This jogging malarkey!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nappadang

nappadang

Über Member
Anything over 5k in 30 mins is very good, you must have been fairly going for it. As in properly running, not jogging.
I'm going to work feeling pretty good about myself, thanks.
In a strange sort of way, I'm quite looking forward to having another pop at it tonight. I been looking at running shoes on t'interweb as well. Decent ones are not cheap!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I did a little bit in my late 30s and really enjoyed it. If cycling gets any more expensive I might have to revert! No mechanical worries.......well, other than your knees. :laugh:

sazzaa

I've barely done any running this winter, wind hugely puts me off, but I really enjoy trail running, I have a couple of hilly forests just a few minutes drive away, they're so much more interesting than a treadmill or a pavement... I found I was much better outdoors than in the gym.

sazzaa

I'm going to work feeling pretty good about myself, thanks.
In a strange sort of way, I'm quite looking forward to having another pop at it tonight. I been looking at running shoes on t'interweb as well. Decent ones are not cheap!

I spent cash on trainers from a running shop, but my cheaper sports direct pair are much better!

My bike is in for repair tomorrow so I was faced with the prospect of either doing nothing or looking for an alternative form of exercise. I've list a lot of weight (4 stone) since I got the bike in July and I have been making good progress with my fitness..... Or so I thought until I decided to go for a run tonight.
Piece of cake I thought, boy was I ever wrong! I did 6km in about 30 mins (no laughing). I am amazed at how hard this was and my leg muscles are aching.
I'm in the process of reevaluating my fitness progress. I know I'm doing Ok and I'm much fitter than I was but tonight has shown me that I still have a long way to go. Another thing I've gained tonight is a massive respect for regular runners.
You only have one bike? C'mon get a grip!

Before I started cycling to work I tried jogging.... It got easier the more you did it but I found it was finding the time (and the inclination in winter) to put the mileage in. One day though I measured a mile in my car and then ran it as fast as I could (serious full pelt) and managed a 7 and half minute mile... and then had to walk the rest of the 'run' cause I was cream crackered so respect to the marathon runners who can put 26 x 5 min miles!

Ian A

Über Member
My bike is in for repair tomorrow so I was faced with the prospect of either doing nothing or looking for an alternative form of exercise. I've list a lot of weight (4 stone) since I got the bike in July and I have been making good progress with my fitness..... Or so I thought until I decided to go for a run tonight.
Piece of cake I thought, boy was I ever wrong! I did 6km in about 30 mins (no laughing). I am amazed at how hard this was and my leg muscles are aching.
I'm in the process of reevaluating my fitness progress. I know I'm doing Ok and I'm much fitter than I was but tonight has shown me that I still have a long way to go. Another thing I've gained tonight is a massive respect for regular runners.

6KM in 30 minutes is a good pace for a first run. That pace would set you up for a 50 min 10k if you could keep it up. Running is very different to cycling when you first start. It took me a while to get this and even longer before I could run at "zone 2" intensity. The idea of breathing easily or being able to hold a conversation while running was a joke. I originally did it because I had nowhere near enough time to get decent bike rides in. Now I love running.

sazzaa

I started with the Couch 2 5k app, thought my lungs were going to burst after 90 seconds of running but within a few weeks I was doing about 12-15 mins without stopping. It's worth doing even if you think you're not a runner (like me), your body gets used to it very quickly. Kinda like cycling. But being fit in one discipline doesn't make you fit in the other!

Flixton

Stick with the running nappadang. If you have already some background fitness from cycling then you will be surprised how quickly you get into running. Running is my main thing (fitness only not competitive) and I am now starting to get into cycling. I find if I have a had even a year off any form of exercise after a month of running three times a week you suddenly find yourself running to quite a reasonable standard and not dreading every hill you encounter like you were some weeks before. I am a firm believer in varying your exercise ie. mixing running and cycling etc. to avoid injury and build up overall fitness. I tend to run if the weathers wet/windy or I don't have time available and cycle if it's dry and I have a couple of hours to spare. Generally means running weekdays and cycling weekends. Well done on the weight loss, four stone is some going !

It works the other way around as well. I did a ride today after three months of running and it just felt hard work all the way, especially into the wind.

Top Bottom