This left me quite shaken last night, and i was not even involved.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Sorry, I disagree. I often agree with what you say, MJ, but this time I think you've let your love of segregated cycle facilities get the better of you. Without the blue painted strip the cyclists would be among the traffic, controlling it if need be. Seems to me the overtaker was overkeen to remain inside what he saw as 'our' zone, whereas all the road belongs to all of us. You are unconsciously buying into the idea that motor vehicles take precedence and must never be delayed even by a few seconds.
Wrong on two levels: firstly, that's not segregated; secondly, I explicitly reject that idea and think motor vehicles should be delayed when needed to ease cycling because they're the ones who all have motors while cyclists are using human power.

I just think that it's much more likely that the nobber misjudged the speed of the bike in front and chose the wrong option of trying to squeeze between the bike and the truck's path, so it wouldn't have made much difference whether the bike was near the edge of the cycle lane or another lane. The basic problem is the barger went for a gap that didn't exist.

migrantwing

Veteran
Maybe he shifted his weight as he misjudged the pass and didn't want to end up under the truck? Although, his actions nearly caused the other cyclist to do just that.

F*cking idiot!

Shaun

Founder
Bloody hell :blink: ... I think I'd have needed some clean trousers if I'd been on the 'Boris' bike, that could have ended so badly for him (or ended him!). What the hell was the other cyclists doing / thinking? What a farkin schwellend! :angry:

.stu

Über Member
The barger is the one to the right at front next to the VW car.
Agree with you 100% You can tell from the white band around his left thigh which is quite obvious both at the beginning of the clip and the end when the lights change.
To be fair I don't think he meant it - the Boris biker swerved right by about 6 inches moments before the collision and the barger just hadn't given him enough room, but as a cyclist he should have known better.

U

User6179

Agree with you 100% You can tell from the white band around his left thigh which is quite obvious both at the beginning of the clip and the end when the lights change.
To be fair I don't think he meant it - the Boris biker swerved right by about 6 inches moments before the collision and the barger just hadn't given him enough room, but as a cyclist he should have known better.

Yes was the white band I noticed , think it was unintentional myself , just poor judgement , hope he does not drive a car like that !

Lonestar

Veteran
Yes was the white band I noticed , think it was unintentional myself , just poor judgement , hope he does not drive a car like that !

Sums up what you get on the Cycle Superhighway routes.Apart form joggers/pedestrians as well as cars/motorbikes doing illegal turns or using the cycle super highway(also I have seen vehicles blocking it at times).I dread the commute at times now.

Last night on the late return back cyclist (CS3) on his mobile yet again and on the CS 2 they even cycle in the wrong direction with no lights.Think I miss mixing it with the cars now.At least it wasn't as bad.Not forgetting the numerous red light jumpers.One was in a pedalo last night and jumped every red between Mile End and Bow.Even overtaking me stopped at one red near bow at a rate of knots.When stuck behind an obvious slow red light jumped it then becomes tedious overtaking him knowing full well he's going to be whizzxing through the next set of reds.Kept up with one the other night even though he jumped 12 reds.

Perhaps they should have an Australian sort crackdown because that's what we bloody need.

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
It's impossible to judge intent from the footage, he moves out then back in before moving out again. The other cyclist could have slowed unexpectedly.

Either way the cyclist is at fault and looks like he apologised over his shoulder - possibly doesn't realise the effect of the collision.

ozboz

Guru
Whether it was deliberate or not the consequence of his action could well have put himself under the wheels of that flatbed wagon also , its a pity the the video maker did not go forward at the lights and get a face , but id say he was well shaken by the incident , the vid has been circulated to other London cycling org's , ive personally rode that stretch , thinking im as safe as , it appears you cannot put your guard down anywhere ,

MarkF

Guru
Why should he be cut slack because he is riding a bike? There has been plenty of drivers named and shamed and gleeful enjoyment had by plenty on here.

It was an awful bit of cycling, compounded by the danger he put another rider in, and his total lack of concern/compassion. I thought it was going to be another boring "nothing" video, but it was horrible.

Looks deliberate to me, how can anybody do that accidently and just not care?

Lonestar

Veteran
It is and one reason segregation/ separation is not the answer .

I think I agree 100% here.In fact with what I've seen recently,yes.

My workmate now says he's nervous of riding in traffic because of too much segregation although I am not.I'm more nervous cycling in the segregation.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I remind you again that isn't segregation. I also suggest riding in current Netherlands and France where similar lanes seem to work. Is London too full of nobbers (motorsts and cyclists and walkers too) for them to work here?

Top Bottom