This seat height malarky

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
So, following sage advice, I have put my seat up just another touch so that when my foot is on the pedal at the bottom my knee is only very slightly bent. That's right yes?!
It does feel much better when pedalling and I'm not hanging off the back of the seat anymore - although I am making a concious effort on that part. Dh also noticed I'm actually keeping my feet on the pedals properly and not sliding my feet further forward than they should be. Go me!
AND - I can still reach the floor, although I've realised this is because I lean the bike when I get off.
Still, suits me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Rough starting point is that with the pedal at the bottom of the stroke, in bear feet, you should just be able to touch the axle with your heal with a straight leg. Repeat a few times.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Rough starting point is that with the pedal at the bottom of the stroke, in bear feet, you should just be able to touch the axle with your heal with a straight leg. Repeat a few times.
Might be a bit warm for summer though:whistle:
bear-cute-feet-legs-shoes-slippers-Favim.com-106176_large.jpg

Nearly there

Veteran
So, following sage advice, I have put my seat up just another touch so that when my foot is on the pedal at the bottom my knee is only very slightly bent. That's right yes?!
It does feel much better when pedalling and I'm not hanging off the back of the seat anymore - although I am making a concious effort on that part. Dh also noticed I'm actually keeping my feet on the pedals properly and not sliding my feet further forward than they should be. Go me!
AND - I can still reach the floor, although I've realised this is because I lean the bike when I get off.
Still, suits me.
A work colleague of mine has his seat really low and comments how tough it is on the legs I did try and explain to him about having a slight bend in the leg is the way to go,but i think he thinks im winding him up and he still hasn't put his seat up.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran

Apart from the "bear" feet, that's pretty much where I'm at.
Nearly there - my son was really reluctant to listen to me about seat heights, until he came home from a long ride and said "my legs are really sore, would putting my seat up make a difference?" Kids!!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It's amazing how small adjustments can make a big difference.

A couple of weeks ago, I remove the seatpost, cleaned, greased and re-installed to silence a creak.

I had a niggly pain in my right knee for severals days after, until I realised that perhaps I'd put the seatpost in the wrong position. So I stopped during my commute and moved it up 1mm.

Perfect - pain gone away and pedalling felt more natural.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
As a note. That method is well off the mark if you have big feet.

Which would be great ... except that it doesn't take in to account the height of the BB.

True, that is why it is an approximation. So far I have been lucky in that all my bikes appear to have BB's at about the same height. Possibly due to none of them being MTB's and all of them designed for road use in one form or another.

Top Bottom