecture them that its pointless, very strange. it is their choice if they want to wear one, why should they be told they cannot?

Rebel Ian

Please show me where i have told people to wear a helmet?

What gets me is people say they prefer to wear a helmet and others jump on them to lecture them that its pointless, very strange. it is their choice if they want to wear one, why should they be told they cannot?

If it's upto individual choice (which I also believe) why not just say it's your choice and leave it at that?

Norm

Just to make the point that david k's position has been about choice rather than telling people what to with regards to helmet-wearing...

i have never said that helmets are the be all and end all or told people they must wear them. i simply said i prefer to wear them and gave my points. It is also a valid point that pros have it enforced upon them.
it is others who are trying to prove me wrong. I have the same view as before, i prefer to wear a helmet than not, i feel better with it on, i fancy my chances more with than without. if you dont feel the same way fine, dont wear a helmet.

lol, ive stated numerous times that i respect your opinions, i may think they are wrong but i respect they are yours.
<<snipped>>

i can accept your point of view and opinion although i disagree. You cannot bring yourself to even consider accepting i have a different opinion.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I long ago accepted that david k has his own opinion on the matter, but it seems right now that the only choice I have regarding whether I want to be reminded of that opinion every time a related subject comes up is to avoid all threads that involve helmets or to use the board "ignore" function.

This is supposed to be a thread on why the pros wear helmets. David (a) isn't a pro, (b) has already told us why he wears a helmet anyway. I'm perfectly happy that he has a free choice to wear a helmet or not, but it's really not that interesting to be continually reminded of it. Even if he doesn't wish to lecture people about it, that's how it comes across

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I've found some more evidence to show that I've got nothing better to do...

gallery_3629_9_19481.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom