This made me laugh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I heard this story on the car radio last night. People in Nigeria staying in a village called 'area of idiots' have just changed the name to 'area of plenty.' https://kampalapost.com/content/nigerias-idiots-village-residents-celebrate-new-name
In blighty some bright spark would soon add "of idiots" at the end of the new name.

The bright sparks round here prefer to remove letters from signs. There are several signs which now point the way to the Rochdale anal!
Ah yes, Canal Street in Manchester, I used to chuckle when driving along Chorlton Street to see the sign that remained "doctored" for many years without rectification by the city council. The sign was missing two letters.
Some other signs I remember had civic information type messages, on a Sharston roundabout Wythenshawe area "BENCHILL- Enter at own risk"

A sign near Rochdale for "Kirkholt", someone had managed to squeeze "Google" above Kirkholt. Intrigued I did indeed google Kirkholt and the first none ad or map result when clicked on has a comment on the page that goes "Find it really annoying that when you google kirkholt this is the first drivel that comes up, this has been the same for the last 4 years, why does this totally negative story come up as first story"? I just tried again and sure enough a disparaging piece comes in top, again after god knows how long.

Drago

Legendary Member
The bright sparks round here prefer to remove letters from signs. There are several signs which now point the way to the Rochdale anal!
I live near the Grand Union anal, and the anal Museum, and Neport anel is about 10 miles away.

I should disapprove of such wanton vandlism, but whoever is doing it is doing a neat job and it always makes me chuckle.

Brandane

Legendary Member
This one was for real, while they were building the Dalry by-pass through the valley beyond the fencing (and yes, I DID ignore the warning signs at the previous junction!). On a NCN route too. Thankfully all done now with a bridge in place, and a much quieter road through Dalry as a result.

Sixmile

Veteran
Allegedly this involved lifting the bike around 2 harris fences, squeezing between thorn bushes, round 2 diggers and over a pile of rubble that was in place so the diggers couldn't be driven up the road towards the cash machine, whilst negotiating the road with a big drop at one side as the bridge wall had been removed for rebuild. By not using this stretch, the diversion put an extra 3 miles on.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I ignored one road closure and carried on, but when I went round a bend I found that a new motorway junction was being built ahead of me. There was a vast muddy landscape populated by JCBs busy digging away. I conceded defeat on that one!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Looks like the council themselves have added the extra letter on this one

Attachments

• A7A7187B-E325-4853-AD49-8FA7BF68BDB8.jpeg
    A7A7187B-E325-4853-AD49-8FA7BF68BDB8.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 2
Top Bottom